Author Topic: Restore from virus chest  (Read 10529 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Restore from virus chest
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2012, 03:59:36 PM »
You're welcome.

Worst case scenario you wouldn't have the adobe helper what ever that does, but presumably the remainder would work, just that you didn't have the helper.

Personally if you only have the reader I would uninstall (rather than wait for it to fail) it and remove a potential security hole in your system and use a different pdf reader, there are many free ones out there.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

konfoozed

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2012, 08:09:27 PM »
If you are unable to find the original folder (not file name) location then there would be no way avast could restore it as it isn't able to create folders to be able to restore the file to it.

I have been trying to find out what the AdobeARMHelper.exe actually is, 'Adobe Reader and Acrobat Manager Helper' now that I'm a little wiser as to what it is. I don't know if this is a dual role helper for Adobe pdf reader and also the Adobe Acrobat PDF creator ( a different beast to just the reader).

If you only have the adobe pdf reader then - Personally I would be considering the complete uninstall of adobe pdf reader as it is like a Swiss cheese when it comes to security issues. It is a huge target for malware as it still has a very large user base, which makes it attractive to the malware writers. I gave up on it many years ago when it really became a bloated beast and was very common to find exploits reported on a very regular basis.

There are many other light pdf readers out there, which are so bloated when all you want is a simple pdf reader, I currently use PDF-XChange PDF Reader.

If you have the full adobe acrobat pdf creator then you may have to reinstall it to get this file back where it should be. You would also only want to do this if avast no longer detects the AdobeARMHelper.exe as infected (or it would alert again when you try to reinstall.

####
Weird I have never heard that having dual boot disables system restore.
Just to let you know that I have done my research and followed your lead......PDF-XChange in and Adobe Reader out together with the Adobearmhelper entries in the virus chest. Thank you.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2012, 08:13:59 PM »
You're welcome.

I find PDF-XChange more than capable of meeting my pdf reader needs, hopefully it will be the same for you.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security