Author Topic: [POSSIBLY SOLVED] Avast & Mystery Red Ball issue - kills the tray icon  (Read 9517 times)

castalla

Re: [SOLVED] Avast & Mystery Red Ball issue - kills the tray icon
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2012, 11:04:02 AM »
I solved this by running the software removal too in safe mode and THEN manually deleting every reference to avast in the registry.

castalla

Re: [UNSOLVED] Avast & Mystery Red Ball issue - kills the tray icon
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2012, 01:19:50 PM »
Damn & Blast!!!

The RED BALL is back again - I tried to open the gui from the tray icon - then got a firewall request for avast, accompanied by the sudden appearance of the red icon.

This is absolutely maddening.

true indian

« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2012, 02:52:01 PM »
Reading this topic i have some questions:

Does that red axe go away when u hover your cursor on it currently?

If thats so...thats a UI glitch and i think i have some clients over here at india u have reported similar issues. :)

« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 02:58:03 PM by true indian »

castalla

« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2012, 02:56:49 PM »
Yes ... the red icon disappears immediately I hover over it.  Then within a minute or so the avast icon also disappears.

true indian

« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2012, 02:58:10 PM »
I feel thats a UI glitch....do u see secured in the UI at that point when the tray icon is red?

Or u see in the summary tab of UI that some shield is disabled even if it is enabled?
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 03:07:53 PM by true indian »

castalla

« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2012, 03:02:17 PM »
Did that earlier today - also remove all refs to avast in registry.  Reinstalled - all fine until I got a firewall message about avast - then, bam! red ball returned!   Back to where I was yesterday ...

castalla

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2012, 03:28:08 PM »
Everything appears as normal ... other than the avast icon disappears after a minute or so when I open the gui interface.

I'm going to wipe the install, edit the registry again, & reinstall.

I've run alternative virus scanners and there are no suspicious files or rootkits.

I wish somebody from Avast would chip in here.

ady4um

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2012, 03:40:08 PM »
Removal utility for avast, in Windows Safe Mode : http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility.

In addition, have you checked which settings you have in the tray icons cache?

castalla

« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2012, 04:18:11 PM »
Removal utility for avast, in Windows Safe Mode : http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility.

In addition, have you checked which settings you have in the tray icons cache?

safe mode - yes.

how do I check the icon cache?

ady4um

« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2012, 04:40:47 PM »
how do I check the icon cache?

I don't remember the exact method on windows Seven, but essentially you need to check the properties of the task bar -> notification area -> customize -> Avast -> show (behaviour).

Alternatively , there are a couple of registry keys, but I need to double check them (so probably I won't post them, but this might change according to your feedback and my own time). There are alternative GUI tools to do the same.

Start with the above "instructions" to see if the tray icon is hidding "itself" (well, Windows does it). Or "show" (unhidden) all tray icons in the notification area properties.

All this may be useful only if:
_ the display drivers are working correctly and updated; and
_ the screen resolution (and number of colors) is "supported" by the avast tray icon; and
_ other tools are not conflicting with avast (whether it is DSBridge, sound drivers with tray icons, remnants of other antivirus tools, theme tools or "docking" tools, or...).

Just to mention a strange example, there was a case in this forum where a certain Windows font was causing GUI problems in avast. Once the specific font was deleted, avast GUI return to normal. So there are many things to double check for conflicts.

castalla

« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2012, 04:49:21 PM »
I found a batch file which clears the icon cache.

I've reinstalled avast (again).  This time I knocked out the dsbridge links in the flash folder.  So far so good ... at some point (if it doesn't fall over again) I'll reactivate dsbridge - and wait for the 'conflict' to reappear!   

castalla

« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2012, 09:00:44 PM »
Looking good ...

I re-enabled dsbridge in my Spotify folder only - previously the files were also located in the Flash folder (as recommended by the dsbridge developer). 

No bad effects on Avast so far.