Author Topic: Avast for networking  (Read 8198 times)

Nikita

Avast for networking
« on: August 21, 2003, 03:43:23 PM »
The last ... um ... user ... on my computer installed the Avast for networks.  (We have but one computer.)

Is my computer now accessible, without my knowledge, from far-off mystery locations ?

Waldo

Re:Avast for networking
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2003, 03:48:24 PM »
No, not really, it's not open for "mystery acess" (standard) if you have only 1 computer (even if you have more, it's most of the time safe).

If you have a updated windows with all security patches. (like the one against Win.Blaster)

And if your not infected with some kind of backdoor trojan. But since you have Avast running, changes are small you are.

Btw ; Why use "AVAST server edition" if you have only 1 pc ? makes no sence, i think the Home edition or PRO would suits you better.

Offcourse you could use a firewall, to block access to the outside world. something free and easy like Zone alarm. (www.zonelabs.com)

Waldo
« Last Edit: August 21, 2003, 03:59:47 PM by Waldo »

Nikita

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2003, 09:28:54 PM »
Is it possible for him to access my computer from his current location?

I have gone recently to upgrade my Wndows but found the site extremely difficult to manoeuver around.  I have dial-up access and it is sooooooo slowwwwww.  The language on the site is mostly indecipherable (to me).  After I upgrade each component my system froze, crashed, rebooted itself, etc. and now seems to run slower than before.

I have been without a virus scanner for the last little while.  I have two small children and find it sometimes difficult to access computer time.  I downloaded Avast Home Edition just the other day.  Now I cannot pick up e-mail.  ::)

I'll go check out the firewall.  Thanks for the link.  I don't have the foggiest idea about how to utilize their features, but I guess I'm about to learn, lol.

Waldo

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2003, 09:44:19 PM »
well, so you downloaded home edition. Good. It suits you better than the server edition.

About zone alarm > it's really easy to use.

If a program ask for server rights general aswer will be no.

If a program tries to acces internet (and you know and trust it) > anwser is yes.

If a program fails to work without server rigths > answer is yes

If you keep these simple rules in mind, ZA is configured relative secure.

Everytime a program will ascess internet or ask for server > a pop up dialogue will apear, where you can grant or deny access to the internet. verry easy.

Waldo

Nikita

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2003, 09:57:19 PM »
Wow, neat !!  Just like on the old-time science fiction movies whereby the computer screen would flash on-and-off with a "Warning - Intruder Detected !!".  Used to make me laugh so hard !!  So now it's possible.  Cool.

Waldo

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2003, 10:17:11 PM »
https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2

If you go here, you will see in the middel of the page "Shields Up services",

If you want to test your firewall press :

on "All service ports" and "common ports".

If they both give as result "stealth" or good but no so good "closed"  then your
firewall is configured corretly.

If your full stealth > your invicibel on the internet.

If ports are closed > your in no danger, but not invincibel

if ports are open > No good ! could be backdoor or trojan. or running server.

Good luck and God speed !  ;D

Waldo
« Last Edit: August 22, 2003, 10:18:48 PM by Waldo »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2003, 03:45:54 AM »
I have gone recently to upgrade my Windows but found the site extremely difficult to manoeuver around.  ... After I upgrade each component my system froze, crashed, rebooted itself, etc. and now seems to run slower than before.
Now I cannot pick up e-mail.  ::)

Nikita, see your other posts and the answers to your questions (pick up e-mail). Are you sure you upgraded agains Win.Blaster virus on Windows Update page? The synthoms of crashing and auto rebooting is a bad signal of virus. After you upgraded, try run avast! all over your computer and files...  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Nikita

« Reply #7 on: August 23, 2003, 05:08:45 PM »
I've installed zone alarm and am finding it very interesting learning about it and other security software.  I feel silly for listening to my now "ex-partner" about how useless these things were (to him).  I know a bit about computers and since I was in hiatus with childbearing, etc. I simply assumed he was keeping up-t0-date on the currently important technological developments.  

<I certainly have a lot of catching up to do>  

Although the "upgrade Windows" aspect was fairly easy I didn't understand the other things on the site.  Obviously I'm not ready for that yet.  ps. The site says I don't need protection against Win.Blaster virus since I am running Windows '98 (second edition).  Is this true?  Or should I have something anyway?

I've checked "Shields Up services" and am at "stealth" with my firewall installed.

Guess I was in denial about the accessibility of the computer, maybe because of all the "questionable" sites that he had been haunting, and I didn't want to see the truth.

Before I installed avast! version 4.0 Home Edition I attempted to install and run avast! Virus Cleaner Tool.  My whole computer froze up on "Shared Memory".  I tried three times.  Any advice?  Or should I start a new thread?

I've since run avast! but nothing was detected.  I know I HAD a trojan virus awhile back but don't know if I dealt with it successfully.

If I had the "networking" features enabled, would I be able to access my computer via Wide Area Network?  ie. from the other side of town ....

Nikita

« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2003, 02:08:42 PM »
One More Question:

Does networking have anything to do with logging programs?