Author Topic: detailed info "window" cannot be dismissed  (Read 4797 times)

beerslayer

detailed info "window" cannot be dismissed
« on: November 28, 2004, 06:44:48 AM »
I have Avast 4.5 currently configured to show "Detailed Info" when checking email.  I like seeing the status of the email as each is scanned - it reassures me that Avast is on the job.

However, there's a serious inconvenience involved now.

In previous (4.1 and earlier) versions of Avast, if the Detailed Info "window" popped up over some other window and got in the way, I could dismiss it by clicking it.  It would, of course, reappear when the next mail started to download, but this usually gave me a few seconds to do whatever I needed to do at the bottom of the window being hidden - usually, clicking an OK/Cancel button.

Now, in Avast 4.5, I can no longer dismiss the Detailed Info window by clicking on it.  It remains in the way, between me and the window I need to access, and the only workarounds are either to wait until it goes away on its own (which can take quite a while when checking a full mailbox over a dial-up connection) or to move the other window to where I can access its buttons.  This is very annoying.

I'd really, really appreciate it if Avast could restore the ability to dismiss the Detailed Info by clicking on it so that I can get it out of my way in this situation.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:detailed info "window" cannot be dismissed
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2004, 10:47:45 AM »
Prevent applications from steeling focus and see if it solves it.

When an application needs your attention—or when it simply wants to annoy you—it steals the focus from the application in which you're currently working. This leads to frustration as you flip back and forth between windows. The settings in the Focus category prevent that scenario by causing applications to flash their taskbar buttons to get your attention rather than stealing focus from the application in the foreground.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2004, 03:07:41 PM »
Beerslayer, everything related to the "Detailed Info" banner at the bottom of the window is working on avast. Alwil should correct nothing on it? Why don't you set correctly the avast4.ini file for your need? See 'Settings' on my signature on section [AAVM]

Btw, are we talking about the same?
I've never seen buttons 'ok' and 'cancel' in that info message...  :-\
The best things in life are free.

beerslayer

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2004, 01:06:10 AM »
I don't think we're talking about the same thing, Tech.  I'm talking about the blue and white "detailed info" banner that appears at the very bottom of the window, just above the task bar, whenever Avast scans incoming mail.  It does NOT have any OK/Cancel buttons on it.

The OK/Cancel buttons I'm referring to are on other windows that are covered up by the blue and white banner, and which I can no longer get to while that blue and white banner is on the screen.

In earlier versions of Avast (4.1 and earlier), when that blue and white banner appeared, I could get rid of it temporarily (for a second or two, at least) by clicking on it.  This gave me time to click any buttons I needed to click on whatever window was covered by the blue and white banner.  I can no longer do this with Avast 4.5 - clicking on the blue and white banner has no effect on it and all I can do is either wait for the mail check to complete (which can take several minutes), or to move the window to where I can access its buttons.  This is very annoying, to say the least.

Yes, I could turn off the "Detailed Info", but as I stated originally, I like seeing that info.  I just don't like for it to prevent me from getting at other windows.

As I said earlier, this was NOT the case in earlier versions of Avast, and I did not make any changes to the .ini file since upgrading to 4.5.

beerslayer

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2004, 09:45:56 PM »
If there IS an option in avast4.ini that controls this functionality, please let me know - I'll happily change it.  But this doesn't strike me as the sort of thing that would be made into a setting.  It also prevents me from accessing items at the bottom of a long menu (such as Firefox's).

This problem is getting so annoying that I'm about to turn off the "Detailed Info" notification, and that would really be a shame since I like having that info displayed.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 01:39:02 AM »
This problem is getting so annoying that I'm about to turn off the "Detailed Info" notification, and that would really be a shame since I like having that info displayed.

You can use a lower font for them... it will be a workaround...
Did you test the the version 4.5.542 ( last official) to see how does it work?  ::)

beerslayer

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2004, 08:08:16 AM »

You can use a lower font for them... it will be a workaround...
I'm afraid that's not much of a workaround... I might get back a few pixels but it's not significant.
Did you test the the version 4.5.542 ( last official) to see how does it work?  ::)
Yes.  No difference.

I can't help but wonder what made the developers decide to change this in the first place.  What possible advantage could have been gained by disabling this functionality?

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2004, 08:49:52 AM »
Beerslayer, it's very simple: use the right-hand mouse button!

(If you're asking why we changed this detail, the reason is that the popup window now sometimes has a "Do not show this window next time" hyperlink on it (namely in case of the Network Shield messages) and it wouldn't be clear if the user is clicking on the hyperlink (with a left  click) or just dismissing the window (also with a left click...))
« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 08:52:55 AM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

beerslayer

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2004, 08:51:59 PM »
Beerslayer, it's very simple: use the right-hand mouse button!

That works!  Thanks! :)

(If you're asking why we changed this detail, the reason is that the popup window now sometimes has a "Do not show this window next time" hyperlink on it (namely in case of the Network Shield messages) and it wouldn't be clear if the user is clicking on the hyperlink (with a left  click) or just dismissing the window (also with a left click...))

Hmm.  Interesting.  I figured there must have been some logical reason for it - it had seemed to me like such a senseless change otherwise.  I've never seen that particular link but I'll take your word for it.

At any rate, thanks for the info, Vlk!  I've been extremely happy with Avast thus far and this just restores my faith in it and in you.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2004, 01:01:01 AM »
this just restores my faith in it and in you.

I can't believe you've lost it anytime  :P  ;D