Author Topic: Invalid Signature on Update  (Read 5655 times)

MediaGuy1974

Invalid Signature on Update
« on: January 18, 2012, 12:40:52 AM »
Hey Gang I'm Back,Had a problem earlier that some of you helped me solve(a fragment of mbam was keeping Avast from installing). Now, with Avast up and running, I'm trying to update it, and both the program update feature and the definition update feature keep reporting an "invalid signature" and neither will update. Anyone seen this before? This is a fresh install of XP with basically only Office 2K installed, and nothing else. Any ideas?? ??? ???

-WinXP Professional Fully Updated, Athlon 1.2, 1GB Ram, 80GB HDD, Radeon 9800, Avast 6-

This is a fresh install of XP and Avast, and basically no other software installed.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 12:53:20 AM by MediaGuy1974 »

MediaGuy1974

Re: Hello Again,,
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 12:47:12 AM »
Sorry in Advance for not posting a proper subject. I clicked "post" before I realized what I'd done. It won't happen again.

Gargamel360

Re: Hello Again,,
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2012, 12:52:22 AM »
You can edit/change it still, if you like. ;)  (see "modify", top right corner of each post)

edit: you have to alter the original post

MediaGuy1974

Re: Invalid Signature on Update
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2012, 12:55:11 AM »
Thank You Garg!!!! I'm quite computer literate, but sometimes I just have tunnel vision. lol

Gargamel360

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2012, 01:27:44 AM »
Thank You Garg!!!! I'm quite computer literate, but sometimes I just have tunnel vision. lol
Welcome. ;)

As to your problem, have you rebooted yet since you installed?

MediaGuy1974

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2012, 01:44:43 AM »
Yes, rebooted 4-5 times. It's not the computer I'm on now, but I just went in and shut it totally down, waited 5-mnutes, started it up, and when it loaded Avast it downloaded the definition file and seems fine. Don't know yet about the program update. I'm gonna let it be for a while and try again later. I'll keep ya posted. and THANX!!!

Gargamel360

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2012, 02:13:25 AM »
Yes, rebooted 4-5 times. It's not the computer I'm on now, but I just went in and shut it totally down, waited 5-mnutes, started it up, and when it loaded Avast it downloaded the definition file and seems fine. Don't know yet about the program update. I'm gonna let it be for a while and try again later. I'll keep ya posted. and THANX!!!
Hopefully just a hiccup, then.

Glad to help. ;)

MediaGuy1974

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2012, 03:43:49 AM »
 ??? Well, I just tried to manually do a program update. It downloaded for a minute, then popped up with "package broken". I don't get it. I've never had a problem installing Avast. ???

Gargamel360

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2012, 03:51:27 AM »
This might be a server problem also.

If that is the case nothing local is going to fix anything, you would just have to wait it out.

ady4um

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2012, 09:15:43 AM »
??? Well, I just tried to manually do a program update. It downloaded for a minute, then popped up with "package broken". I don't get it. I've never had a problem installing Avast. ???

If you just installed avast, then what would be the point on performing a program update? I mean, you used the latest stable version of the installer, didn't you?

In any case, you should try avast main GUI -> settings -> updates -> "direct connection (no proxy)".

SafeSurf

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2012, 11:16:53 AM »
If you just installed avast, then what would be the point on performing a program update?
I recommend an update after installing because there usually is an update.  The definitions are always changing (at least 2/day on average), so the download file will not have the latest update definitions.

In any case, you should try avast main GUI -> settings -> updates -> "direct connection (no proxy)".
Agree.  Let us know how this works for you.  Also check to see if anything else is trying to download at the same time (is your firewall or MBAM Pro trying to update its definitions at the same time?).

ady4um

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2012, 11:42:54 AM »
@SafeSurf,

The OP is talking about a PROGRAM update, not the definitions update (which was already done). Hence my question is still relatively relevant. I mean, it was the latest stable version already that was installed.

In any case, the "no proxy" setting is the one I would try first, and if that is not enough, I would delete any avast - related firewall rules and reboot.

Only if those possibilities are not enough, I would try "more drastic" meassures.

SafeSurf

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2012, 12:01:34 PM »
The OP is talking about a PROGRAM update, not the definitions update (which was already done). Hence my question is still relatively relevant. I mean, it was the latest stable version already that was installed.
My error.