Author Topic: avast! Free "Shields" are corrupting downloads  (Read 15660 times)

ady4um

Re: avast! Free "Shields" are corrupting downloads
« Reply #15 on: January 20, 2012, 10:28:19 PM »
@Satsujinlol,

Please don't get offended, as this is not my intention, but your last post didn't really answer much.

I mean, can't you check your settings?

Do you mean *definitions* autoupdates, or also the *program* itself?

Both, I believe.

Well, then go ahead and review your settings -> updates. If your PROGRAM was updated (set to automatically update), then the firewall rules MIGHT need to be deleted so they could be correctly re-created (although your description of the problem doesn't fit 100% the usual case where this is needed).
Maybe you could try disabling "game mode" in avast for some time, so at least you would be able to see any potential messages? (BTW, do you have the Status Bar options enabled and the pop ups settings too?).

I will try disabling gaming mode. Not sure which status bar/pop-up settings you are referring to :P
Again, please do your part. Review the "settings -> Status bar", and "settings -> pop ups".

I don't see (until now at least) something in avast that would block a download after some period of time. I mean, either it blocks it, or it doesn't.

I know, right? My theory is that the search process somehow corrupts the files when it's finished, or it "pulls" the file out prematurely for scanning.

You may want to try uninstalling multimedia related tools. For example, uninstall all from adobe (like "flash" and "macromedia shockwave" for example), and be sure to uninstall all versions of them. Then reboot and install the latest stable versions.

I would do the same with JAVA (which can install more than one version in parallel, and they are left behind if you don;t uninstall them manually). JavaRa may be useful for this. So finally you would use only the latest stable JAVA version available.

After rebooting, I would try also updating your web browser, if the problem still presents itself.

That were my thoughts exactly as I discovered the problem. So I updated to JRE 7, Uninstalled and reinstalled Flash player (both 32-bit and 64-bit), hell, I even updated to Firefox' Nightly build 12!
Those are not exactly the choices I would take. I mean that updating is not the same as "clean up first and install latest STABLE version only". JRE 7 is still considered not as stable, and you could still have other versions installed in parallel, so please re-read my suggestion about it.

For Flash you should uninstall ALL versions and clean any remnants (Revo uninstaller + CCleaner as examples). Then reboot and install ONE version, the latest stable, for IE ONLY (for now, until the problem is solved). Also, no 32 + 64 bits. Only the one that actually needs to be there (and the adobe flash web site will let you know which version is correct if you use IE).

Uninstall Firefox. All versions you could have. Solve the connection problem with IE first. If your downloads work correctly with IE, and with no beta or special releases of any add-on / add-in / plug in / whatever... *then* you could try using the latest STABLE version of Firefox.

Or maybe you should uninstall avast, run the removal utility (several times, each for each version of avast you ever had) and install the latest stable (and reboot) http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility.

Maybe someone else has some additional tip / clue / idea.

I already tried re-installing avast! but as I said, the issue were on my laptop as well, so the issue is somewhere else...
I'm trying to find out what my desktop and laptop have in common, but I can't seem to find anything unique about them.

Well, with all the extra / non - stable versions, you could also try avast -> web shield -> EXPERT settings -> "...well known browser only". This is not the best setting for daily use, but only for you to narrow down the problem. Now, this setting is only IN ADDITION to the previous suggestions. Once the basic tools are working, then we can improve it with those other additional browsers + plug in + add on + whatever.

You say this is happening in 2 different systems. Are both using the same connection? Simultaneously? Or these are 2 separated systems not using the same network (as, one in the office and one in your house)?

Please report back.

Satsujinlol

« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2012, 12:53:08 AM »
Please don't get offended, as this is not my intention, but your last post didn't really answer much.

I mean, can't you check your settings?

I never get offended online, so there you go.
I didn't look too much into the avast! settings before posting this. I actually looked into it afterwards, and that made me look really dumb.

