Author Topic: Can't logon when trying to run bootup scan....  (Read 10575 times)

megamanrulesall

Can't logon when trying to run bootup scan....
« on: January 27, 2012, 06:39:59 AM »
I am Running Windows Vista Home Premium and I downloaded Avast. I wanted to run a scan at Bootup. But one I restart (and everytime, not allowing to boot to safemode via F8 key), it asks me to login as "Other User" and asks for a username & password. I seem unable to login to do anything now.

What can I do to fix this issue?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Can't logon when trying to run bootup scan....
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2012, 11:46:35 AM »
Can you restore the "Last known good configuration"?
The best things in life are free.

megamanrulesall

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2012, 12:09:24 PM »
Can you restore the "Last known good configuration"?

Nope. It won't allow me to do any form of specialized bootup thing. Pressing F8 for the whole Safe mode, Safe mode with networking & other options doesn't popup. It automatically goes straight to this logon thing and I see no way to fix the issue as I can't seem to even get into the system or perform any form of scan.

ady4um

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2012, 02:10:53 PM »
Maybe you are missing the exact moment when you are allowed to press F8 ?

Do you see avast boot scan running or anything else? (BTW, avast boot scan can be stopped by the <esc> key.)

Just to be clear, the Windows user account issue is not related to avast, so something else is going on there.

megamanrulesall

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2012, 02:37:10 PM »
Maybe you are missing the exact moment when you are allowed to press F8 ?

Do you see avast boot scan running or anything else? (BTW, avast boot scan can be stopped by the <esc> key.)

Just to be clear, the Windows user account issue is not related to avast, so something else is going on there.

I am not, as the instant I turn it on from being off, I am hitting F8 really fast. But all it does is act as though nothing happened, loading the login screen and that "Other Login" screen. I don't see anything mentioning Avast pop up. I just assumed that it would happen after this login type thing.

Not to mention that this happened right after saying for the computer to run a boot scan and then restart without never having done anything in the past like this. Almost as though somehow either this Avast is needing some form of logon to happen to allow the scan to happen (sounds unlikely as it seems as though it would take place before any such logon. But could be possible, similar to how sometimes choosing settings for an OS before it boots to it from fresh install.) It is as though somehow, the computer "lost" records of the user accounts after the Avast thingy.

I also noticed that the screen resolution is super low instead of the biggest I have it at. As though something altered the settings. Part of me wonders if the Avast thing happens in a way where one logs on to make sure there is admin priveliges, before scanning. Kinda like what I suspect System Restore could be for Safe mode in like, Windows XP or something.

Of course, I am a bit tired, so I may not be thinking as good as normal. Kinda sucks my laptop now won't work after doing this. >_< Sucks that you no longer get a copy of the OS cd when getting a computer/laptop like one used to ages ago. That is the tiredness talking. Sorry about that.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2012, 04:33:21 PM »
Well... Backup is always necessary...

If you could...
1. Boot with Windows 7 DVD or USB flash drive.
2. When prompted, press any key, and then follow the instructions that appear.
3. On the Install Windows page, click Repair your computer.
5 .Select the Windows installation you want to repair, and then click Next.
6. On the System Recovery Options menu, click on System Restore and try to restore to some earlier checkpoint.
The best things in life are free.

ady4um

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2012, 04:50:13 PM »
@megamanrulesall,

I'm told essexboy (an expert here in avast's forum) was already notified so to check this topic later.

In the meantime, since you have a laptop (and no Windows VISTA CD/DVD/UFD, according to your post), please check that the F8 key is "really" F8. Some systems use an "Fn" special key so to activate the F1...F8...F12 keys. Otherwise, the same F8 key is actually something else.

In addition, instead of just pressing F8, "tap" several times (as oppose to pressing just once and holding the key).

In the past, had you been able to see the Windows boot menu with F8, ever?

BTW, please add in your next post additional information (besides answering to my questions above and trying those suggestions):

Vista Home Premium, but x32/x64? SP1 and SP2 installed? Avast Free or Pro or AIS? Which exact version of avast (6.0.1367)?

