Author Topic: Avast, Outlook and Gmail  (Read 8514 times)

villandra

Avast, Outlook and Gmail
« on: January 25, 2012, 02:45:01 AM »
I want to use Avast with Outlook.  Two of my accounts are gmail, and two of them are not gmail.   Gmail uses SSL/ TLS, and doesn't atleast give out any alternative.  (You have to use particular settings that go with SSL and TLS to receive your gmail). 

At the moment if I have the mail realtime shield enabled either Outlook hangs up and won't open, or my gmail doesn't download.   

Has anyone got a workaround for this?

Yours,
Dora

villandra

Re: Avast, Outlook and Gmail
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2012, 03:31:03 AM »
There's a tutorial at
https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=917
that actually shows how to fix this.

I had to search for it in Google.  Your forums apparently have a search feature but it is VERY hard to find.  Not on every subforum page where it needs to be. 

It appears to work so far.  I'll be back if it doesn't.

Dora

villandra

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2012, 03:32:29 AM »
Google found Avast's fix for the ashOutXt.dll error message that was appearing when I started Outlook as well.  I thought that that error message meant the e-mail filter wasn't working.

Dora

Jack 1000

Re: Avast, Outlook and G-Mail
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2012, 08:43:05 PM »
If you don't do these steps and have a G-Mail account, will your G-Mail still be scanned by Avast?  I always see Avast scanning G-Mail when my computer client uses her G-Mail account on this computer.

That tutorial showed a lot to do, that still might confuse some people.  I don't understand as G-Mail is not ISP dependent, but off of Google's servers, why would you have to do this configuration for G-Mail? 

Shouldn't Avast be able to scan your Outlook Mail once the ISP settings have been set up and the incoming/outgoing settings are correct?

Jack

Jack 1000

Re: Avast, Outlook and G-Mail
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2012, 08:56:17 PM »
If you don't do these steps and have a G-Mail account, will your G-Mail still be scanned by Avast?  I always see Avast scanning G-Mail when my computer client uses her G-Mail account on this computer.

That tutorial showed a lot to do, that still might confuse some people.  I don't understand as G-Mail is not ISP dependent, but off of Google's servers, why would you have to do this configuration for G-Mail?  

Shouldn't Avast be able to scan your Outlook Mail once the ISP settings have been set up and the incoming/outgoing settings are correct?

Jack

I think this answers my question:  (Taken from Avast FAQ)

How does avast! 5.x secure web based e-mail services such as Yahoo, Gmail, etc.?

Web based e-mail services such as Yahoo, Gmail etc. usually have their own security options, because e-mails are received and stored on the remote Mail Server and users access their e-mail accounts remotely via their web browser. In other words, web based e-mail services are like any other website, and if you try to save, download or run a suspicious file from a web based e-mail account, it will be detected by the web shield built into avast! 5.x.

As a result you should not expect to see any scan history in the Mail Shield screen if using a web-based email services. If you have any doubts about the security of your web based e-mail service provider, you can alternatively launch your web browser within the avast! Sandbox and then access your web based e-mail account within this secure virtualized environment.

Taken from:

http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=455#idt_11

Jack

PS.  Although the above is for Avast 5 in the Help files, I assume that Avast 6, follows the same procedure.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 08:58:07 PM by Jack 1000 »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2012, 09:01:00 PM »

ady4um

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2012, 10:07:23 PM »
@Jack 1000,

You are mixing the specific email provider (gmail, ymail...), Outlook (email client), and web interface for the same email provider.

For Outlook -> mail shield.
For web interface -> web shield.