Author Topic: avast! vs System Restore XPSP2  (Read 60823 times)

Gillie2tat

Re:avast! vs System Restore XPSP2
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2004, 09:41:22 AM »
I just turned off the On Access Protection, turned off System Restore, turned System Restore back on, then turned On Access Protection Control.  All went fine.

It's definitely Avast that's the issue here.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2004, 05:15:51 PM »
Hey S.Z. I think you misunderstand me, I'm grateful for your suggestions  :) if I seem terse it's because I am simply trying to be concise, not trying to insult you in any way, really.

I guess I may be a little jaded by other product support boards I have visited where fanboiz try and blame everything on the user rather than a program bug, so I apologize if I offended you it truly wasn't my intention.

As far as IMing the developers I think it is their reponsibility to monitor or have monitored their support boards, I am too busy to be a beta tester I simply wanted to bring an issue to their attention.

As stated I am new to this product, I do like it and I realize it is freeware but a repeatable system freeze/crash is a serious issue for me so I believe it is worthy of a mention rather than just removing the software and going with something else.

Again, I apologize if you or anyone at Alwil is offended as it was not my intention, my intent was and is to point out what is to me a major issue in otherwise fine software.

Well it looks like you really don't know anything about these forums and staff that gathers in here. We are like one big family. We are here to help new avast! users, but also help to each other. That's why I wrote my reply to you. I wasn't felling offended and I don't think that was your intention...

No need to appologize my friend. I completely understand your concern regarding this issue, and it MUST be solved as soon as possible. You are completely right regarding this. It's just I don't have that problem on my computer, and I couldn't possibly know that it has something to do with avast!
That's why I pointed your attention to some other possibilities like hardware problems and other things, that usually are causes for sudden computer freezings (usually, not always).

Also, see here what I wrote in my previous reply to you:
That doesn't mean that you guys shouldn't alarm Alwil about this issue. My advice is to IM Vlk, Pavel, pk or Igor... I'm sure, someone will be able to give you a satisfying answer and to check all those possibilities. If something is wrong with avast! I'm sure they will check and give their best to eliminate this issue in future releases...

You better hurry, 'cause new program update is comming out on Monday. I just found out from "first hand", one of the Alwil guys... No one wants to release build that didn't solve previous issues, especially this huge issue...

I pointed your attention straight to possible solution - ALARMING THE ALWIL GUYS. We all should do that, not just you, 'cause it seems like this became real issue.

Again, no need to appologize, this is just friendly discussion  ;)

Cheers !

P.S. We really need to alarm Alwil guys... ASAP

Gillie2tat

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2004, 06:45:10 PM »
Do we e-mail them individually or does this strand contain enough information?  Don't want to duplicate work unnecessarily, they have quite enough to do.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2004, 07:04:41 PM »
It would be good to point their attention to this thread. Just IM Pavel or pk or Igor and they will take some steps. Sometimes it's very hard for them to follow all these threads... there are so many threads in these forums...

Cheers !

Gillie2tat

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2004, 08:25:19 PM »
I e-mailed Vlk earlier, and sent him the URL of this thread.

Thank you!  And thank you Roper for posting this, I'd never have known what was causing these freezes if you hadn't posted.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2004, 11:52:26 PM »
OK, I just alarmed Pavel, and I hope they will see this and fix the problem on their side before they release next update.

Let's hope for the best...

Cheers !

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2004, 12:37:35 AM »
Tried it on two systems (will do some more testing on monday in my store) and no sofar no problem at all with Avast and system restore.

Are you all by change have a preinstalled version of windows?
All using a "brand" system?

Roper

« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2004, 03:26:50 AM »
Tried it on two systems (will do some more testing on monday in my store) and no sofar no problem at all with Avast and system restore.

Are you all by change have a preinstalled version of windows?
All using a "brand" system?

One of mine (the XP Home) is a HP which is installed from Recovery Discs, the other (Pro) is a genuine MS OS installed from an MS CD.

Both are legal copies, have SP2, are fully updated and both have DotNET framework 1.1 SP1 and Sun Java 1.4.2_06  installed.

Both are absolutely clean of Adware/Spyware and any other form of Malware/Crapware they are well maintained and Disc cleanup and Defrag are regularly used.

Gillie2tat

« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2004, 09:07:58 AM »
Mine is pre-installed - I haven't needed to use defrag because the drive is so huge that it just tells me there's no need.  I keep Spybot and Ad Aware on it and when I do my weekly scans I run those as well.  So pretty sure it's clean.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2004, 10:36:38 AM »
I think all the systems that have problems with this must have something in common that other system don't have.

1] If it is a brand computer, than what brand is it (e.g. HP, NEC, Fujitsu etc)
2] What is the exact windows version? (start > run > winver) It should look something like this : Version 5.1 (build 2600.xpsp_sp2_rc.040803-2158 : Service Pack 2)
3] What language version of Windows?
4] Does it also happen when ALL other applications are not running? (just XP and Avast)

Roper

« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2004, 11:49:00 AM »
Computer 1: Unbranded (Built at local computer shop) XP Pro P4 2.8 Ghz 1 Gb RAM

Windows Installation from MS installation CD

winver= Version 5.1(Build 2600.xpsp.sp2_rtm.040803-2158.service pack 2)

Computer 2: HP Pavilion 8904 XP Home Celeron 1.1 Ghz 512 mb RAM

Windows installation from HP Recovery CDs

winver= Version 5.1(Build 2600.xpsp.sp2_rtm.040803-2158.service pack 2)

Service Packs on both installed from same MS CD

Both with DotNET framework 1.1 SP1

Both English (AU)

Freeze up occurs regardless of whether other things are running or nothing else at all except Windows and avast!

As stated previously stopping on-access protection from the tray icon before attempting to turn System Restore back on allows the operation to procceed as normal.

Uninstalling avast! and re-installing the previous antivirus (AVG 6) causes the problem to go away completely.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2004, 02:14:13 PM »
Freeze up occurs regardless of whether other things are running or nothing else at all except Windows and avast!

It really looks like problem is in avast! this time.
I think it'll be good if you solve it before next official release.
I just checked twice and the System restore and I have the same problem like everybody else. Windows freezes and no other thing than reboot helps...
I can't workaround it...  :P
The best things in life are free.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2004, 02:32:55 PM »
4 systems with a Dutch Windows, no problem
2 systems with a German Windows, no problem
1 system with a Arabic Windows, no problem

Gillie2tat

« Reply #28 on: November 28, 2004, 02:48:54 PM »
Mine is a Fujitsu Seimens Pentium IV with 1 GB Ram, 250 GB hard drive and 3.19 Mhz speed.  I'm using a legal pre-installed version of Microsoft Windows XP Home User Version 2002, SP1 version 5.1 Build 2600.xpsp2.030422-1633 Service Pack 1, using English UK.

Usually I just have the usual Windows stuff plus the Kerio firewall and Avast running when I deal with System Restore and I don't keep a whole lot of applications running anyhow. (historical reasons going back to an extremely temperamental version of Windows ME - this puter can handle just about anything).

When this particular crash occurs the only way to reboot is to switch the whole thing off at the mains which is not good practice, my puter does not have a reboot button on the front, only the start button.  Control-alt-delete doesn't work and even the mouse cursor is frozen.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2004, 02:54:02 PM by Gillie2tat »

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #29 on: November 28, 2004, 02:51:14 PM »
I installed 523 build, WindowsXP EN SP1, tried to enable/disable System Restore and no freeze. As Eddy said, his 7 machines are also without problems - is it the problem with sp2... ?