Author Topic: Avast 4.5 and Sounds  (Read 7390 times)

Gillie2tat

Re:Avast 4.5 and Sounds
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2004, 12:32:58 PM »
Actually I see this as a potentially serious issue in terms of noise control.

I'm severely deaf and wear a hearing aid and I normally just turn my speakers off so I wouldn't know if there was a noise there.  There's no indication that Avast is making a noise when the virus alert comes up.

So how would someone who can't hear at all know that this was going on unless someone complained, probably made him feel awful in the process (Yes I know and this does happen) and told him to switch it off?  I can see occasions taking place when someone is using Avast on a home PC with speakers on, doesn't know the alarm makes a noise and irritates the neighbours no end with it!  Very few programs make noises unless you tell them to.

The procedure needs to be a little more transparent in terms of visuals I think when the Avast warning takes place.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2004, 12:46:47 PM »
Looks like no one of you have ever tried Panda Antivirus...
Its also using voice warnings.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Gillie2tat

« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2004, 08:26:50 PM »
Nope I've used the online scanner occasionally but never the full antivirus program.  And like I said, when you're deaf you don't need sound on the web because you can't hear it - so I surf with speakers switched off:) I would not have known if sounds were there.  I suppose the lesson here is - don't make anything in your computer programming dependent on sound alone, always provide a text alternative.

Couldn't the option to switch off sounds be placed in the menu you get when you right click on the Avast ball in the System Tray?
« Last Edit: November 27, 2004, 08:28:16 PM by Gillie2tat »

EP

« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2004, 09:10:40 PM »
Gillie2that, you can deactivate I think the sounds if you right click on the blue ball on your system tray and then go to in program settings- Sounds.

Gillie2tat

« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2004, 11:26:23 PM »
THanks!