Author Topic: Can I Disable Avast's! shields temporary for gaming???  (Read 16491 times)

mark5247

Can I Disable Avast's! shields temporary for gaming???
« on: January 24, 2012, 03:14:45 PM »
I am having problems when I play games such as lagg or somewhat slow computer is it okay if a disable my shields until I am done playing? cause I played games without an anti-virus for years and didn't have this type of slow-Computer-Problem. Plus no viruses encountered me because I never went at the internet while playing and by internet I mean Internet browser...
« Last Edit: January 24, 2012, 03:18:55 PM by mark5247 »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Can I Disable Avast's! shields temporary for gaming???
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2012, 03:26:02 PM »
I am having problems when I play games such as lagg or somewhat slow computer is it okay if a disable my shields until I am done playing?

I wouldn't do it.
BTW, there's also a gaming mode in avast!... ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

mark5247

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2012, 03:29:11 PM »
I know but it just disable messages from avast! coming through and I put it why Can't I disable shields though I have been playing the same game without an anti-virus for years and I didn't get viruses from it at all its safe.

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2012, 03:50:29 PM »
I'm gaming with avast! enabled for years and i haven't seen any drawbacks so i can't really see any reason to disable it. Most of the data is just passed through the scanner, that's why you won't even notice it and that's why it's simply pointless to even disable it in the first place.

You might see a difference when launching Adobe Photoshop for the first time because it will load bunch of DLL plugins. Games usually contain just few DLL files, main EXE file and loads of textures which aren't even scanned because they cannot contain malware. Seriously, like 3/4 of the game content in size are textures. The rest are misc files that are scanned quickly and because of the advanced caching, they hardly ever need rescanning.

My recommendation, just leave it enabled.
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2012, 03:52:31 PM »
The ethernal advice: never disable your antivirus, even less when you're online ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2012, 03:53:19 PM »
I know but it just disable messages from avast! coming through and I put it why Can't I disable shields though I have been playing the same game without an anti-virus for years and I didn't get viruses from it at all its safe.

Why ask the question if you have effectively made up your mind.

The fact that you have done it for years without problem is more by luck than design.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mark5247

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2012, 03:55:11 PM »
OK I wont but is there like an exception folder for anti-viruses (Avast!) because some of the games I play say it has viruses but doesn't....

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2012, 04:00:57 PM »
OK I wont but is there like an exception folder for anti-viruses (Avast!) because some of the games I play say it has viruses but doesn't....
and how do you know....?

upload suspicious file(s) to www.virustotal.com and test with 40+ malware scanners
when you have the result, copy the url in the address bar and post it here for us to see

alternative
Jotti     http://virusscan.jotti.org/en
VirSCAN   http://virscan.org/
Metascan   http://www.metascan-online.com/

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2012, 04:04:06 PM »
...because some of the games I play say it has viruses but doesn't....

So how do you know...???
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

mark5247

« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2012, 04:12:04 PM »
cause I bought them with real money XD

ady4um

« Reply #10 on: January 24, 2012, 06:41:54 PM »
I'm confussed about the original question and the answers provided.

If the question is about what other users opine, well, you have their answers.

If the question is about technically how to do it, simply go to avast tray icon -> avast shields control -> pause according to your needs. You can also pause each shield at a time so to find out which one is influencing your system resources.

BTW, I'm not recommending it. I'm just answering to your technical question.

Offline RZPogi

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2012, 09:07:03 PM »
You may want to upgrade your gaming machine instead. Avast doesn't cause lags even if I set the game graphic settings to high.
DESKTOP: Win 10, Avast 20 Free, Windows firewall, Malwarebytes free

LAPTOP: Win 10, Windows Defender, Malwarebytes free, Windows Firewall, Mcshield

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2012, 10:06:31 PM »
cause I bought them with real money XD

I remember there was a malware injected through some plugin in i think Battlefield or was it some Call of Duty game...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

true indian

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2012, 05:32:41 PM »
Yep!

even many of my games my girl plays on my sisters desktop are subject to malware infections....

avast got them of course...

Dch48

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2012, 08:40:23 PM »
I have never noticed any slowdown in games with Avast on but you will get higher numbers in benchmark tests like 3DMark if you temporarily disable your AV for the duration of the test. I always leave Avast running though except for when I'm benchmarking new drivers.