Author Topic: Avast delaying boot in Windows 7 64bit sp1  (Read 19344 times)

mokkaman

Avast delaying boot in Windows 7 64bit sp1
« on: February 07, 2012, 02:14:04 AM »
Hi all,  I already have avast on my desktop with win xp and it runs fine. I bought a new  laptop recently with win7 sp1 x64 and installed avast in it. But while booting windows , after logging in with username and password, it takes upto 2 minutes to load desktop. I checked with a program called soluto and it confirmed avast delays boot by 30 sec. I gave option "Load avast services only after other system services" but still same slow boot. Any ideas why this option doesnt work in win 7 x64 but works well in my win xp ?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Avast delaying boot in Windows 7 64bit sp1
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 03:55:23 AM »
It isn't a case of the "Load avast services only after other system services" not working, but knowing what kind of effect you are likely to get. At best I would say you are likely to get a difference of a second or less, as avast is only waiting for other windows services to load before it does.

This is s troubleshooting option only and would normally be used when avast has problems starting because a service that it requires hasn't loaded.

I also can't understand how a supposed 30 delay then equates to a 2 minute for your system to load, that can't all be down to avast.

You ,mention nothing about the system spec, CPU, RAM, etc. of your laptop, nor do you mention

XP uses much less RAM than win7, so that would be a factor, I have a win7 netbook and that loads very quickly considering the spec - Acer Aspire One, Win7 Starter (32bit), 2GB DDR3 RAM, Intel Atom N255 (1.5GHz dual core) CPU.

But I'm strict about what I allow to run on boot, so that is an area you need to look at. Many applications want to start on boot when there really is no need, media players are typical of this and are only needed when a media file is run (and that opens it anyway).

New laptops generally come with a lot of pre-installed cr4p and often an anti-virus, that has to be uninstalled ?
There is a possibly that additional removal tools to ensure it is completely gone, or there may be conflicts.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

ahwphx

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 05:14:29 PM »
Had the same problem of excessive disk activity during boot-up on a win 7 x64 desktop.
By selecting the option to load Avast after loading other system services my boot time (time to get to logon screen) decreased from 40 seconds to 15 seconds.

Interestingly enough the change made no difference on a win 7 x64 laptop but that machine did not have excessive disk activity.

Saulius

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 05:33:22 PM »
Surprising, but as DavidR has said consider the hardware specs of the Laptop and check to reduce what else is running at start up and prevent non-essentials which are usually pre-installed on new Laptops, but importantly be sure to have completely removed the previous AV.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 08:47:42 PM »
Are you using the latest beta 3 version?
Some issues seems to have been addressed.
The best things in life are free.

DonZ63

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 10:15:20 PM »
Use WIN 7 diagnostics to determine what processes are slowing your boot.

Go to Control Panel ! System and Security ! Action Center ! view performance info. ! Advanced Tools ! View peformance details in Event Log  then search for boot performance entries. These will pinpoint what tasks are slowing down your boot.

ahwphx

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 11:16:25 PM »
Avast was causing the delayed boot.....I repaired my Avast installation via the control panel and now the boot is normal without delaying Avast. I had no error messages from Avast, just excessive disk activity.

mokkaman

« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2012, 03:25:33 AM »
Sorry for delayed reply.. My config is core i7-2670qm with 8gb ram. avast occupies 30 seconds of boot time. Soluto as well as DonZ63's method shows that avast is performance degrader !! view attached screenshots!

mokkaman

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2012, 03:35:19 AM »
Hi david,
I have removed all startups and even the cr4p, antivirus which came with the laptop(im not new to these optimisations, have been doing them for years). Now i have only avast and touchpad,wifi drivers in startup. Avast takes 30secs out of my total boottime of 2min which includes other windows processes other than avast. I have attached my startup list here for reference.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2012, 04:02:30 AM »
Well that degradation is in milliseconds 4013 of them (nowhere near the 30 seconds you mention) and really shouldn't be noticeable.

As I mentioned "Load avast services only after other system services" isn't likely to make a great deal of difference to the boot time unless it is waiting for another service. So I don't know if by using the "Load avast services only after other system services" option would account for the reported degradation or not.

Quote from: DavidR
It isn't a case of the "Load avast services only after other system services" not working, but knowing what kind of effect you are likely to get. At best I would say you are likely to get a difference of a second or less, as avast is only waiting for other windows services to load before it does.

This is s troubleshooting option only and would normally be used when avast has problems starting because a service that it requires hasn't loaded.

I'm at a loss as to what else to suggest.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mokkaman

« Reply #10 on: February 29, 2012, 05:15:21 AM »
Oh fine.. But this soluto software shows avast takes 30 sec. I dont want to believe it but the total time which it shows for boot is exactly the same which i measured using a stopwatch. So i felt it may be true.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: February 29, 2012, 01:45:52 PM »
I have never been a fan of Soluto, as it also introduces its own delay into the process. But as Soluto says, this is an essential element, but from your image, it is actually more than just the boot as by the time the avastUI comes into play the boot is well under way.

You however, are using AIS, with the extra firewall element; if you only had avast Pro/free, the avast percentage/time would be lower as that would also be taken up by a different standalone firewall.

Me since it is essential, I would be looking at the other 68% of the boot duration and absolutely only allow essential applications.

mokkaman

« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 06:39:51 AM »
Thanks David. But my concern is avast is also on the boot of my XP desktop and it boots almost instantly. Only in 64 bit win 7 it takes more time to open. All 64 bit apps are bigger too(compared to their 32bit counterparts). But i'm forced to use 64bit OS to support my 8gb ram !!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 11:34:54 AM »
Well XP is lighter on Resources than Win7 and the 64bit version of win7 is even heaver than win7 32bit, but with a reasonable CPU and RAM that you have shouldn't really be a resource issue.

Khanat

« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 12:18:48 PM »
It is probably because the program has to load all those shields after you logon. You can test it by right clicking the orange Avast icon in the systray and then go to "Avast shields control". Choose to disable all shields permanently and then reboot. You can re-enable them again once the machine boots to the desktop again.

If you don't see any difference, run Win 7 disk cleanup to delete temp files. Type "Disk Cleanup" in the Search field after clicking the Start button and then for the C: drive, checkmark all the boxes. If you see a button "Remove System Files", you might want to use that too to remove SP1 backup files. Doing so means you won't be able to remove SP1 later, but presumably you wouln't want to anyway.