Author Topic: How to remove the Site Rating icon at top right of my browser?  (Read 14324 times)

Fire Marshal Bill

How to remove the Site Rating icon at top right of my browser?
« on: January 15, 2012, 07:35:13 AM »
I moved from Avira because it pushed some unwanted options on me. I like Avast very much, so far, but I do have a nagging problem with the Site rating icon at the top right of my Firefox browser. I uninstalled the web component and rebooted but it is still there. I don't want it. How can I remove this nuisance?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: How to remove the Site Rating icon at top right of my browser?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2012, 07:39:35 AM »
I uninstalled the web component and rebooted but it is still there. I don't want it. How can I remove this nuisance?

I guess you're talking about WebRep.
You can uninstall it from the avast! GUI.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2012, 08:04:34 AM »
Asyn is right.

Remove it from avast GUI (see pic)

Additional Protection > webrep > click uninstall > click ok

I uninstalled the web component and rebooted

Did you remove the webshield? if so, please install it again. It is one of the strongest and best components of avast. webshield is different and webrep (the site rating one) is different.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 08:09:41 AM by nmb »

Fire Marshal Bill

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2012, 08:53:42 AM »
Thanks for the instructions. Okay, so I went there and uninstalled it. Now, when I go back in under Firefox, it does say, "Plugin not installed" and displays a link to "install" it off to the right, but the icon remains at the top right. I shut down Firefox, even verifying there are not processes running, and relaunched it, to no avail. The icon doesn't go away. (

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2012, 08:56:15 AM »
Thanks for the instructions. Okay, so I went there and uninstalled it. Now, when I go back in under Firefox, it does say, "Plugin not installed" and displays a link to "install" it off to the right, but the icon remains at the top right. I shut down Firefox, even verifying there are not processes running, and relaunched it, to no avail. The icon doesn't go away. (

Reboot.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Fire Marshal Bill

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2012, 08:58:46 AM »
Done. Shut the machine off for 30 seconds, in fact. Came back up, and the icon remains. It's haunted!

And, NMB, I re-installed webshield. :) Thanks.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2012, 09:02:48 AM by Fire Marshal Bill »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2012, 09:04:28 AM »
Done. Shut the machine off for 30 seconds, in fact. Came back up, and the icon remains. It's haunted!

Interesting...
Is it still shown as "Installed" in the avast! GUI..??
Untick: Automatically detect new browser installations

Offline nmb

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2012, 09:07:15 AM »
Adding further, with due respect to Asyn's comment,

If you goto the addons window of firefox is it listed there? can you disable from there and try?

ady4um

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2012, 11:40:44 AM »
It would be nice to have some feedback about whether the problem was finally solved and how.

In addition, I would like to recommend reinstalling / re-enabling the Web Shield (which is the first thing you tried, and it is different from WebRep, which is the feature you are really trying to disable here). Web Shield is very important, while WebRep is not essential.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2012, 11:43:09 AM »
In addition, I would like to recommend reinstalling / re-enabling the Web Shield (which is the first thing you tried, and it is different from WebRep, which is the feature you are really trying to disable here). Web Shield is very important, while WebRep is not essential.

He already did, see Reply #5... ;)

Fire Marshal Bill

« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2012, 05:44:21 AM »
Asyn,

You said: "Is it still shown as Installed in the avast! GUI..??"

If you mean under Additional Protection | Web Rep. I see "Mozilla Firefox, Plugin not installed". I can't think of any other place.

You said: "Untick: Automatically detect new browser installations"
Where do I see this?

nmb,

You said:  "If you goto the addons window of firefox is it listed there? can you disable from there and try?"
If you mean under Tools | Addons | Extensions, I don't even see it in the list.

ady4um, as per nmb's initial post, I went back in rightaway and turned on Webshield. It is currently running.

Okay, I have Avast installed from the same latest installer on my PC and laptop. On the PC, the Webrep icon is missong and is supported by the fact that within Avast, under Additional Protection, I do not see the Webrep option at all. Not so on the laptop. There I see Webrep in addition to AutoSandbox and Site Blocking.

So, I uninstalled and re-installed the entire application, unchecked 'Automatically detect new browser installations', as Asyn mentioned, uninstalled Webrep, and voila! it's gone. Thanks to all for a job well-done!

Harry
http://harry.cckerala.com
« Last Edit: January 17, 2012, 05:50:50 AM by Fire Marshal Bill »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2012, 08:20:34 AM »
So, I uninstalled and re-installed the entire application, unchecked 'Automatically detect new browser installations', as Asyn mentioned, uninstalled Webrep, and voila! it's gone. Thanks to all for a job well-done!

You're welcome.

YoKenny

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2012, 02:56:21 PM »
I like Avast very much, so far, but I do have a nagging problem with the Site rating icon at the top right of my Firefox browser. I uninstalled the web component and rebooted but it is still there. I don't want it. How can I remove this nuisance?
Begs the question:

Why do you not like WebRep Site rating ???

I find it very handy when doing a Google or Bing search.

Please see:
avast! 6.x: Installing and using the WebRep
https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=740

Fire Marshal Bill

« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2012, 04:57:40 AM »
I spoke too soon! It's back like a dirty shirt. I guess until someone suggests a real solution to it, I will endure it. At least it is not nagging me like Avira. Moreover, it sits unobtrusively off to the top right.

Why don't I like it? Hmmm...you got me thinking. I can't find within me any compelling reason except that I do not really use it because i don't go to questionable sites, anyway.

Cricket1955

« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2012, 09:43:31 PM »
Dredging up an old thread, but I don't want to reiterate everything anyone else posted.  Did anybody ever figure out how to get rid of this thing?  I'm about to delete the whole mess and go back to AVG, much as I prefer Avast!