Author Topic: Avast 4.5 and Sounds  (Read 7360 times)

Patty15

Avast 4.5 and Sounds
« on: November 26, 2004, 07:14:20 PM »
I have been having a problem with the Avast Sounds since upgrading to version 4.5.523.  This irritating alarm and caution message comes up when I am downloading certain emails.  I do not want ANY Avast sounds.  I have eyes, I can read the message.  The sound is so irritating and since my computer is in an area of my house where others are, I do not want the irritating sound bothering them too.  I have checked "Disable Avast Sounds" under the Sound Setting in Avast.  No joy, this one irritating sound still persists (file name suspic.wav).  I have deleted the wav file and Avast remakes it.  How can I stop this stupid sound short of turning off my speakers, which I don't want to do because there are other sounds on my computer that I'd like to hear?  Thanks.  

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Avast 4.5 and Sounds
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2004, 07:15:06 PM »
Just disable it in the settings if you don't want them and/or set Avast to run in silent mode.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2004, 07:15:38 PM by Eddy »

Patty15

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2004, 09:25:18 PM »
Hello?  Did you read what I wrote?  I DID disable it in the Avast Sound Settings.  It still persists.  I removed it all from the "Sounds" in my Windows XP SP2.  It still persists.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2004, 09:44:39 PM »
Did you read what I wrote?
and/or set Avast to run in silent mode.

Patty15

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2004, 10:17:35 PM »
Yes, I did.  

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2004, 10:22:17 PM »
Did what?
Read what I said, or set Avast to run in silent mode?
If it is the last one, how exactly did you do it?

Patty15

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2004, 01:59:40 AM »
I see no where in the free Avast settings to set Avast to be silent.  Only to disable sounds which I have done and that one particular continues to be there.

inthewildteam

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2004, 02:05:20 AM »
Turn the volume down?

Sorry!

Patty15

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2004, 02:53:04 AM »
I was looking for assistance and all I am getting are idiot responses.  I'm sorry.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2004, 03:06:31 AM »
I do not want ANY Avast sounds.

Browse into 'Settings' in my signature and you will be able to find other settings to avoid audio/visual warnings. Oh, Silent Mode is necessary  ;)
The best things in life are free.

inthewildteam

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2004, 03:10:29 AM »
Eddy's replies were quite correct, mine was somewhat flippant but I still have a sense of humour!

Why are you getting so many alarms in your emails ......set up a rule to delete them if they are identified as infected.

After trying Eddy's suggestions and it still doesn't work, try repairing your avast installation from control panel and try disabling the sounds again.

If that fails, post back, just keep the volume down when you check your mail until we sort it  ;D

Patty15

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2004, 04:00:57 AM »
Inthewild, I'm not sure I understand, "After trying Eddy's suggestions and it still doesn't work, try repairing your avast installation from control panel and try disabling the sounds again."  How do I repair the installation from the control panel?  Also, as far as setting rules, these are random heuristic catches by Avast that there are no definite rules to, except that avast detects some type of html code in the email that it finds suspicious.  Basically this is an email address that I use widely on the web and it catches a vast amount of spam and such because it is used widely on the web.  Sort of my basic "junk email address" that you occasionally need to register on websites and such.  I need to clean it out occasionally and it gets these hits which I know are not important emails, but I still need to download them to clear them out of the server.  I just find the one avast message annoying, it appears that it's the only one that seems to ignore the settings in avast, all the others appear to be silent.  

Technical, I'm not sure what ini settings I'm looking for.  I skimmed the list looking for something that points to sounds but I could not find it.

Thanks to both of you.

inthewildteam

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2004, 04:19:39 AM »
Patty15

Grab youself Poptray to check your emails and delete the spam from your server before downloading the rest to your machine.

You have the option to repair avast by going to control panel/avast/uninstall/repair etc

You could set your email client to only allow plain text and not html emails, a first step along the lines of securing your machine.

I hope that my English sense of humour hasn't upset you btw.  About ....turn the volume down!.........  It wasn't meant as an insult.

If you stay with the thread, you will get a solution.

Patty15

« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2004, 04:44:22 AM »
Thanks inthewild.  I see which "control panel" you meant now.  I thought you meant one in the avast program.  I'm not real concerned about the emails downloading to my machine, avast seems to do a very good job blocking anything that is iffy.  Btw, my email client does not run html content, it is set to plain text only but there is something in those emails that triggers Avast's heuristic blocking.  I don't pay too much attention to them since they immediately go into my junk mail folder in Eudora anyhow.  Btw, I do not open emails automatically in Eudora either.  I get a listing of the emails by sender and subject and then can delete before they are ever opened.  I find that much better than having them open when you hightlight them.  I have to doubleclick them to open them.  Just another precaution to keep something from activating without my approval.

At first I found your humor a bit daunting, but I understand now.   ;)

EP

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2004, 12:19:18 PM »
I didn't like that sound to. Since I have change in the Heuristic it to silent mode the sound is gone.