Author Topic: File mistaken  (Read 1568 times)

techpeck

File mistaken
« on: January 28, 2012, 05:34:29 AM »
A few months ago I saw this error when Avast! said that the winlogin application is malware.(File Path:C:\Windows\system32\winlogin.exe)Also when I saw that message the error no. was increasing and it was the same file every time. I've fixed it that day, I just had to turn off file system shield for 10 min. I was just want to know how this error started.

??? Help!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: File mistaken
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 01:58:18 PM »
It is somewhat hard to comment on something that happened a few months ago as any evidence is likely to be history. There is also no malware name given for the alert or what this error no. issue was/is in relation to the alert.

The winlogon.exe file is a target for some malware where it misuses the legit file for malicious purposes.

The last thing I would have done though when getting the alerts would have been to stop the file system shield as you never know going on.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security