Author Topic: Avast having an unfortunate impact on file opening and web page loading (Win7)  (Read 3044 times)

OverHaze

This sort of snuck up one me so its hard to say when exactly it started but Avast has started having a real impact on the time it takes to open files and load webpages. Its particularly noticeable when loading fraps, it can be a good 10 seconds after clicking the icon before the administrator prompt turns up.

For the sake of experimentation I've uninstalled Avast for the moment and installed MSE (because of its small footprint and easy uninstall) and my computer is once again as snappy as it should be. Its great how Avast have been improving lately but you really shouldn't lose sight of the fact that one of Avasts biggest attractions is its speed.

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
hey avast have a lower impact on your system then MSE does. what version of avast are you using?
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

OverHaze

The very latest. I can tell you this is a definite issue (for me) and I'm running a very clean system. The thought that this might be a conflict has entered into my mind but I can't think what Avast might be conflicting with.

OverHaze

I note in the latest results from av-test.org Avast has gone from 10 to 13 in average slow-down on Windows 7.

smithson

Got this issue too on Win 7. It's come up before quite a while ago as a result of a buggy update and it was fixed quite quickly in a successive update. Huge lags opening things and using the internet caused by some bug. It stops if I turn off the file shield. It started in the last week or two.

OverHaze

Yep seems to happen on first access after a reboot or definition update, possibly related to filerep? Basically at the moment the impact is too big for Avast to be usable. Also the damage it did to my steam install today isn't helping my frustration.

Now I need to figure out what AV to use until this is all sorted. MSE? AVG? Perhaps Comodo? Avira is good but I install nothing with popup ads.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 05:42:17 PM by OverHaze »