Author Topic: Unable to install Avast Firewall Driver  (Read 6502 times)

Offline stevedicamillo

Unable to install Avast Firewall Driver
« on: January 12, 2012, 03:51:32 PM »
Hello - I was working on one of my computers and when looking in the device manager notices several network adapter entries marked as unknown device.  I tried to let Windows 7 (64 bit home premium) update the driver, and each one was trying to install the avast firewall miniport driver, but the driver could not install successfully for any of the entries.  So I tried to do a full uninstall of avast IS, including use of the uninstall tool, and then a clean install using the latest download of avast IS.  The clean install failed to install the firewall driver.  I don't see any unknown network adapters in device manager and as expected no instances of the firewall miniport show up either.  The install log file is attached.  The last line shows:

12.01.2012 08:55:33 system: Error installing C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\Setup\Inf\x64\aswNdisPt.inf (0x800705AA)

I'm not quite sure when this problem started as I do not use this computer often, but as far as I can recall everything was fine a few months ago when I last spent some time using this computer

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Unable to install Avast Firewall Driver
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2012, 05:41:15 PM »
what AV was on the computer before avast ?
was it delivered with a preinstalled AV when new ?
was it uninstalled before installing avast ?
did you run a removal tool to clear out any leftover files ?

run and reboot - Uninstallers – Security Software
http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/

Offline stevedicamillo

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2012, 06:34:18 PM »
The latest Avast IS has been on this computer for over a year, and was working fine up until a short while ago - again not completely sure when things stopped working.  Previous to that, a trial of Norton was on and I used the Norton uninstall tool to clear that out before the original Avast IS installation.

BearObi

« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2012, 01:58:50 PM »
Hi, I am having very similar issues. I noticed unknown devices appear on my network adapters and Avast IS firewall interface tab disappear..

I started having issues with a firewall blocking certain software I wished to install. I have read a few forum posts and have downloaded the uninstall program, uninstalled avast IS completely and re-installed twice now and the disappearance of the firewall tab in the UI was fixed but now I have the issue with no firewall driver being installed.

I can't start Avast IS firewall due to the error message 'Unable to start firewall!' appearing and when I click on Firewall logs the error message 'The system cannot open the device or file specified'.

Any help would be fantastic.

BearObi

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2012, 02:05:56 PM »
Just tried to repair the avast software and error message 'unable to install firewall driver' appeared.

I have attached the log if thats any help.

Thanks.

Offline stevedicamillo

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2012, 02:11:49 PM »
After a few days with no response I bit the bullet and reinstalled Windows - ran into problems with the inplace upgrade so started fresh and then restored files from a backup.  This did resolve the problem, but hopefully there is an easier way.

BearObi

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 06:48:19 PM »
Thanks for the heads up Steve, but I am hoping there is an easier less painful way of fixing the problem. But it looks like I may have to reinstall at this rate...

REDACTED

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2013, 05:20:18 PM »
Hi,

I hit the same problem. However, reinstalling my notebook is not an option.
Will send report avast and if not reply, may asked for refund........

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2013, 05:44:57 PM »
Hi,

I hit the same problem. However, reinstalling my notebook is not an option.
Will send report avast and if not reply, may asked for refund........
I'd suggest for you to start a new topic about your issue as this thread is a year old and there have been numerous avast updates since.