Well, then go ahead and review your settings -> updates. If your PROGRAM was updated (set to automatically update), then the firewall rules MIGHT need to be deleted so they could be correctly re-created (although your description of the problem doesn't fit 100% the usual case where this is needed).

I checked it, and I had already enabled it.

Again, please do your part. Review the "settings -> Status bar", and "settings -> pop ups".

Everything is checked in the Status Bar, and "0 web & network objects were infected and blocked", nor anything else suspicious in the monthly report at the Popups tab.

Those are not exactly the choices I would take. I mean that updating is not the same as "clean up first and install latest STABLE version only". JRE 7 is still considered not as stable, and you could still have other versions installed in parallel, so please re-read my suggestion about it.

By "updating to JRE 7", I meant removing JRE 6 and thereafter installing JRE 7.
As the problem persisted after installing another clean, completely different version of Java, I bally well presume that even though the version is "unstable", the problem lies elsewhere.

For Flash you should uninstall ALL versions and clean any remnants (Revo uninstaller + CCleaner as examples). Then reboot and install ONE version, the latest stable, for IE ONLY (for now, until the problem is solved). Also, no 32 + 64 bits. Only the one that actually needs to be there (and the adobe flash web site will let you know which version is correct if you use IE).

That is pretty close to what I did.
I removed all the previous versions of Flash, installed the 64-bit version, tested, uninstalled the 64-bit version, installed the 32-bit version, tested, shrugged, then installed 64-bit again.
No change whatsoever.

Uninstall Firefox. All versions you could have. Solve the connection problem with IE first. If your downloads work correctly with IE, and with no beta or special releases of any add-on / add-in / plug in / whatever... *then* you could try using the latest STABLE version of Firefox.

Pretty similar to JRE 7, The problem persisted even after uninstalling it, and installed a completely different build with no further changes about the issue.

As I'm not a complete moron, I did all that before looking into the antivirus.

Well, with all the extra / non - stable versions, you could also try avast -> web shield -> EXPERT settings -> "...well known browser only". This is not the best setting for daily use, but only for you to narrow down the problem. Now, this setting is only IN ADDITION to the previous suggestions. Once the basic tools are working, then we can improve it with those other additional browsers + plug in + add on + whatever.

No difference.
Anyhow, I were playing with the settings in there, and I found something rather interesting, I say!
If I were to go into Expert Settings -> Actions -> Suspicious, and select "Ask" in stead of "Abort connection", the error is slightly different.
In a YouTube video, normal behaviour while the "Abort connection" is chosen would be that the video cuts off and finishes the loading bar. However, if I chose "Ask", the loading bar would not finish and call it a day. The loading bar would stop, and the buffering "ring" would show, like when you lose your connection while loading. Is a dialogue box supposed to appear, perhaps?
I thought this would be interesting for people who are familiar with how avast! operates.

Irrelevant note: I also added firefox.exe to the exception list because I don't want to disable everything in order to watch YouTube videos...

Sorry if this didn't answer the question. I'll try doing another re-install as soon as that will become relevant.
You say this is happening in 2 different systems. Are both using the same connection? Simultaneously? Or these are 2 separated systems not using the same network (as, one in the office and one in your house)?

Please report back.

Well, the weird thing is: my laptop and my desktop are rarely on the same network.
My desktop computer is the one I use at my apartment.
The laptop is the one I use at school, going through their proxy servers.
Somehow, both systems got the same issues roughly at the same time. I am using avast! on both systems, along with Firefox and Skype. I can't find any other relation other than them being connected to the same network 2 weeks ago simultaneously.

Could this be caused by some sort of virus that avast!, Malwarebytes, and Toolwiz Care can't find? Because at the time both systems were on the same network, I was browsing the Deep Web on the laptop. I haven't found any indications that my security was breached, but it might have some relevance.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 01:05:57 AM by Satsujinlol »

ady4um

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2012, 07:27:29 AM »
Avast needs to scan "everything" that connects, so making an exclusion for firefox is, IMHO, a bad idea.

I still think you should try with IE only at first, solve the problem and only *then* continue with firefox.

