Author Topic: Dial up email account  (Read 3916 times)

Offline sggaunt

Dial up email account
« on: January 04, 2012, 12:03:45 PM »
Hello, I recently moved to Avast, all is OK except that:-
My main mail connection is 'Always on networked', but occasionally. (Once a month) I must connect to a dial up account.
This machine is running Windows Vista.
I have found that Although I can connect to the server, I cannot transfer mail.
The network icon for the dial up connection will present an Exclamation mark.
If I turn off the Avast Mail scanner everything is fine.
The account is not SSL and should not be listed in Avast (it says)

SafeSurf

Re: Dial up email account
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2012, 12:21:30 PM »
When you need to use the dial up connection, you may want to manually change your settings in Avast to the following:

Please check the following to check the settings:
Open Avast GUI > Settings > Updates >

A. Engine and Virus Definitions: 
  - Automatic Update (default)
  - For “Manual” or “Ask When Update Available ” > Settings > Status Bar > Uncheck the last box

B. Update Parameters: all boxes unchecked (default)
   - If you use dial-up, you will want to use #2 above to "I only connect to the Internet using dial-up modem."

C. Proxy Settings: Auto Detect using IE Settings (default)
   - Use "Specify Proxy Server" if you use a proxy and complete the information below it for the proxy server > click "OK."

When you are done using dial up, you can change your settings back.  See if this works for you.

Offline sggaunt

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2012, 12:55:40 PM »
Cheers for that surfsafe, That's quite a lot to do.

The connection is only used to download a single message I have sent myself. (To keep my free webspace account going!)
Any others (mostly spam/unsafe messages) are deleted unread from the ISP servers using 'webmail' just before the dial up mail transfer is done.
So unless I am very unlucky indeed I know the message will be clean!

In which case, if that is the only fix, then it is simpler for me just to turn off the scanner, while doing the transfer.
and although the Broadband connection is 'always on' mail transfer is Manual so there is no danger of bad stuff getting through on the other account.

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 12:59:51 PM »
I did not know how much mail you had, so I was just trying to help.  Having had dial up in the past, I know how difficult it can be.  If you are happy with your solution, by all means stick with it.  Please let us know if we can offer any further assistance.  Thank you.

Offline sggaunt

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 02:56:38 PM »
No problem, thanks again for the prompt reply.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 07:40:11 PM »
The account is not SSL and should not be listed in Avast (it says)
Try deleting it in avast listing and reboot

ady4um

« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 07:54:18 PM »
I apologize if this question is too basic. I can't understand the relation between a specific email client + specific email address + specific connection device + specific ISP.

I mean, I understand that the specific email account is provided by the ISP. But you also mentioned that you can use some kind of web interface to get the emails ("webmail").

So, if you have the email servers info (pop + smtp), you can connect using whichever ISP you want. Moreover, if you get to this specific "webmail" using your "normal" connection (not dial up), then use the same connection type to retrieve the rest of the emails.

If you are able to get to the "webmail" of this same email account, that would mean that the email account can be checked by any type of connection, not only by the dial up modem (which I guess is already configured to connect to this specific ISP).

Offline sggaunt

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2012, 05:52:18 PM »
Hi ady4um
You might think so but no.
This particular ISP hosts my web site. They do this for free, except that they demand that a dial up onnection is made to their servers at least once every 35 days.
Then then obtain an income from the telephone charge.
To do this they ensure that POP mail relaying is blocked. i.e the dial up connection must be made to a specific number.
If they were my broadband provider then true I would not have to do this, but they are not.

The benifit for me is that I get free webspace and a domain name of my own choosing. provided that it ends with .co.uk (it does), for the price of one short phone call every month. (pennies)
The reason I go online first is so I can delete all the spam, downloading it on the dial up line would take too long and incur more risk.   

this is the relavent extract from the T&C:-

4.13 If you are a Pay As You Go user, you must connect to the Internet using the published dial-up number and your given username and password at least once in each period of 35 days. If you fail to do so, we will suspend access to your e-mail account and personal Web space from outside our network. You will then only be able to access your e-mail account and personal Web space by connecting to the Internet using the published dial-up number and your given username and password. If you fail to connect to the Internet using the published dial-up number and your given username and password at least once in each period of 65 days, we reserve the right to suspend delivery of e-mail to your account, remove the contents of your mailbox and your personal web space and terminate access to the Services without notice.

ady4um

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2012, 06:22:51 PM »
OK, so if I understood correctly, you have at least 2 different separated email accounts.

The way I see it, the only relevant details for the main issue here are:

A_ Email account "A" is used "as usual", with SSL;
B_ Email account "B" is used with a specific dial up ISP phone number, and it doesn't use SSL.

So, what Pondus already suggested is the solution.

In your email client (assuming you use the same email client program for both email accounts), account "A" AND account "B" should be configured without SSL.

In Avast, email account "A" should be configured with SSL, and email account "B" should be configured without SSL.