Author Topic: ZIP files are not scanned  (Read 3463 times)

seba

ZIP files are not scanned
« on: November 30, 2004, 04:50:49 PM »
Hello,

version 4.5.542
Windows 2000 SP4

I have a problem with my On-Access Protection Control. I have downloaded the Eicar test files. The Eicar.com virus test file was properly detected, but the Eicar.zip file was not detected by avast. Then I changed my settings (security level) in the Standard Shield to "high". Unfortunately it has no effect. Any ideas?

I have just another technical question regarding the VPS-updates. It's difficult to describe, because my English is not very good. :) I am logged in as a "normal" user without administrator rights. How it is possible that avast is able to update the virus database? I just don't get it. I have installed avast in the programs directory with default W2K user rights. So I can only read the files but I cannot modify the files. Just to clarify: I have no problems with the VPS updates! I am only wondering how a update with restricted user rights is possible? Can anybody explain it?

Thanks
Sebastian

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:ZIP files are not scanned
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 05:41:23 PM »
I have a problem with my On-Access Protection Control. I have downloaded the Eicar test files. The Eicar.com virus test file was properly detected, but the Eicar.zip file was not detected by avast. Then I changed my settings (security level) in the Standard Shield to "high". Unfortunately it has no effect. Any ideas?

Can you test the Internet Mail provider on 'High' to see if it caught the downloaded file?

I have just another technical question regarding the VPS-updates. It's difficult to describe, because my English is not very good. :) I am logged in as a "normal" user without administrator rights. How it is possible that avast is able to update the virus database? I just don't get it. I have installed avast in the programs directory with default W2K user rights. So I can only read the files but I cannot modify the files. Just to clarify: I have no problems with the VPS updates! I am only wondering how a update with restricted user rights is possible? Can anybody explain it?

avast updates through a service (aswUpdSv.exe) that runs logged by the local system account and not like a user.
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Re:ZIP files are not scanned
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 05:44:17 PM »
The archive formats are not detected by default by the Standard Shield (i.e. the files are not "unpacked") - therefore, ZIPped file is not detected either.
In the Professional version of avast!, you can turn on the archive support for the Standard Shield - but I suggest not to. It may have a very bad impact on your system performance (and it is not much needed, in my opinion).