Author Topic: avast! vs System Restore XPSP2  (Read 60831 times)

Roper

avast! vs System Restore XPSP2
« on: November 26, 2004, 10:10:18 PM »
Hello, I am new to avast and have had 4.5.523 Home installed on two XPSP2 computers (one HE, one Pro with all the latest updates) for a few days and program update says this is current version, everything works as it should except when clearing system restore in the usual manner which I do periodically..

My Computer > Properties > System Restore > Turn off System Restore, all is OK up to this point but when turning System Restore back on with On Access Protection running the whole show just freezes up completely with an error message saying rundll32 is not responding and a forced shutdown is the only option.

This occurs on both computers and happens regardless of other running programs or if all else is shut down but avast and is repeatable over and over again.

For the moment I can live with it by turning On Access protection off before clearing Restore as it's not something one does all that often and I do like avast but hopefully it is something for which someone can offer a solution.

TIA

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:avast! vs System Restore XPSP2
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2004, 10:20:53 PM »
It should be:
My Computer > Properties > System Restore > Turn off System Restore,  Reboot.

Changes to system restore only take fully place if you reboot.

And does it still happen with 4.5.536?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2004, 10:24:55 PM by Eddy »

Roper

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2004, 10:54:13 PM »
It should be:
My Computer > Properties > System Restore > Turn off System Restore,  Reboot.

Changes to system restore only take fully place if you reboot.

And does it still happen with 4.5.536?

It occurs whether a reboot is initiated or not, the fact is that if System Restore is turned on with On Access scanner running the freeze occurs, this has been tested more than a dozen times on both computers sometimes including a reboot and it occurs every time.

BTW with XP the reboot is not necessary for clearing Restore as it is with ME.

Microsoft
Q.   How do I delete restore points in System Restore?

To delete all the restore points on your computer, disable and re-enable System Restore on the system. Click Start, Control Panel, and then the System icon. Click on the System Restore tab in the dialog box, select the Turn off System Restore check box, and click Apply. Clear the check box again to re-enable System Restore and then click OK.

4.5.536?

As stated the program updater shows 4.5.523 as the current version as does the main website, is 4.5.536 a beta version?

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2004, 11:08:31 PM »
Yes 536 is beta version but it's stable that can not be more stable  ;D It solved so many issues and btw, this is last beta build before final version which suppose to be release during this day... although, day is almost finished in Czech Republic, but I'm here in Canada, and still hopping they will make it  ;D

See here some info on how to install build 536. Very easy... basicaly, you just need to downlaod little exe file and start it from your local HD. That will update your antivirus to the latest beta build. When final release is out, it will auto update itself... so, no worries !  ;D

Cheers !

EDIT: I just got IM from the "first hand", one of Alwil guys, and I found out that final release will be out on Monday, not today...  ;)
« Last Edit: November 26, 2004, 11:11:00 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Gillie2tat

« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2004, 11:13:09 PM »
I don't think this is just an SP2 issue, I get the freeze-up too when I turn System Restore back on.  Never occurred to me before that it could be anything to do with Avast.  I first noticed it back in May during that dialogue I had with DavidR over the crashlog.tar.gz problem.  Before that I had not had to turn System Restore off and then back on again on the computer I am currently using as it came in March of this year, so I have no idea if Avast is responsible or not.

I do not get the runtime error, just the freeze and have to switch off at the mains to get the computer to function again - when it boots up it behaves perfectly normally and System Restore is turned back on.

I am running XP Home User SP1 with Avast and the Kerio firewall.  The computer is a Fujitsu Siemens Pentium IV 3.19 Ghz with 250 GB hard drive which is nothing like even 1/10th full, and 1 GB RAM, so it's not a space or RAM issue.

Also I have checked that I am using a legal version of XP.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2004, 11:15:45 PM by Gillie2tat »

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2004, 11:19:46 PM »
You're right, it's not space or RAM issue, but system freezings can occure because of following things ( you should check them all):

- bad or corrupt Windows installation
- driver "fightings"
- bad memory
- defective motherboard
- bad or weak power supply

and most common... check those fans. Processor fan is very very very important as you already know. If processor's fan is weak (slows down drasticaly in spins) that can lead to processor malfunction. Power supply fan as well. These are just few of many possible causes, but start with them...

I just had a problem with my father's PC (still Win 98SE). He still lives in Croatia. I connected remotely through pcAnywhere to his computer. I installed Everest Home Edition on his system and checked his fans. His processor fan was working on 30% out of 100%. I told him to go to near service, and ask my friend to replace processor fan for him. Problem solved, no more sudden system freezings.

Hope this helps a bit.

Cheers !
« Last Edit: November 26, 2004, 11:21:16 PM by S.Z.Craftec »

Gillie2tat

« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2004, 12:05:51 AM »
OK I am not hearing anything weird in terms of fan burnout noises and despite being deaf I would - we had a computer fan blow in the office at work and I could hear it was doing something weird - I wouldn't know how to check it otherwise.  I don't think this is a corrupt windows installation because this puter has been doing this since it was two months from the date of delivery (it was installed some time in February - we know this because Fujitsu Siemens ran out of PCs and had to build some new ones and mine was one of the ones held up for this reason) and I haven't noticed any other issues.  For the same reason since I haven't had any other problems I don't think it's a motherboard issue but I wouldn't know how to check that one or the corrupt windows installation - I'm just going by the fact that this is a consistent issue and there have been no other problems.

I don't have a printer or scanner or anything additional connected to it just now, just a digital camera card reader.

