Author Topic: Behavior Shield on Ask  (Read 14926 times)

Dch48

Behavior Shield on Ask
« on: January 26, 2012, 08:55:36 PM »
I had been running with the Behavior Shield on Ask to try it out. I just switched back to Auto-Decide because it got too annoying and HIPS like. I updated my video driver yesterday and got 3 warnings during the process. It's a signed driver from AMD so it shouldn't do that in my opinion. I had also gotten 4 or 5 other alerts about safe applications. I can confirm now that the Behavior Shield indeed does work but it's too aggressive in my humble opinion.

Gargamel360

Re: Behavior Shield on Ask
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 09:04:00 PM »
I had been running with the Behavior Shield on Ask to try it out. I just switched back to Auto-Decide because it got too annoying and HIPS like. I updated my video driver yesterday and got 3 warnings during the process. It's a signed driver from AMD so it shouldn't do that in my opinion. I had also gotten 4 or 5 other alerts about safe applications. I can confirm now that the Behavior Shield indeed does work but it's too aggressive in my humble opinion.
Yeah, whatever "magic pill" makes for effective behavior protection without being too aggressive, they have not found it. 

I had pretty much the same results when set on Ask, it seems to be pretty much HIPS-like, it alerts on everything (or at least most things) it scans and defers action to the user.

akama1

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 02:46:53 AM »
my behaviour shield is set on ask and i find it tooo silent :/ btw how does the behaviour shield work when you set it on auto-decide?

Dch48

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 07:12:57 AM »
It pretty much allows everything on auto-decide. I never had it question or block anything. I prefer a totally silent security product.

nsm0220

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2012, 08:17:15 AM »
It pretty much allows everything on auto-decide. I never had it question or block anything. I prefer a totally silent security product.

here is trouble with that its weakness is with rasomeware or if you are unlucky a rootkit if Behavior Shield doesn't tell you

btw please don't get rid of this post because sick and tried you guys getting in my life     

akama1

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2012, 10:33:09 AM »
so we shud put it on all block?

nsm0220

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2012, 05:40:47 PM »
so we shud put it on all block?

put it on ask

Dch48

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2012, 06:01:21 PM »
I say leave it on auto-decide unless you want to keep getting annoyed and interrupted by alerts for things that are perfectly safe. That kind of behavior was what made me move away from Comodo and anything else with a HIPS component. Avast just needs to improve heuristics and the behavior shield to the point where it only alerts for actual malware. If that's even possible. It should be as silent as Norton is and just as effective.

nsm0220

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2012, 06:14:33 PM »
I say leave it on auto-decide unless you want to keep getting annoyed and interrupted by alerts for things that are perfectly safe. That kind of behavior was what made me move away from Comodo and anything else with a HIPS component. Avast just needs to improve heuristics and the behavior shield to the point where it only alerts for actual malware. If that's even possible. It should be as silent as Norton is and just as effective.

im sorry thats going to be the way of the future

Dch48

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 08:37:07 PM »

im sorry thats going to be the way of the future
I'm not sure what you mean. Which way is in the future in your opinion?

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 08:50:53 PM »
It's definitely a matter of preference.
For me personally, if there is any question, I prefer to lean towards stronger control (hands on security) and less convenience.
I changed from 'auto decide' to 'Ask'
Just my preference. ;)

DonZ63

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 11:36:08 PM »
HIPS software runs in two modes; trusted publisher and manual - trust nothing.

When you install new software in trusted publisher mode, you ar trusting the publisher's certificate that the software is malware free and legit. No one trusts certificates anymore since too many have been stolen or hacked.

That leads manual mode which will give numerous alerts on any protected area activity. How do you stop that? You install drivers and trusted software in what is called "training mode." Usually envolves one mouse click for most HIPS's.

I would assume the procedure in Avast would be to set behavior shield to auto decide when installing and then turn it back to ask when the installation is complete. This sure doesn't seem a lot of effort to me and is much more secure that leaving it always in auto decide mode. I am with the camp that found they never once recieved an alert with bevaior shield set to auto-decide.

Offline ky331

« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2012, 02:27:35 PM »
I've finally gotten around to upgrading avast from v6 to v7.   

In terms of "first impressions", like several people in this thread, I've found the behavior shield "overly chatty" when set to ASK.   I had it set to ASK when using v6, and about the only time v6 ever prompted me was when downloading/installing DotNet updates.   But now, under v7, it indeed appears very HIPS-like, questioning just about everything I try to do.   While in general, I prefer to let avast allow me to decide what to do when a problem is found (i.e., I have ALL its other shields set to ASK), I have reluctantly set the behavior shield back to auto-decide.

Given that this thread has had no entries in about 2 1/2 months, I was wondering what other people were experiencing (or have learned) about how best to set the behavior shield.   (If it makes any difference, I'm working under XP/SP3... remaining security per my signature.)
Lenovo T530 laptop, Intel Core i5-3320M @ 2.60 GHz, 8GB RAM, Windows 7 Pro SP1 (64-bit), avast! 17 Free, MBAM3 Pro, Windows Firewall, MVPS HOSTS file, OpenDNS Family Shield, Zemana AntiLogger Free, SpywareBlaster, IE11 & Firefox [both using WOT (IE set to WARN, FF set to BLOCK)], WinPatrol PLUS, uBlock Origin, MBAE, MCShield, CryptoPrevent, SAS (on-demand scanner). 
[I believe computer-users who sandbox (Sandboxie) are acting prudently.]

crofty59

« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2012, 02:46:28 PM »
I have behavior shield set to "ask" on both computers.
I do not get asked to often to allow anything.
What i have noticed is if you have Microsoft Netframewok installed, i change behavior shield back to Auto-Decide for any updates or installing Microsoft Netframewok etc otherwise you get lots of pop ups which you have to click Allow. That is the only time i change the setting in behavior shield.

Cheers :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2012, 04:03:12 PM »
I too have it on Ask and rarely get asked, but I have unchecked the "Monitor the system for unauthorised modifications" as WinPatrol Plus and my Firewall also monitor that area.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security