Author Topic: Programs open slow, is it because of Avast settings??  (Read 11597 times)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Programs open slow, is it because of Avast settings??
« Reply #15 on: January 24, 2012, 01:48:10 PM »
How do I repair Avast? Where is this option? I have never seen it.
Thanks. J

Repair avast!:
1. Control Panel -> Add/Remove programs -> avast!
2. Scroll down and click on 'Repair'.
3. Follow instructions.
4. Reboot.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

JohnCobb

Re: Programs open slow, is it because of Avast settings??
« Reply #16 on: January 24, 2012, 01:49:02 PM »
Use the tray icon of avast to pause the shields for 10 minutes. Open some programs (not on the Internet, so the chances you get to be infected are less) and at least "feel" the difference with the usual times 9you may want to do some action, like writing something in your word processor or whatever else you used to "feel" as slow. Now close the programs. When 10 minutes are gone, avast shields should start again.

When the shields are back ON again, repeat the same action (opening the same programs). Is there any important difference?

Usually, "some" difference is going to be, because of many factors, including avast scanning, Windows cache and others. But it should be not *that* much.

Free and used space (in percentage too) may be also a factor, and defragging may help (but only in *some* cases).

Another factor is the amount of processes running. For example, do you have many startup items? Can you delay or avoid some of those? Like, say, quicktime as an example, or adobe as another nonessential item that can be started manually when needed instead of autostartup.

As you see, there are many factors that could make your system "slow". Since you have not actually measured anything yet, we have no way to tell if avast is the source of the issue, or if avast is only *showing* you that you have some other problem (which is not the same as being the source of it), or even if avast is related in any way at all.

Hello Ady4Um
Thanks for trying to help. I have paused that shield and tried that already.
Plenty of space left 3/4 of the disk. Difrag tells me that it is not required yet.
I always have the minimum started processes running in the background because I know that it slows donwn computers.
J