I checked my drivers quite recently because I'm having trouble with burning DVDs but I think that it's a DVD compatibility issue and not a driver issue.  There are certainly no driver issue yellow lights.

I am using a double mains socket, the electrics were checked quite recently and found to be OK, I am not using loads of plugs doubled up, just the single plug into the socket from a multiple plug extension cable with power surge protection.

I don't get these freeze-ups at any other time than when I turn System Restore off and then back on.  I'm not getting any error messages or blue screens or anything.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2004, 12:18:04 AM »
Then it could be that something is really wrong with Windows installation. It's better and easier to check than to sorry. Did you try to repair Windows installation ?

In worst case, you can always make a backup of whole system, make an image file. Format hard drive and reinstall everything from the scratch. Later, you can restore anything that you need from the image file you've previously created. Worst part is installing all those programs that you had before formating, all over again.

But, hey... if you don't check you won't find out what's wrong.

Btw, there is no chance to hear is something wrong with fans or not... they can just slow down their spinning unnoticeable and it still could lead to overheating of your processor... of course with the time...

But, as you mentioned that it's happening just when you turn on and/or off system restore, then I'm pretty sure it's nothing related to those fans. Anyway, it doesn't cost you to check. Everest is freeware, why not use it ? System restore on/off freezing issue is most likely related to Windows itself or some settings in BIOS.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2004, 12:20:52 AM »
I'm just thinking something... do you have Hyper Threading Technology (HTT) option enabled in your BIOS ? Please check that info and post back...

Roper

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2004, 12:30:10 AM »
Thanks all for the suggestions. :)

I have updated one of the computers in question to the latest beta (XPPro P4 2.8 Ghz 1Gb RAM) and the problem persists unchanged.

If On Access Protection is enabled while attempting to start Restore the freeze occurs, if it is disabled then all is normal.

This has been tried both rebooting between disable and re-enable of SR and not rebooting, there is no difference.

I am quite sure this is an avast! issue as I normally clear restore after making my weekly disc image backup and this has never occurred before, the only new software installed between last good config and now is avast! Home (previous AV was AVG 6 Free) and as I say the whole process goes as smooth as silk if avast! On Access Protection is stopped.

OK to address S.Z.Craftec's suggestion that the problem is a corrupt OS or other problem I have removed avast from the other machine (XP home) and re-installed AVG 6, guess what? problem goes away!

I really like this software as all else works flawlessly for me and as stated stopping On Access scanning is a viable work around for the moment so I will persist with it but I do hope the developers will look into this.

Hmmm.. racing to keep up with this, S.Z.Craftec I obviously cannot speak for Gillie2tat but as for me one computer (the XP pro) has Hyper threading enabled, the other (XP Home) does not both experience the identical symptoms.

Gillie2tat To see if your problem is related to mine turn off On Access scanning and see if the problem still occurs.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2004, 12:40:41 AM »
Did I say anything wrong ? I just tried to locate his problem. No one ever said that there is no possibility that avast! is the cause for this behaviour. It's just I never had problems like that... and I believe, not too many people out there were complaining about this issue.

That doesn't mean that you guys shouldn't alarm Alwil about this issue. My advice is to IM Vlk, Pavel, pk or Igor... I'm sure, someone will be able to give you a satisfying answer and to check all those possibilities. If something is wrong with avast! I'm sure they will check and give their best to eliminate this issue in future releases...

You better hurry, 'cause new program update is comming out on Monday. I just found out from "first hand", one of the Alwil guys... No one wants to release build that didn't solve previous issues, especially this huge issue...

Cheers !

EDIT: Btw, Hyper Threading Technology has some serious issues. That's why I pointed to that... There are many threads in some Intel related forums, where people are complaining about sudden freezings of their systems without any visible reason, while they have HTT enabled in their BIOS. As soon as they disable that feature from the BIOS, freezings immediately, stops...
« Last Edit: November 27, 2004, 12:45:54 AM by S.Z.Craftec »

Roper

« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2004, 01:03:56 AM »
Hey S.Z. I think you misunderstand me, I'm grateful for your suggestions  :) if I seem terse it's because I am simply trying to be concise, not trying to insult you in any way, really.

I guess I may be a little jaded by other product support boards I have visited where fanboiz try and blame everything on the user rather than a program bug, so I apologize if I offended you it truly wasn't my intention.

As far as IMing the developers I think it is their reponsibility to monitor or have monitored their support boards, I am too busy to be a beta tester I simply wanted to bring an issue to their attention.

As stated I am new to this product, I do like it and I realize it is freeware but a repeatable system freeze/crash is a serious issue for me so I believe it is worthy of a mention rather than just removing the software and going with something else.

Again, I apologize if you or anyone at Alwil is offended as it was not my intention, my intent was and is to point out what is to me a major issue in otherwise fine software.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2004, 02:49:42 AM »
Roper, right now I tried and had the same trouble...
I can't enable System Restore without crashing.
Vlk, can you say something?  :-\ :'(

Ok, I'll like without System Restore but isn't it a trouble with the last build? (536)
The best things in life are free.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2004, 06:11:40 AM »
BTW with XP the reboot is not necessary for clearing Restore as it is with ME.

I said: "Changes to system restore only take fully place if you reboot."

Gillie2tat

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2004, 09:38:28 AM »
I'm just thinking something... do you have Hyper Threading Technology (HTT) option enabled in your BIOS ? Please check that info and post back...

OK how do you do that?