Author Topic: uk.search-results.com Virus  (Read 9426 times)

Taz1

uk.search-results.com Virus
« on: February 04, 2012, 02:45:38 PM »
A while ago I downloaded a piece of software to try it out and since then all my search engines for google and firefox now default to "_http://uk.search-results.com". All my attempts to get it back to google failed (except for the search box, which I don't use, but can't change it in the URL bar where I type my searches).  Avast never picked up this virus. Anybody any idea why it didn't pick it up and what to do to get rid of this virus?

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
Re: uk.search-results.com Virus
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 06:17:05 PM »
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."

Taz1

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 04:47:56 PM »
No, I never installed it but I think it might have come with some software I installed from the internet. I needed to unzip a file and downloaded various zip utils to try out. I suspect it might have come with JZipV1 but I can't be sure.

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2012, 05:32:39 PM »
No, I never installed it but I think it might have come with some software I installed from the internet. I needed to unzip a file and downloaded various zip utils to try out. I suspect it might have come with JZipV1 but I can't be sure.

There are many alternatives including WinRAR and 7Zip.

Also, see this about JZip:
http://www.techsupportforum.com/forums/f131/help-firefox-homepage-hijacked-by-jzip-561379.html

Taz1

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2012, 06:53:43 PM »
Thanks, this gave me an idea where to look.  I finally managed to fix my Firefox browser. There are a few steps I didn't see mentioned. On the config screen (about:config) there are two more entries that need to be reset apart from browser.search.defaultenginename. When making a search I found the following entries:

Code: [Select]
keyword.URL;http://dts.search-results.com/sr?src=ffb&appid=0&systemid=102&sr=0&q=
Code: [Select]
extensions.wrc.SearchRules.rambler.ru.style;.WRCN {display:none} .search-results .title + .WRCN {display:inline !important; background: url("IMAGE") right no-repeat}

resetting keyword.URL and extensions.wrc.SearchRules.rambler.ru.style fixed my problem.

Strange, though, going back into about:config after having reset those two, I can't find the second entry (extensions.wrc.SearchRules.rambler.ru.style) at all anymore, only
extensions.wrc.SearchRules.rambler.ru.URL

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2012, 07:05:45 PM »
I can't find the second entry (extensions.wrc.SearchRules.rambler.ru.style) at all anymore

It's good that it's gone, as a search at Google reveals it to be potentially malicious.

Are you experiencing any more problems?

Taz1

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 12:04:13 AM »
Are you experiencing any more problems?

So far everything seems back to normal. System is still a bit sluggish, though, but might be just the internet a bit slow today. I did a full virus scan which passed fine except that it came across one password protected archive it couldn't scan, "install_flashplayer11x64_mssd_aih.exe" which surprised me a bit, but might be nothing. 

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 12:14:08 AM »
it came across one password protected archive it couldn't scan, "install_flashplayer11x64_mssd_aih.exe" which surprised me a bit, but might be nothing. 
Files that can't be scanned are just that. In this case, the file was password protected, meaning that a password is required to access the file.

Regarding the name of it, it appears to be a legit file that is password protected for commercial reasons, so nothing to worry about. ;)