Author Topic: Cant find a way to Register :'(  (Read 9074 times)

seekingTruth

Cant find a way to Register :'(
« on: February 05, 2012, 11:36:04 PM »
Hiya everyone,
ive installed Avast Free AntiVirus 6.0 on 3 different PC's and get the same results.

When i go to online to register it replies with an error, cant find file.
When i try to insert the code i got from the email, it says invalid code.

Im running XP pro SP3.

Any replies greatly appreciated,
seek

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Cant find a way to Register :'(
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2012, 11:51:04 PM »
Have you not tried registering directly from the avastUI, that way you don't have to A) wait for an email and B) manually input the key ?

See https://support.avast.com/index.php?languageid=1&group=eng&_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=612.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

seekingTruth

« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2012, 12:15:07 AM »
Hiya DavidR,
Thanks for replying, i have done all that, the first part 3 times on 3 different PC all with the same result, when i hit the last button for online register i get the error, cant find file.

If i try to use the emailed code, as in part 2, and i get the error, not a valid code.

I really want to trial Avast but just cant get it to work  :-\

seek

Offline DJBone

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2012, 12:31:51 AM »
Do you really have installed avast Free? Or have you possibly installed the Pro-Version or Internet Security? Just a guess.

DJBone
Win10 x64, APS (always latest version)
Avast Mobile Security (always latest version)

seekingTruth

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2012, 12:35:44 AM »
Hiya DJBone,
i thought the same and downloaded a fresh copy and used that, but its the same file size etc ive been using. I dont think its that,

Thanks for the reply,
seek.

ady4um

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2012, 01:23:32 AM »
Go to avast main GUI -> maintenance -> about avast. At the upper area you will see which exact product you installed. It should say "Avast Free antivirus". If it says something about "trial", or "pro" or "Internet Security" (AIS), then you installed the wrong product, and it won't accept the same code.

seekingTruth

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2012, 01:55:39 AM »
Hiya ady4um,
i did as you suggested and it said,
!Avast Free Antivirus
Program version: 6.0.0
etc

Thanks for your reply,
seek.

claprood

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2012, 03:08:48 AM »
try turning off your firewall and seeing if you can register..If you are just using xp firewall it;s in control panel...If that works then you will need to set avast as a trusted program...hope that helps

ady4um

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2012, 03:50:57 AM »
avast! 6.x: Inserting the license key into avast! Free Antivirus
http://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=612&nav=0,2,42

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2012, 04:00:45 AM »
Already suggested in Reply #1, but the OP has tried both methods, but still failing.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ady4um

« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2012, 05:19:50 AM »
So, reinstalling didn't work and both usual methods didn't work either?

We need screenshots attached to see what you are seeing (instead of descriptions). In your next post, use the "Additional Options" link (to the left of "post") to attach a screenshot of the window where you are trying to add the license for Avast Free.

seekingTruth

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2012, 07:08:50 AM »
Hiya everyone,
Since my last post i have tried again with no firewall, no go.
i have tried reinstalling which worked ok but still no go.

as asked i have provided these screenshots.

Thanks for all your help,
seek.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 07:29:42 AM by seekingTruth »

ady4um

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2012, 10:22:05 AM »
Something is not "correct" in those screenshots.

In your screen (avast main GUI -> maintenance -> registration) you need to go to the first "REGISTER NOW". Then you fill in the form. (Please do not confuse it with the last "registration form" button).

With the "REGISTER NOW" button, a form "should" open. If you see an option to upgrade to AIS, don't use it (as you want the Free edition). In such case you click ONLY on "REGISTER" (grey button) so to continue with avast Free and avoid AIS.

In the form, you need to fill in all the info, specially the name and the email info.

Then you click on "register for Free license". By this method, there is no code sent to you. It is automatically inserted. There is no file sent either.

If anything that I just described is not what you see, then please indicate EXACTLY on with step you see a difference and attach a screenshot of the exact step you see (instead of the one described here).

seekingTruth

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2012, 10:31:45 AM »
Hiya ady4um,
I did start with the "REGISTER NOW" button, if you notice the form in the first pic is from clicking the  "REGISTER NOW" button.

The error message is what is returned when the form is filled out and sent.

Thanks for your reply its greatly appreciated,
seek.

ady4um

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2012, 10:44:05 AM »
As I said, there is no file or code when filling the on line form. So the first screenshot doesn't quite fit the normal behaviour.

The second screenshot also seems to come from the paid editions, not the free one.

If you keep having problems, I would suggest a clean up of you current installation. Uninstall avast Free using "Add/Remove Programs", reboot into Windows Safe Mode so to follow this instructions: http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility.

Then download ANEW avast Free (not the trial) and install it. When the installation process finishes, reboot. After that, let avast update itself and try again the Free on line registration.