Author Topic: automatic update popup  (Read 10690 times)

wauiler

automatic update popup
« on: August 20, 2003, 06:30:45 PM »
Using avast4 home build 4.0.235.   When an automatic update occurs two things happen on my pc.  1)a popup slides up from behind the system tray and 2) a skelton of a window opens.  It has only borders and the data within the window is whatever is on the desktop (like a transparent window.   Back to 1) when the popup appears it has both a sound and text display. the text display says ' click here for more information' the text is unerlined like a link but nothing happpens when I click on it, it just slowly slides back down.  tia wauiler@gsinternet.net

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re:automatic update popup
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2003, 06:44:58 PM »
What Windows do you use? What kind of Software is loaded on Windows start? You may use this tool to find out and post the result here: http://www.tomcoyote.org/hjt/startuplist.zip

For the person who know it: Whats the english name for the WindowsXP Service"Nachrichtendienst"? Newsservice?
MfG Ralf

wauiler

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2003, 07:35:38 PM »
Detected: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\EPSON\EBAPI\SAGENT2.EXE
D:\PROGRAM FILES\SOLIDSHARE\WGFWSVC.EXE
E:\PROGRAM FILES\ALWIL SOFTWARE\AVAST4\ASHSERV.EXE
D:\PROGRAM FILES\TRAYSAVER\TRAYSAVER.EXE
D:\PROGRAM FILES\AGNITUM\OUTPOST FIREWALL\OUTPOST.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RPCSS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TASKMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADAPTEC\EASY CD CREATOR 5\DIRECTCD\DIRECTCD.EXE
D:\LOGITECH\MOUSE\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE
D:\PROGRAM FILES\SOLIDSHARE\WGFWMON.EXE
D:\PROGRAM FILES\ATELIER WEB\AWPTA 1.1\BOOSTER.EXE
D:\PROGRAM FILES\DAP\DAP.EXE
E:\PROGRAM FILES\ALWIL SOFTWARE\AVAST4\ASHMAISV.EXE
D:\PROGRAM FILES\MUSICMATCH\MM_TRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\ADAPTEC SHARED\CREATECD\CREATECD50.EXE
D:\PROGRAM FILES\CLIPMATE6\CLIPMT61.EXE
E:\PROGRAM FILES\GREATISSOFT\REGRUN2\WATCHDOG.EXE
D:\WIN2000\GURU.EXE
D:\PROGRAM FILES\ATELIER WEB\AWPTA 1.1\AWPTA.EXE
D:\PROGRAM FILES\GURUNET\GURUNET CLIENT\GURUNET.EXE
D:\PROGRAM FILES\IARSN\TASKINFO2002 4.0\TASKINFO.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\SCANNER\EXE32\IBMSCAN.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\ATOMICA SHARED\AGTSERV.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\ATOMICA SHARED\agtexe16.exe
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RNAAPP.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\TAPISRV.EXE
D:\PROGRAM FILES\MAILWASHER PRO\MAILWASHER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DDHELP.EXE
D:\PROGRAM FILES\OPERA7\OPERA.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\WINZIP\WINZIP32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\TEMP\STARTUPLIST.EXE
Listing of startup folders:
Enumerating Winsock LSP files:

Protocol #1: awlsp11.dll (file MISSING)
Protocol #2: awlsp11.dll (file MISSING)
Protocol #3: awlsp11.dll (file MISSING)
Protocol #10: awlsp11.dll (file MISSING)

mantra

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2003, 07:59:27 PM »
to me the same

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2003, 08:11:47 PM »
Detected: Windows 98 SE (Win9x 4.10.2222A)
Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE

Hm, the Popups may cause of this Program, but da** i do not know why your Win98 is still "running" with all these Tasks activ!;)

BTW: Why using solidshare?
MfG Ralf

wauiler

« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2003, 04:19:19 AM »
I use solidshare to share internet connection accross two pc's (my laptop and desktop). I can connect either way (dial in on either sytem) or dailin and share with laptop.  Microsofts ics created problems when I wanted to use laptop separate from the lan.  