If avast says 0 files scanned, 0 sites..., for each shield, then avast is not working.

Since you have PROGRAM updates set to "automatic" (which is not the default), then again, something in the firewall rules could need correction. Deleting the relevant rules, saving and rebooting is the first step I would take in such case.

The "only" thing that sounds odd IMHO (in the sense that the symptoms "fit" the firewall rules being the solution) is that you are able to connect "for some time". Yet, avast scans zero traffic ???

Have you tried the removal utility http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility? I mean running it several times, each for each version of avast you ever had, in Windows Safe Mode.

There is a chance some remnant of another security tool is causing a conflict. Previous AV tools removed (not just "uninstalled")? http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/

I don't have all the other software you mentioned, so the combination of those tools could be also something you should look into.

Satsujinlol

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2012, 06:10:16 PM »
Avast needs to scan "everything" that connects, so making an exclusion for firefox is, IMHO, a bad idea.

Still better than turning off the shields :P

I still think you should try with IE only at first, solve the problem and only *then* continue with firefox.

I've struggled to install Flash Player on Firefox because of another issue I have with Adobe's installers. Having the same issues with the IE version, apparently... Anyhow, it's Firefox I want it working with. Sowwy :<

If avast says 0 files scanned, 0 sites..., for each shield, then avast is not working.

I think you might have misunderstood my post:
Everything is checked in the Status Bar, and "0 web & network objects were infected and blocked", nor anything else suspicious in the monthly report at the Popups tab.
Meaning it is scanning, but hasn't found any infected and blocked.

Since you have PROGRAM updates set to "automatic" (which is not the default), then again, something in the firewall rules could need correction. Deleting the relevant rules, saving and rebooting is the first step I would take in such case.

I think I can answer this with a quote!
There aren't any settings in the Windows firewall that mentions avast!
Yup.

The "only" thing that sounds odd IMHO (in the sense that the symptoms "fit" the firewall rules being the solution) is that you are able to connect "for some time". Yet, avast scans zero traffic ???

Re-tested. It is more persistent now even after rebooting.

Have you tried the removal utility http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility? I mean running it several times, each for each version of avast you ever had, in Windows Safe Mode.

I just removed everything on the list, and installed a clean version. Nope, Chuck Testa.

There is a chance some remnant of another security tool is causing a conflict. Previous AV tools removed (not just "uninstalled")? http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/

Nope.

I don't have all the other software you mentioned, so the combination of those tools could be also something you should look into.

[strike]Who would've thought... Toolwiz Care apparently has a real time shield of some sort.
The "Start Toolwiz Care when Windows starts" option has re-checked itself! I'll report back if I get the error after removing it.[/strike]
I bally well indeed got the error again, ol' chap!

I must thank you for your effort in this! You have been actively responding to me for days now, and I haven't even been giving my best effort in fixing this... You are surely the best support I've come across so far, and I haven't even thrown in 1 cent for this software. I'll consider buying the full version if this problem is gone :]

On another note, I almost felt reluctant to re-downloading it when I saw who the host is... CNET. The biggest disgrace to the Internet!
After distributing P2P tools, and giving us various methods of downloading copyrighted content for free, they turn their backs and start paying to get SOPA and PIPA through! This will be my last download from them.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 06:19:57 PM by Satsujinlol »

ady4um

« Reply #19 on: January 21, 2012, 07:35:17 PM »
For your reference:
Code: [Select]
files.avast.com/iavs5x/setup_av_free.exe
Now, about firefox and IE, of course I understand you want FF. My point is that solving the problem with a standard stable IE version might be easier, and *then* you would know how to "transfer" the experience to FF.

FF uses "several" versions, but the web shield will only be 100% compatible with the stable ones (not so much with beta, night releases and alike).

Avast also uses, if necessary, flash for IE. That's why I suggest first to use and set IE as default web browser with the stable version of flash and JAVA.

About the firewall, have you looked in the advanced settings of the Windows firewall? What about router?

