Author Topic: Is my mail being scanned?  (Read 4724 times)

romeohotel

Is my mail being scanned?
« on: November 24, 2004, 07:35:59 PM »
Hello, as on a previous thread I have another app using ports 25 and 110
this causes a conflict with Avast, and the program (onspeed) aborts.  I can overcome this problem by using default settings in Accounts – Mail,
but the ‘clean message’ is not inserted in either incoming or outgoing mail.
Does this mean that my emails are not being scanned? (the option is selected). In Avast4 INI file under ‘mail scanning’ the pop and smtp listen ports have been changed to 1046 and 1045, but not by me.  Any ideas.  RH.
Using version 4.5 - 523.  Win XP Home SP2.

techie101

Re:Is my mail being scanned?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2004, 08:35:46 PM »
Are you using the 4.5 version?

The updated version does not use 25 and 110 any longer since the newer method of email scanning is basically a "filter" using those ports.

However, if you have the "Insert..into clean message" checked, then it should be visible if the email is being scanned.

Make sure that the "insert" is checked for POP, SMTP and IMAP in the On Access Protection Console/Internet mail.

If it is, then check that your email client settings are those of your ISP as given.  Do not modify them as before using the 127.0.0.1 address.

This only applies if you are using Windows NT, 2000 or XP.
Windows ME and 9x versions still require the old method of configuration using the Mail Protection Wizard.

Good luck.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2004, 02:45:21 AM »
To see if avast! is scanning emails, check one of these points:

1) Is the avast icon (the special one of email scanning) be shown in the system tray?

2) Is your email header with the lines X-Antivirus: avast! (VPS 0XXX-X, XX/XX/2004), Inbound message and X-Antivirus-Status: Clean? (Right click the message, choose Properties and Details)

3) Are clean notes added at the bottom of the email? (Internet Mail provider settings)
The best things in life are free.

romeohotel

« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2004, 12:03:20 PM »
Hello, been out of action for 24 hours, but now back on line.
Thank you for your input,
If Avast no longer uses ports 25, 110 why do I get a message from my
other program (onspeed) saying ‘ another application is listening on ports 25 and 110 and
that as a consequence ‘onspeed’ email functions will be disabled for this session’
Previously this problem was extremely easy to fix by making a simple change to the
Avast4INI Pop Listening ports. How do I obtain the result in version 4.5
Please see start of thread for version and operating system info.
What if any ports should be allocated to the pop/smtp ports in Avast4 INI.
Why are these ports showing 1046 and 1045 respectively at the moment – is this correct.
As there is no mention of Avast in the email header I assume that my email is
not being scanned which worries me considerably.
RH

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2004, 02:33:00 PM »
If Avast no longer uses ports 25, 110
Who says that?

Previously this problem was extremely easy to fix by making a simple change to the Avast4INI Pop Listening ports.
You still can do that if you wish. But I sugges to wait, because there is a new version (not beta) sheduled for release later today which may solve your problem.

romeohotel

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2004, 02:48:50 PM »
Thank you Eddy, the port info came from Techie 101 - see reply at top of thread.
I await the update with bated breath.
I have tried all combinations on the INI file, and the choice at the moment is 1, no conflict message - emails not scanned. 2, conflict message - emails scanned.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2004, 03:02:50 PM »
If for whatever reason the new version doesn't solve it for you.....

The mail scanner in 4.5 can be switched to the 4.1-compatibility mode (i.e. no transparent scanning, mail wizard etc) by puttin the AutoRedirect=0 value to the [MailScanner] section of the file <avast>\
data\avast4.ini

romeohotel

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2004, 03:30:15 PM »
Eddy, I would like to wait for the new version before I try compatability mode.  How will I know when I have the new version?  Do I have to manually update?  If I do have to resort to compatability mode I cannot find Autoredirect under [mailscanner] do I have to type Autoredirect=0 by hand?
RH.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2004, 08:40:48 PM »
Eddy, I would like to wait for the new version before I try compatability mode.  How will I know when I have the new version?  Do I have to manually update?

4.5.536 is already available (http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=9007)

If I do have to resort to compatability mode I cannot find Autoredirect under [mailscanner] do I have to type Autoredirect=0 by hand?

Yes. See the first post into 'Settings' in my signature.
The best things in life are free.

romeohotel

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2004, 02:10:26 PM »
Hello,  I have just downloaded version 4.5 536 and all seems solved.
I no longer get the 'conflict' message with my other program that uses ports 25 and 110, and most importantly my emails are being scanned.
I receive a message to this effect in the system tray and also the 'clean' message is inserted in my emails.
Thank you all for your input.
Cheers RH.