Author Topic: Programs open slow, is it because of Avast settings??  (Read 11550 times)

JohnCobb

Programs open slow, is it because of Avast settings??
« on: January 20, 2012, 06:27:05 PM »
My programs open slowly. I suspect that it is something to do with Avast settings and activities.
For example when I want to send an email (Outlook Express) the reply page opens slow and also when sending and email it takes long time before the sending itself beggins. Also other programs when opening them they take long time to load.
I think that Avast is slowing the process.
I tried to stop running the "File System Sheield" but it did not improve much. I thought that this setting was slowing down opening my programs.
I have scanned my computer for Viruses and Malware and there are none, so please don't tell me to do it again.
Any suggestions? what else could it be?
Whenever I open a new program the Avast icon is rotating so I presume that it is working and scanning something and at the same time slowing down opening of the program. I know that it is for the Protection but I don't want also a slow opening programs.
I checked also many other possibilities on my computer that could slow down opening my programs but I can not see any other association to this problem only to Avast.
Waiting for comments and suggestions.
John.

Gargamel360

Re: Programs open slow, is it because of Avast settings??
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2012, 06:30:50 PM »
Operating System/Service Pack number?

Avast! program version number?

System specifications? (RAM & processor, mostly)

dagrev

« Reply #2 on: January 20, 2012, 06:37:35 PM »
Anything is possible but avast is light on the system and never slowed anything down on any thing O put it on.  Others will make more detailed and helpful suggestions, but I would check the task manager to see what might be using CPU (and Memory) if you haven't thus far.  It may indicate what is using a lot of resources. 

You might also try a repair of avast if it does seem to be the source.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2012, 06:44:08 PM »
On top of answering Gargamel360's questions have you altered any of avast's default settings ?, namely ticking the scan all files boxes under file system shield expert settings

Dch48

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2012, 06:48:55 PM »
You also should make sure that transient and persistent caching are turned on in the file system shield settings. This can significantly speed things up by not scanning things that have already been deemed to be safe. The transient cache resets every time the virus database is updated so it doesn't hurt anything to use it.
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 06:52:19 PM by Dch48 »

ady4um

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2012, 06:52:04 PM »
Use the tray icon of avast to pause the shields for 10 minutes. Open some programs (not on the Internet, so the chances you get to be infected are less) and at least "feel" the difference with the usual times 9you may want to do some action, like writing something in your word processor or whatever else you used to "feel" as slow. Now close the programs. When 10 minutes are gone, avast shields should start again.

When the shields are back ON again, repeat the same action (opening the same programs). Is there any important difference?

Usually, "some" difference is going to be, because of many factors, including avast scanning, Windows cache and others. But it should be not *that* much.

Free and used space (in percentage too) may be also a factor, and defragging may help (but only in *some* cases).

Another factor is the amount of processes running. For example, do you have many startup items? Can you delay or avoid some of those? Like, say, quicktime as an example, or adobe as another nonessential item that can be started manually when needed instead of autostartup.

As you see, there are many factors that could make your system "slow". Since you have not actually measured anything yet, we have no way to tell if avast is the source of the issue, or if avast is only *showing* you that you have some other problem (which is not the same as being the source of it), or even if avast is related in any way at all.

JohnCobb

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2012, 07:00:00 PM »
Operating System/Service Pack number?

Avast! program version number?

System specifications? (RAM & processor, mostly)

Thanks for reply and sorry for not including this info initialy.
My operating sys XP/service pack 3.
Avast: the latest version, just been downloaded and instaled. 6.0.1367
Sys spec? enough I am sure.
CPU 2 x 3166MHz
RAM = 4 G

I only use my computer for business and basic things not playing games at all.
Any suggestions?
If you have any more questions please ask.
Waiting for comments and help.
Regards to all
John

ady4um

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2012, 07:05:56 PM »

Rebooted after the install?

Did you use any other antivirus before avast? Any other security tools currently installed or that used to be installed before?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 10:34:16 PM by ady4um »

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2012, 07:07:38 PM »
So have you altered any of the default avast settings ? what was your previous AV and how did you remove it ? did you run the vendors removal tool after the deletion of your previous AV to remove leftovers ?

What other security software is installed on the system ?

JohnCobb

« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2012, 07:21:00 PM »
You also should make sure that transient and persistent caching are turned on in the file system shield settings. This can significantly speed things up by not scanning things that have already been deemed to be safe. The transient cache resets every time the virus database is updated so it doesn't hurt anything to use it.
I have checked that  and all settings are in place

Gargamel360

« Reply #10 on: January 20, 2012, 07:33:58 PM »
Since you disabled the FSS, and it did not alleviate it.....I would take a look at the Behavior Shield/Expert Settings.

Add the programs with a hang (or rather their processes) to the Trusted Process list.

If that does not help, try the "Monitor System" check boxes, specifically the one for "unauthorized modifications".

Dch48

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2012, 08:47:25 PM »
This problem can also be caused by a cluttered registry filled with obsolete references to things that no longer exist or shortcuts that point to the wrong locations for files. If you don't already do so, give CCleaner a try and run it's registry cleaner. It's perfectly safe and will make a backup for you if you choose to do so. I run it frequently and almost never choose the backup option and have never had a problem.

Another thing that can cause it is massive fragmentation of your hard drive. When was the last time you defragmented it?
« Last Edit: January 20, 2012, 08:50:02 PM by Dch48 »

YoKenny

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2012, 04:22:56 PM »
I hope you are running avast! Pro or Internet Security as avast! Free can not be used on business systems.  ???

JohnCobb

« Reply #13 on: January 24, 2012, 01:39:54 PM »
This problem can also be caused by a cluttered registry filled with obsolete references to things that no longer exist or shortcuts that point to the wrong locations for files. If you don't already do so, give CCleaner a try and run it's registry cleaner. It's perfectly safe and will make a backup for you if you choose to do so. I run it frequently and almost never choose the backup option and have never had a problem.

Another thing that can cause it is massive fragmentation of your hard drive. When was the last time you defragmented it?

I have done that, I do registry cleanup frequently.

JohnCobb

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2012, 01:42:05 PM »
Anything is possible but avast is light on the system and never slowed anything down on any thing O put it on.  Others will make more detailed and helpful suggestions, but I would check the task manager to see what might be using CPU (and Memory) if you haven't thus far.  It may indicate what is using a lot of resources. 

You might also try a repair of avast if it does seem to be the source.

How do I repair Avast? Where is this option? I have never seen it.
Thanks. J