About having an exclusion to FF (or to the web browser), I still suggest against it. You should try to narrow down which of the shields is involved in this problem (pausing each of them, one at a time, and testing some download or some other action that you know what is expected so to compare it). According to the specific shield, maybe we can find some workaround, more secure than excluding the browser.

You mentioned the exclusion for FF in the File System Shield. Even if it is not the Network Shield nor the Web Shield, I'm not convinced this is the best possible workaround.

I am just a simple user, not an avast developer, so I am not able to look deeper into avast itself. Still, I can't think of some feature in avast blocking a download only after certain time. You could still test excluding the download folder (where you save your downloads) from the File System Shield, BUT you should manually scan every download when it's finished. Of course, FF should not be excluded in this condition / situation, so to be able to compare the 2 cases. This folder exclusion opens a potential temporal hole for your security, so please be aware of this and use this method only for a brief test period.

ady4um

« Reply #20 on: January 21, 2012, 08:09:49 PM »
I took a general look at the ToolWiz product you have installed. Besides the suggestions I just posted, since you already made some uninstall + reinstall, I think that uninstalling this ToolWiz tool (and probably searching for some removal utility for any potential remnant) could make a difference too.

The reason I think this may be influencing the normal behaviour of avast is the "security" features described in their website, together with some "tune up" features (I don't want to get into more details about this, so keep being focused on the main topic). To be clear, I didn't test it and I don't have personal experience with it, but the features I just read...

After uninstalling (and maybe removing potential remnants), you should reboot and test avast again, without the exclusions (ie, with the default settings).

Let us know how it goes.

Satsujinlol

« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2012, 09:35:32 PM »
I uninstalled Toolwiz Care and removed the remaining registry keys with CCleaner. No luck :<

I also tried with IE 32-bit, which was already installed and un-touched since Jesus. Same error.

I've been messing around a bit, monitoring the "Shield traffic" thingie in the web shield and nothing was scanned when the video stops loading. Rather spiffing results...

I also tried removing the RSS bookmarks, as they were being scanned by the web shield, but I'm still getting the same results.

More testing for me... way to spend a Saturday night :]

EDIT: I just realized I've been keeping a Gmail tab open at all times... testing after closing it xD
EDIT2: Nope..

EDIT3: Uninstalled a program I had called YourFreedom, which is a kind of proxy software. It weren't running in the background, but it might have caused some kind of registry issues or something.
I also uninstalled WideCap, which is a SOCKS proxy switcher software. Same suspicions :P
I noticed I have the same programs on the laptop !
EDIT4: I've been watching a YouTube series for about an hour and it has been working just spiffing, ol' chap!

Again, thank you for your time! One of those programs seemed to be the culprit and I'm pretty sure it was WideCap. I had YourFreedom installed for quite a while before the issue appeared, and WideCap didn't seem like the kind of program that would make major changes to the system... guess I was wrong.
If there's a blacklist of programs somewhere, WideCap should be added to that list :]
« Last Edit: January 21, 2012, 10:55:51 PM by Satsujinlol »

ady4um

« Reply #22 on: January 22, 2012, 03:00:22 AM »
Glad you are improving :).

Maybe the proxy settings in avast would had to be changed to make it compatible with that WideCap thingy. Now I would leave avast working, without WideCap.

I would suggest resetting avast options to defaults, specially the exclusions. Be sure all the shields are all active, and each shield has its exclusion clean. There are also exclusions in the general settings (upper area of avast) and in each scan type (Scan computer -> scan now).

BTW, I don't think you really need those programs you uninstalled during the tests ("gaining performance, tune up options, security..., AIO" and what not), but this is just my personal opinion.

Keep testing the system for several days. If you find this issue returns back during the following days, please report back.

Satsujinlol

« Reply #23 on: January 22, 2012, 04:06:18 AM »
WideCap was never running though.. It was just installed.

Everything is still working just spiffing!

About the Toolwiz Care, I was really just using it for cleaning up. As you can see in the op, my system is perfectly capable of running pretty much anything without any tune-ups :>