I don't know what your were trying to tell me when you mentioned so may tasks active.   Where there any task in that list that could be messing up the popup?  tia wilk

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2003, 08:23:57 AM »
I don't know what your were trying to tell me when you mentioned so may tasks active.

Yes, i think it is the Task which is shown in the Qoute of my last post.
MfG Ralf

wauiler

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2003, 04:54:02 PM »
Okay so you are saying that 'C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE' is the task that is causing the popup to fail.   Msgsrv32.exe is the message server for win98.  It can't optional be removed. Do all/other win98 system exhibit  this failure?  tia wilk

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2003, 05:16:46 PM »
 It is not very easy to say what task it is( with you description of symptom, and so much running tasks). Maybe it is neccesary for you to check all single task to find out. So why not start with this one?

MSGSRV32:
The Windows 32-bit Message Server.  This essential program normally never appears in the Task List unless it has "hung";  it otherwise runs invisibly in the background performing a variety of essential services, a significant majority of which being to do with on-screen messages and notifications.
MfG Ralf

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2003, 05:31:19 PM »
BTW: did you specify a proxy or other thing for the Avastupdater?
If you call the Taskmanager while thePopup window appears, what kind of  application is shown and what application disapear if disabling the popup window?
« Last Edit: August 21, 2003, 05:31:49 PM by raman »
MfG Ralf

wauiler

« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2003, 10:26:19 PM »
raman: with respect to your first statement.  'why not start with this one.... (referring to msgsrv32.exe).  If I stop or terminate msgsrv32 it will be the last thing I do before rebooting as there is no communications interface remaining.  Also Msgsrv32 does not show up in the task list (if you pres crtl,alt,delete) it shows up as an active task with the data collect 'startlist.zip' or with taskmon etc.  Now for you second comment..about proxy or other thing... I don't remember specifying anything nor do I know how to make settings to avastupdater.  In either case I have no proxies.  And your last comment to call taskmanager when popup appears.  The popup is only there for a few seconds unless there is a way for me to make the autoupdate popup popup I would be trying to catch it once or twice a week.   Not likely.... I know there is a lot of virus activity now so if you would like to defer this problem to some more convenient time its okay.  It was a little bothersome that I could not click on the line to get more information (I am assuming the information would be what new viruses where included).   Anyway it is not important I thought it might be failing on other systems and it would help to clean up the product since I recommend it when ever asked.   If it is unique to my system there is no sense in you wasting your time.   tia wilk

Kaleus

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2003, 12:06:16 AM »
When you click this link, a summary is shown with some "useless" infos like time elapsed for the operation, virus table version...
Nothing really important so don't worry about what you miss. :)
Concerning your problem, did you ever tried a proggy like windowblinds or talisman (hoverdesk etc) ?
If so, maybe these programs messed up your configuration...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2003, 01:22:52 AM »
Also Msgsrv32 does not show up in the task list (if you pres crtl,alt,delete) it shows up as an active task with the data collect 'startlist.zip' or with taskmon etc.

If it helps, download  Process Viewer 3.7.2.1 (http://www.prcview.com). It is completely compatible with Windows 98 and avast. Here you would see the MSGSRV32 task.
The best things in life are free.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2003, 04:48:01 PM »
Hey guys I kind of miss why the majority of posts in this thread relate to msgsrv32.exe (when in fact the question was about the blue popup :)).

Indeed, msgsrv has nothing to do with it...

However, I really don't know the answer to the original question. I've never seen such a behavior before. The truth is that there was a bug in versions prior to 4.0.235 that was causing that the 'click here for more info' link was not working but if you're running 235 it should be OK...

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2003, 02:52:50 AM »
Hey guys I kind of miss why the majority of posts in this thread relate to msgsrv32.exe (when in fact the question was about the blue popup :)).

Indeed, msgsrv has nothing to do with it...

However, I really don't know the answer to the original question. I've never seen such a behavior before. The truth is that there was a bug in versions prior to 4.0.235 that was causing that the 'click here for more info' link was not working but if you're running 235 it should be OK...

Vlk

You´re right. We lost the original point...
But I cannot "find" the bug in my avast 4.0.235 so I could not help on this  8)
The best things in life are free.