Author Topic: avast! 7 public beta  (Read 305324 times)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: avast! 7 public beta
« Reply #495 on: February 21, 2012, 07:29:58 PM »
do you honestly feel the current beta3 build is close to being released

No, thats why I wrote "according to"

I don't care when it's released (but others do), beta 3 is stable here, but I know there is bugs in it, but I have no problem using beta 3, 4...47 or whatever, I'm a happy avast user regardless status of the current version.

But since avast wrote 23 feb on their official fb page, I posted the news...but I will walk back in the corner now and just lurk around the forum!

I know they weren't your words, but avast's, but I feel when you give a deadline like this you are A) putting yourself under pressure to meet that deadline and B) the disappointment when a deadline isn't met.

With the best will in the world and about 36 hours left and bugs still being reported, I take this kind of thing with a giant pinch of salt as early release of something that may still have issues to be resolved is the worst kind of publicity and undoes all of the good that has been done so far in avast7 beta.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

spg SCOTT

« Reply #496 on: February 21, 2012, 07:41:10 PM »
I can see it now... ::)

February 23rd 00:00
"Where is avast final version, you said it will be released today"

ady4um

« Reply #497 on: February 21, 2012, 07:43:19 PM »
Even if the accounts' site would be working, most users won't know what to do if the main GUI is not resolving all this. Moreover, if it is going to be related to the registration (ouch!), many users will be asking many questions (and no current relevant answers are publicly known). This by itself is bad PR, to say the least.

But in addition, many GUI little quirks are not yet resolved (and it seems, not going to be either), with some BSODs reported. As others said, an additional beta test *should* be available.

The installer, and program updates, are still having some issues. The only way to test some potential improvements is to have an additional beta.

KB support articles?

Well, now we are just wasting "posts", as once an official announcement is out, I don't see any of these "logical" comments being of any influence regarding the date. It is going out, with "pros" and "cons".

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #498 on: February 21, 2012, 08:40:53 PM »
Yes it does need to be addressed as you also can't create an account.

Whilst there was no confirmation in the create account from from the UI and the egg timer was still rotating up until I X'd it closed, it does seem that it got through as I received an email, avast! Account - registration confirmation request. So the next step it to try and connect to it from the avastUI.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Dch48

« Reply #499 on: February 21, 2012, 08:58:56 PM »
It works fine Bob . You just need to create the account first by going to the site. Just having Avast doesn't cut it. There does need to be a link to the account page in the GUI however. That's the only thing that's missing IMO. I created my account without a problem at the site.
It doesn't work at all  
You can't sign into your account from the UI and can't establish an account either. Since that's part of the registration process, it has to work.
Once you have created the account, you get signed in automatically at boot up. Like I said, the part missing is the link to the account page since most people wouldn't have a clue how to navigate to it. I also just disconnected and tried to reconnect  both from the GUI and from the settings menu and it just hangs. I'm going to reboot now and see if it connects automatically.

Hermite15

« Reply #500 on: February 21, 2012, 09:01:27 PM »
https://my.avast.com/ ... but yeah, it should definitely appear in the UI.

Dch48

« Reply #501 on: February 21, 2012, 09:12:31 PM »
It works fine Bob . You just need to create the account first by going to the site. Just having Avast doesn't cut it. There does need to be a link to the account page in the GUI however. That's the only thing that's missing IMO. I created my account without a problem at the site.
It doesn't work at all  
You can't sign into your account from the UI and can't establish an account either. Since that's part of the registration process, it has to work.
Once you have created the account, you get signed in automatically at boot up. Like I said, the part missing is the link to the account page since most people wouldn't have a clue how to navigate to it. I also just disconnected and tried to reconnect  both from the GUI and from the settings menu and it just hangs. I'm going to reboot now and see if it connects automatically.
It appears to be messed up from yesterday. I was connected to the account I made at my.avast.com but I disconnected and now it won't reconnect at all. It will from the web page but even if I do that it doesn't show connected in the GUI. It did yesterday so I wonder what happened. This is something they need to fix before release.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #502 on: February 21, 2012, 09:18:15 PM »
I was also connected up until yesterday and have not been able to reconnect. Have a look at the image. It shows Avast! Free Antivirus Registration. I am using Avast Internet Security.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 09:28:43 PM by Charyb »

Dch48

« Reply #503 on: February 21, 2012, 09:24:01 PM »
Yeah it's worse today than it was yesterday. Hopefully that means they're working on it. Usually you have to take stuff apart to fix it  :)

Offline Chuck58

« Reply #504 on: February 21, 2012, 09:54:05 PM »
I just went through a long, unpleasant process with the new AVAST 7 IS. Up front, I'll tell you it probably wasn't AVAST, but not sure. More likely, it's the dummy at the keyboard.

I have Avast internet security 6. Last evening, I downloaded the new beta, out of curiosity, installing over the top of avast 6 is. I don't normally bother with beta programs. No settings were changed. Almost immediately, everything slowed to a crawl. My web browsers, both Google and Firefox 10 took nearly a minute to open and crawled along. I then tried to open other software, Word and a couple of writing programs, even solitaire and experienced the same problem.

My computer is an old refurbished Dell Dimension, Pentium 4 with Win XP pro, sp3, 2G ram.

I rebooted. No change. Rebooted again. No change. Hard booted, and no change. Today, since nothing had changed, I decided to remove 7 using the system restore point it created. It wasn't there. In fact, system restore didn't work at all. It still doesn't work in fact. All I get is a white box.

I went into Add/remove programs, figuring to remove avast that way and reinstall 6 and got some sort of error message that, unfortunately, I didn't copy. In any case, it wouldn't let me uninstall.

Finally, failing everything else, I used Revo uninstall and had to do a forced uninstall, then went through the computer and cleaned out all traces of Avast. I reinstalled 6 and all seems to be back to normal. Computer is running normally again.

As I mentioned, I won't blame avast. But, I changed nothing in avast 7 and downloaded it from the link posted at the beginning of this thread.
Home, vehicle, and person protected by Smith and Wesson.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #505 on: February 21, 2012, 09:58:01 PM »
I would try a clean install of v7 instead of over the top of v6. Personally, I do this with each version change and have had no problems.

You can download the avast! removal tool from here - http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
Just follow the instructions at the site.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 04:48:57 PM by Charyb »

Hermite15

« Reply #506 on: February 21, 2012, 10:04:33 PM »
I would try a clean install of v7 instead of over the top of v6. Personally, I do this with each version change and have had no problems.

+1 on a full version change (5 > 6 > 7), not with intermediary builds though.

ady4um

« Reply #507 on: February 21, 2012, 10:26:17 PM »
As I mentioned, I won't blame avast. But, I changed nothing in avast 7 and downloaded it from the link posted at the beginning of this thread.

The first beta (in this topic) was different than the current, beta3. So you shouldn't be downloading an old beta.

I'm not saying that this was your problem, but it might be.

Offline Gufron

« Reply #508 on: February 22, 2012, 01:41:48 AM »
i found new problem from avast! 7 beta.

when i insert USB with almost 'full of data'. it become to freeze and cant move any action.
but when USB not so full of data it works well.

when i turn off the avast! and insert USB with almost 'ful of data' again. there's no problem like freeze.

i hope in the final it will be repair

rickz

« Reply #509 on: February 22, 2012, 02:49:40 AM »
It's hard to believe that so many people don't understand what a "Beta" stands for and they seem to expect a perfectly operating package.
Sorry for editorializing... but I just had to.
Thanks for all your efforts Avast Team, I'm sure Avast7 will be fine when it's released.