Author Topic: Avast service can't start  (Read 72899 times)

Offline supertoaster

Re: Avast service can't start
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2012, 09:08:57 PM »
Somebody else may have report this, but I fixed my service not starting by rebooting in safe mode, and deleting the 1201250_stream folder under defs. After I rebooted things were back to normal.

dutch98

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2012, 09:16:38 PM »
So.....what to do?
I am having precisely the same issue.
And yes, I tried the Repair Tool.

I will be following this thread carefully. I hope that this is not a ploy to make me click on the <Update> option!

My Specs are: My Current version is: 6.0.1367
My specs: MSIE version 8.0.6001.18702 ; 128-bit ; Build 86001
System Info: Windows XP Home Edition, 5.1.2600 Service Pack 3 Build 2600; x86 Based Dell PC, Physical Memory 1,024.00 MB Available 488.08MB;
Total Virtual memory 2.00 GB, Available Virtual memory 1.96 GB, Page File Space 2.30 GB
Under System Drivers I see: aavmker4, avast!Asynchronous Virus Monitor, with an OK Status and a Normal Error Control
and aswmon2 and aswtdi, both are described as avast!Standard Shield Support, also with an OK Status and Normal Error Control. Both show as Started and as Running. There were 3 Legacy Drivers listed under Signed Drivers and all 3 were listed as Not Available.
Under Running Tasks, I see the file name of avastui.exe, with a Process ID of 656, Priority 8, start time 1-25-12 at 1:37PM, version 6.0.1367.0, and a File Date of 12/5/2010
Avast is also listed in Startup Programs, located at HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows, etc.

MikeRepairs

« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2012, 09:46:09 PM »
I had this happen to 3 computers. I expect more calls from customers. all are win7 64 bit

dutch98

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2012, 09:46:19 PM »
Oh, and just to followup, I tried the download and installation manually at: http://www.avast.com/download-update
I got the message that "the product was successfully updated"
but then I see: error: Setup Selfextract. An error 0 has occurred. Last performed operation was : spawning.
Had to click <OK>
so I did and exited out.
Anybody know of this "spawning" error?
Thanks for any advice.

Geezer69

« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2012, 09:49:10 PM »
supertoaster, thanks for that suggestion!  I tried it and it worked for me, too.

dutch98, you can find that 1201250_stream folder in C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast5\Defs.  I deleted it in Safe Mode (left it in the recycle bin, just in case I need it back).  Then, I rebooted as normal, and all is well again.

dutch98

« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2012, 10:12:51 PM »
Followup- I restarted and to my relief I see that I am again "fully protected"! The virus definitions are: 120125-1. Special thanks to Daniel IFS for supplying the link to the manual update fix. You saved me big time. The check is in the mail!
BTW, to others who read this far into this thread...be very very careful about following anybody's directions when it comes to messing around in subdirectories and in Safe Mode. In my experience these directions almost always leave a teenie weanie little step out of the procedure, making you guess at the missing step. That guess can be the difference between a successful cure and a locked up computer. Been there and one that.... a lot!
Fortunately, Daniel supplied a link to acquire and install the updates needed to make my free Avast work again! I don't argue with success.
Now...about that Spawning Error....?????

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2012, 10:18:24 PM »
I'm having more or less the same problem (on my wife's computer) as of this morning, opening the avast UI from the tray icon gives a warning that the avast service "isn't operating properly", or wording to that effect.  I tried a boot-time scan, but apparently that wouldn't work.

Also, her firewall service (PC Tools, free version) won't finish loading.  Is this combination of problems an indication that her system may be infected?  She has a wireless connection to my router-modem (other than that, no LAN has been set up), which means she's internet-connected (DSL) whenever her computer's on, with apparently no protection.  I'd try an MBAM scan, but I know my son hasn't updated her defs for that in ages (I'm not even sure she's got the current program version).

I'd guess my best starting point is to disable her network card, uninstall the firewall and avast (including use of the removal tool for the latter), then do a clean install from downloads to my own computer, which is clean and working fine.

Any other comments or suggestions? Thanks.

Afterthought: Her system's more or less the same as mine, XP SP3, slower processor but more RAM.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline Jawsofhana

« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2012, 11:05:26 PM »
I just encountered this problem. The manual update fixed it. Thanks a lot.

MikeRepairs

« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2012, 11:19:09 PM »
now I am getting calls from customers, this is widespread, thanks for the work  :D

themcd1998

« Reply #39 on: January 25, 2012, 11:52:45 PM »
I'm having a similar problem.  Been using Avast for over a year on this PC.  Haven't made any changes to the PC recently (unless Windows downloaded updates overnight that I didn't see).  All of a sudden Avast won't start. There's a flag in my task bar saying "turn on Avast Antivirus".  When I go to avast and turn it on, I get this error message:

Unable to start the File System Shield.
Shield unreachable.

========================
UPDATE: I uninstalled Avast, downloaded the latest version and did a fresh install and this seems to have fixed the problem.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2012, 01:29:58 AM by themcd1998 »

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #40 on: January 25, 2012, 11:54:46 PM »
http://www.avast.com/download-update

Download and run the above update

Dch48

« Reply #41 on: January 25, 2012, 11:56:12 PM »
I didn't get the problem but there is no stream folder either. I only have one defs folder in there and it's the latest one. Avast always automatically deletes everything but the latest one for me.

John_E

« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2012, 01:05:00 AM »
I encountered a problem about 11:30 AM CST saving a simple Excel 2003 spreadsheet file. Computer just hung and had to close Excel via task manager. Upon investigating found an X on the Avast! icon in the notification area and task manager reported AvastSvc.exe running the processor to 50%. Also found IE8 was randomly hanging as well.

Long story short the bad update discussed in this thread appears to have been the issue. Followed the instructions here and removed the 'streaming" file, reverted to the 12012401 update and then did a manual update through the Avast! UI to get the 12012501 update and everything seems back to normal so far.

Funny thing is I was on the computer doing various tasks from 4:30 AM to the 11:30 AM Excel incident without any issues. Seems strange to me and I'm glad it didn't start deleting files or something without me noticing.

Thanks to everyone here who provided a solution.

mrausch73

« Reply #43 on: January 26, 2012, 02:11:18 AM »
I had the same won't start problem today as well. I used the above link from essexboy and it worked like a charm. All fixed, thank you!

jgth

« Reply #44 on: January 26, 2012, 02:15:24 AM »
I am having a similar problem where today avast!
will not start successfully. I have been using it
for a year or so with no problems until today.

My PC has Windows XP Home Edition Version 2002 SP3,
640MB of RAM, avast! version is 6.0.1367.

I have tried the various solutions posted above
and no success yet. From Windows Task Manager,
AvastSvc.exe runs around 95% or more all the time.
I cannot kill this process, cannot uninstall avast!
from the control panel, cannot boot in safe mode
(get an error), tried removing 1201250_stream
folder and get an error that it is in use and
denied, and also tried the avast! 6 removal utility
at singularlabs.com. For the last one, the removal
utility aswclear6.exe says the self-protection
module is enabled...I try to disable that in
Settings -> Troubleshooting but it keeps getting
enabled when I check it again...I hit OK after
I deselect it but then check it again and it is
enabled.

How can I fix this or uninstall avast!?