Author Topic: Avast! Safe Zone - Not working as expected  (Read 4098 times)

Offline DraKuL

Avast! Safe Zone - Not working as expected
« on: February 06, 2012, 06:38:09 PM »
Hi everyone!

Have a small question regarding the safe zone feature of Avast! First of all I want to tell everyone that I've been using AIS for over 2 years and I love it!!

Anyway to my understanding, safe zone opens up a virtual desktop and even if the computer is highly infected with viruses/spyware/keyloggers the user's online transactions (passwords etc) should not be leaked. This is the purpose of SZ, isnt it ?

But a friend of mine showed me how sniffers could still get the passwords and other user credentials even if the user is using safezone. Hope there will be improvements to this in the next release of Avast! and that it will give maximum protection.

Cheers!
ASUS ROG Mobo - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X| RAM 32.00GB | 4TB HDD +1TB SSD | ATI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit |Avast One Individual | MBAM PRO - RealTime | SUPERAntiSpyware PRO |CC Cleaner | Chrome | Firefox |(The Latest Release of all the Software)

mcv.-

Re: Avast! Safe Zone - Not working as expected
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 01:43:55 PM »
>:( ... with "Avast" moderators!)
Hello...
I guess you got no answer to your query!
It worries me, I thought "Safe zone" should be SAFE; compared by "Avast" with a "sand box" but by what you are saying it must be a children's playing "sand box"!
Something is telling me that your friend is right (the Romanians are good at "software")!
I hope some one at "Avast" will be posting some sort of "Info"... until then "Avast-cionados"... keep your eyes open and fingers crossed!
Good luck and THANKS for your posting "DraKul"!

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 01:47:20 PM »
mcv, yes I was a bit disappointed about them not replying/looking into the query. However I have not tested out the new safezone - in version 7. They might have fixed the issue.
ASUS ROG Mobo - AMD Ryzen 7 3700X| RAM 32.00GB | 4TB HDD +1TB SSD | ATI Radeon RX 5700 XT 8GB
Windows 10 Pro 64bit |Avast One Individual | MBAM PRO - RealTime | SUPERAntiSpyware PRO |CC Cleaner | Chrome | Firefox |(The Latest Release of all the Software)

mcv.-

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 01:52:49 PM »
... don't have much time with my machine (weekend only!), but I will check-it my self!
Thanks for warning us!
m.-

Offline DraKuL

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 01:56:11 PM »
no worries! however I should tell that it didnt work for HTTPS sites, but even without safezone https is secure enough to protect the user's data from the software he used to test it. (hes a penetration tester)

mcv.-

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 02:03:28 PM »
We're (all!) assuming that once you pass "HTTPS" you are safe... But then again, YOU ARE ON YOUR OWN! (the banks are making the statement that loosing money on their web site... with your fault - implies that there ARE breaches on bank's secure webs)...
And from the "Horse's mouth" the banks are loosing milions every quarter (and keep-it quiet!)...