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2012, 08:51:17 PM »
Hi lets have a look - prior to the boot scan did Avast report an infection ?

OK next we will work outside of windows.
You should be able to access the net from this CD
Please print these instruction out so that you know what you are doing

• Download OTLPENet.exe to your desktop
  • Download the attached scan.txt to a USB drive
  • Ensure that you have a blank CD in the drive
  • Double click OTLPENet.exe and this will then open imgburn  to burn the file to CD
  • Reboot your system using the boot CD you just created.Note : If you do not know how to set your computer to boot from CD follow the steps here
  • As the CD needs to detect your hardware and load the operating system, I would recommend a nice cup of tea whilst it loads  :)
  • Your system should now display a Reatogo desktop.Note : as you are running from CD it is not exactly speedy
  • Double-click on the OTLPE icon.
  • Select the Windows folder of the infected drive if it asks for a location
  • When asked "Do you wish to load the remote registry", select Yes
  • When asked "Do you wish to load remote user profile(s) for scanning", select Yes
  • Ensure the box "Automatically Load All Remaining Users" is checked and press OK
  • OTL should now start
  • Drag and drop the scan.txt into the Custom scans and fixes box, or double click the scan box
  • Press Run Scan to start the scan.
  • When finished, the file will be saved  in drive C:\OTL.txt
  • Copy this file to your USB drive if you do not have internet connection on this system
  • Right click the file and select send to : select the USB drive. 
  • Confirm that it has copied to the USB drive by selecting it
  • You can backup any files that you wish from this OS
  • Please post the contents of the C:\OTL.txt file in your reply.

megamanrulesall

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 01:34:46 AM »
If I remember correctly there may have indeed been reports of some infection. I can't remember what though. >_<

in response to ady4um, I have been able to get the boot menu via F8 all the time, I think the vista is the X64, unsure what service pack. Probably SP1 if I had to guess, And Avast Pro, the latest non Beta one if memory serves correctly.

ady4um

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2012, 01:51:03 AM »
When did you install this Windows version? Was this just about a month ago? Did you perform the activation / validation of Vista?

Or maybe you ran some Factory Restore about a month ago?

megamanrulesall

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2012, 02:38:44 AM »
Well, I have had this laptop for over 2 years or so. But I did the activation and whatnot back when I got it.

Also, I don't believe I ran any form of factory restore. Especially due to the fact I have a lot of data on the main disk drive and not yet the $$$ for a new external hard drive.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2012, 12:27:38 PM »
OK you had consrv.dll/zero access.  You have a 64bit Vista SP1 ;D

This should fix the problem amd allow a normal boot

Start OTLPE as you did previously from CD
Copy the attached Fix.txt to a USB

• Insert your USB drive with fix.txt on it
  • Start OTLPE
  • Drag and drop fix.txt into the Custom scans and fixes box
  • If you cannot drag and drop for some reason.  Then press the Run Fix button and a dialogue box will pop up asking for the location - select the file on your USB drive  
  • Then click the Run Fix button at the top
  • Let the program run unhindered, reboot when it is done to normal mode if possible
  • Then post a new OTL log ( don't check the boxes beside LOP Check or Purity this time )

megamanrulesall

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 05:57:59 AM »
Did as you said essexboy . Not fixed yet, but here is the newest log with those two options unchecked as you mentioned.

Offline essexboy

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 01:03:07 PM »
OK that was my error I noticed a missing space in the reg fix  :-[

I have reworked the fix now

Restart as previously instructions and use this fix.txt

megamanrulesall

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 09:43:50 PM »
thanks for trying to help, but still, no dice.

If I made a scan before trying the Bootup scan, would there be a log of what was detected or removed? Or did the program I run pretty much do the same type of thing? Next time I run the program, should I see what the list of usernames are? Seems as though there are four. Not sure if I can lopgn with any of them as I tried one and it says it doesn't exist. I am using my ancient computer for internet as there may not be drivers for XP for my wireless thing on the laptop.

I just hope nothing happens to this computer, otherwise I'll be screwed. ^_^;