Author Topic: E-Mail set as 'hidden to public' still shows - Why??  (Read 2581 times)

birka1

E-Mail set as 'hidden to public' still shows - Why??
« on: January 31, 2012, 05:32:49 AM »
Have email set as 'hidden to public' and it still shows up.  Why is this setting not working?? ???

Gargamel360

Re: E-Mail set as 'hidden to public' still shows - Why??
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2012, 05:37:36 AM »
The icon still shows up for you to see.  But its not visible to me, so you have it set right.

edit; see attachment, how I see it from my end, mine is visible, yours is not.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 05:39:36 AM by Gargamel360 »

birka1

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2012, 02:46:58 PM »
The icon still shows up for you to see.  But its not visible to me, so you have it set right.

edit; see attachment, how I see it from my end, mine is visible, yours is not.
Thanks for the explanation !! :) I understand what you are saying, but it's still somewhat confusing in checking if you have it set right. What is the reason for this, cause if I click on the email icon that shows up in my view it takes me to my email address. So how can you verify if you have it set right. Am I missing something here as I don't have your or anybody elses view of my settings ? Belong to a few tech forums, and this is the first time this kind of issue has ever come up.

YoKenny

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2012, 03:28:57 PM »
Trust what Gargamel360 says.

Only you and the forum Moderators can see your email.

Also when you click on Logged
Your IP address is shown only to you and moderators. Remember that this information is not identifying, and that most IPs change periodically.

You cannot see other members' IP addresses, and they cannot see yours.

birka1

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2012, 03:36:50 PM »
Trust what Gargamel360 says.

Only you and the forum Moderators can see your email.

Also when you click on Logged
Your IP address is shown only to you and moderators. Remember that this information is not identifying, and that most IPs change periodically.

You cannot see other members' IP addresses, and they cannot see yours.

OK take your word for it. Thanks for reply !

ady4um

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2012, 04:58:38 PM »
@birka1,

You don't have to take our word (you should, but we are not imposing you anything :) ).

It's simple. Log out from the forum. Return to some post of yours, but still without logging in. You won't see your posts "as you", so this is the same as anyone else sees it. Your email should not be there in such situation (since you already set it to be hidden).

birka1

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2012, 08:09:19 PM »
@birka1,

You don't have to take our word (you should, but we are not imposing you anything :) ).

It's simple. Log out from the forum. Return to some post of yours, but still without logging in. You won't see your posts "as you", so this is the same as anyone else sees it. Your email should not be there in such situation (since you already set it to be hidden).

I did as you suggested, and logged out and it's not there. Sorry if I somehow offended anyone by saying I take your word/or trusted you, but I do as you are the people that know Avast the best, and how everything works on this forum. I have not had many problems with Avast at all, so it's been some time since I posted before yesterday and today, and some features may have changed that I'm not now familiar with.   Have always gotten fast replies, and excellent advise. :)

ady4um

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 09:17:42 PM »
NP :). I don't think you offended anyone here. We are just answering to your question. My suggestion had the goal for you to check the results by yourself and nothing else.

For more questions about how the forum works, you have the relevant help at the upper bar (Home - Help - Search...). For more help about avast, besides this forum, you also have the support section of the website, with many knowledgebase articles available (which in many cases will answer your doubts, instead of having to post here and wait for an answer), and the built in help in the program itself.