Author Topic: SF.bin slowing down programs?  (Read 3195 times)

M4dn3ss

SF.bin slowing down programs?
« on: January 16, 2012, 10:52:28 AM »
So I was using a program called ExeScript, which lets you create exe files out of batch files (or vbs or other sorts of scripts) and when compiling the exe, it takes a very long time during which the program doesn't respond.
In the directory where the exe is being created, other temp files with random names are created and removed automatically, and after a very long time the exe compiling is done.
When I look in Task Manager while the exe is building, I see a process called Sf.bin and the description says Avast Emulation Engine, and it uses 25% cpu usage (since I have a quad core CPU I'm assuming it's using 100% of one of the cores).
But if I disable Avast, the program compiles the exe almost instantanously. Adding stuff the exceptions doesn't work, and disabling the Auto Sandbox doesn't work either (the program doesn't pop up an Auto Sandbox alert in the first place anyway).
Any way to disable SF.bin or at least do something to stop it?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: SF.bin slowing down programs?
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2012, 11:03:30 AM »
Have no idea if this will work...but you can try

if you do all this work in a folder ?....you could try to exclude that folder from file shield scanning  

see the picture at the bottom of this guide
http://www.softactivity.com/blog/index.php/2010/add-exclusions-to-avast-free-antivirus-5/
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 11:05:18 AM by Pondus »

M4dn3ss

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2012, 11:35:05 AM »
Yeah, I tried exclusions and it didn't seem to do anything to help

ady4um

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2012, 01:33:34 PM »
Where exactly you added the exclusions? Was under Avast main GUI -> settings? Or was in File System Shield specific exclusions? You may try adding exclusions to EACH and ALL shields. Please report back.