Author Topic: Some files cannot be scanned  (Read 2507 times)

villandra

Some files cannot be scanned
« on: February 04, 2012, 02:46:37 PM »
I know that some programs legitimately password protect their files, but that doesn't tell me which ones are legitmate.

I was getting "some files cannot be scanned" on my java installer file, and my recycle bin.  I deleted the former and emptied the latter. 

Then I reran the scan.   Now I get something completely different.   The System Volume folder on my C drive cannot be scanned; or, rather, the sub-files in it can't.   I don't believe I had that before, just java and the recycle bin. 

I think the system volume file was created by Windows and it needs it.  It was created at the same time as I installed Windows two weeks ago.

Dora

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Some files cannot be scanned
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 03:04:53 PM »
Because you deleted or moved something, system restore in its infinite wisdom has saved a copy in to the system volume information folder.

JAVA has taken to password protecting its updates.

Generally I don't waste too much time worrying about system restore and this is my advice relating to it, you can of course choose to ignore that.

- Infected/Suspect Restore Points:
There really is little benefit in chasing a detection in the system volume information folder. It is only there because it had previously been deleted or moved from the system folders and this is a back-up created by system restore.
- Worst case scenario it isn't infected/suspect and you delete it, you can't use that restore point in the future, not much of a loss and the older the restore point is the less of an issue it is.

- So if there is any suspicion about a restore point then it is best removed from the system volume information folder or it could bite you in the rear at some point in the future when you use system restore if it included that restore point.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline jadinolf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
Re: Some files cannot be scanned
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2012, 01:35:15 AM »
This is all new to me with Version 6.x.

I remember seeing the message after every scan on avast! 4.x but not on later versions.

I guess it's not a problem.
printed on 100% recycled bytes