Author Topic: Just visiting 1 website can do a lot :-(  (Read 4113 times)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Just visiting 1 website can do a lot :-(
« on: November 26, 2004, 10:24:22 AM »
Watch the video on this page http://www.benedelman.org/ to see what visiting just one(!) website with Internet Explorer can bring you. It is prefered to watch the video on full screen.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Just visiting 1 website can do a lot :-(
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2004, 11:04:31 AM »
Just some facts coming from reliable/trusted security websites, newsletters and magazines.

- Sober.I is this years most widely and most rapidly spreading worm.
Over 25% of last weeks emails where infected with it. (info in Dutch)

- 75% of all systems are infected with malware

- According to Steve Ballmer, Bill Gates is on the receiving end of 4 million emails every day, the majority of which are spam. That makes Bill the most spammed person on this planet. (info)

- There is now also a spam-museum (info)

- Internet Explorer is loosing terrain to other browsers (info)

a61_a61

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2004, 03:23:28 PM »
Good site Eddy!

On the first video it looks like he gave his total consent to have the stuff install starting when he choose yes to run the script, and from then on.

The second video is an example of someone who doesn't know what they are doing when it comes to installing software, they asked for it.

But it's a super site
a61

lee16

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2004, 03:29:23 PM »
Yep really does show the dangers, thats why i use Firefox, it automaticly blocks installs like that untill u allow it though the options.
Even though i think this is immplemented into the SP2 IE now, am i right?

--lee

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2004, 04:37:31 PM »
Yeah, ignorance is bliss... people like to instal every single thing that is offered on the screen with some stupid pop-up. I think everyone should learn by now how those things works... but still, I have so many customers that just don't want to listen advices that comes from experts. They like to click and open every single window that comes to their screen and that's the biggest source of their problems. One guy, told me: "...but, what could I do ? I've got pop-up message that I won 1 million dollars and I just have to click OK and money will be transfered to my account..."

Aha, I told him... first of all, no one will ever give you any amount of money just like that, use your logic and common sense. Second of all, how could they possibly know your account number ? Unless, you filled some form as well on the internet giving them your personal information  ;D Oh my God...

Cleaning of his system, took me exactly good 4 hours. And, no.. Company that I work for, doesn't charge by hour spent on fixing problems. Our customers have a contract with us, and whenever they need our help, we have to run... doesn't matter, is it middle of the night, or weekend or holidays, etc...

lee16

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2004, 04:45:02 PM »
Yeah, ignorance is bliss... people like to instal every single thing that is offered on the screen with some stupid pop-up. I think everyone should learn by now how those things works... but still, I have so many customers that just don't want to listen advices that comes from experts. They like to click and open every single window that comes to their screen and that's the biggest source of their problems
Isn't that a good thing for people like you and Eddy?, as this way people give you money to fix there systems ;D

Our customers have a contract with us, and whenever they need our help, we have to run... doesn't matter, is it middle of the night, or weekend or holidays, etc.

Get there late and blame it on traffic  :P

--lee

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2004, 05:59:40 PM »
Haha, I wish it's that easy Lee...  ;D

Isn't that a good thing for people like you and Eddy?, as this way people give you money to fix there systems

Well, I don't get that money directly from customers, but they keep me busy, that's for sure. And, sometimes I really feel like money is not the most important thing (even if we all know that it really is.. can't live if you don't have money, can't get well if you are ill and you don't have money for medications, can't have family if you don't have money.. so...). Sometimes I really feel sory for those people that really don't pay attention to basic security precautions... It's nice when people like Eddy and me have stady work, but still, there are other things we should fix on their systems more often... not security problems. Security should be the most important thing for everyone who turns on his/her computer and people should learn to take care of their security themselves. That would be much better for all...