Author Topic: How to Properly Setup Avast and Thunderbird Together  (Read 19116 times)

sandeep108

Re: How to Properly Setup Avast and Thunderbird Together
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2011, 07:11:06 AM »
I have been using TB and avast! since several years with different mail providers and till now have never faced any issue. They act very nicely together and avast! is able to take care of whatever mail settings I setup in TB.

In fact TB will not allow loading of any remote content, so together with avast!, I feel quite safe. Also in the event that 1 e-mail does have a problem, avast! can delete that specific e-mail without deleting the whole e-mail folder which is what AVG seems to do.

Offline Pholover

« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 02:20:41 AM »
Yes I'm using SP3, and will look at some threads for firewall options.

Offline Pholover

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 03:09:34 AM »
Thanks for your input.  Do you change your email passwords regularly?

I have been using TB and avast! since several years with different mail providers and till now have never faced any issue. They act very nicely together and avast! is able to take care of whatever mail settings I setup in TB.

In fact TB will not allow loading of any remote content, so together with avast!, I feel quite safe. Also in the event that 1 e-mail does have a problem, avast! can delete that specific e-mail without deleting the whole e-mail folder which is what AVG seems to do.

sandeep108

« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 01:43:26 PM »
No  :-[ I probably change PCs more frequently. But why would that have anything to do with TB/avast!?

Offline Pholover

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2011, 12:45:54 AM »
Just seeing if there is any correlation between Avast and TB in having some comprimising
issue with emails as I had two of my email addresses hijacked.  Though they were weak
passwords and used in many places, which I think is the main reason of the hijack.

No  :-[ I probably change PCs more frequently. But why would that have anything to do with TB/avast!?

mantra

« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2011, 06:59:07 AM »
nice
it should be pinned

does avast 6 support tunderbird 6 100%?

thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2011, 01:52:52 PM »
If it didn't you would see it writ large all over the forum.

So the answer is yes, whatever 100% means.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Dch48

« Reply #22 on: July 30, 2011, 07:52:02 PM »
It was from a website and I do intend to start another thread on that topic to improve the product and safety for myself and everyone else.

Can you suggest a good firewall?
I would suggest PC Tools Firewall Plus. It's very user friendly and intelligent in it's default state but expert users can set their own rules for specific ports and other things. It also contains a moderate form of HIPS protection called ESP and you can choose to have it all, some of it , or just a 2 way firewall that only monitors connections to and from the net. I have tried the others and they all caused problems for me on XP SP3. Your mileage may differ, of course  ;D
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 07:53:49 PM by Dch48 »

mantra

« Reply #23 on: August 07, 2011, 11:14:15 AM »
Welcome Pholover; I like it too.  ;D
Mail in Avast! is actually pretty straightforward for most systems.
  ::)
i use thunderbird but i have more then 1 account

1) pop3 port 995 ssl/tls
   smtp port 465 ssl/tls

2) imap port 993 ssl/tls
   smtp port 465 ssl/tls

how can i configure it?

deyani

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2012, 08:20:23 PM »
I have Thunderbird and Avast installed, and i cannot send attach like .docx (Few words in doc.) to anyone, because avast is bloking it, and its not virus and when i disable smtp scaning it sends just fine. Emm.... WHY?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2012, 08:25:03 PM »
*****REMOVED*****
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 09:21:47 PM by Pondus »