Author Topic: Forum information, recommendations and few rules  (Read 310461 times)

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
Re: Forum informations, recommendations and few rules
« Reply #45 on: November 04, 2013, 12:31:23 PM »
What happened was nothing special, just wanted to parlez with the Buddha image, when a message came up saying that's not possible is all.

You need 20 posts to send a PM.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #46 on: November 04, 2013, 12:36:51 PM »
You're welcome.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #47 on: December 11, 2013, 11:02:50 PM »
Has the size-limit on profile sigs been recently sharply reduced, and did I miss an announcement of that?  Just having updated my Firefox to 26.0 (which actually reduced my sig length by 2 characters), when I clicked on "change profile" I got an error message saying the sig couldn't exceed three lines, so I had to remove my "My name is Any Key ..." thing to continue.

My old sig was five lines, and I thought the limit was 6 - ?

Thanks and best,
Mike
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent

Offline merckxist

Re: Forum information
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2014, 01:24:36 AM »
While I can understand the need/desire to keep some functions away from people who have only recently joined, the 20 post minimum before a new forumite can edit his profile/signature doesn't seem to 'newby friendly', and as Chris already stated, can 'encourage' users to make useless posts just to get to certain benchmarks/tags.

Correct BUT it goes a long way to preventing spam links in signatures being seeded and most admins are faced with the stark choice of spam annoying their members and also using up bandwidth or prevention and some people being upset. Manually vetting new posters on a forum this busy is just not feasible.

Could the profiles be enhanced to include a hw/sw section that did not allow links? It seems to be a common practice for members to list the hw/sw they use (I'm guessing its in the signature) which is a frequently asked question when us newbies post a request for help. I wouldn't expect that links would be needed in a section dedicated to the hw/sw environment that could be relevant to solving a problem. Might save a question/answer round or two in the replies.

Valinorum

Re: Forum information, recommendations and few rules
« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2014, 12:47:13 PM »
Some options and functions are allowed only after 20 posts on the forum.
Do this include viewing others' profile and signature or am I doing something wrong? :-\

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2014, 01:05:17 PM »
Some options and functions are allowed only after 20 posts on the forum.
Do this include viewing others' profile and signature...

Yes for the profiles, you should be able to see their sigs, though.

Offline Avast Eagle

« Reply #51 on: December 29, 2014, 09:15:32 PM »
Hi DavidR been a while since i posted in the forums,
that RequestPolicy you have on your Sig sounds another nice extra for Firefox that i didn't hear before
does it work well together with NoScript+Addblockplus?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 09:18:12 PM by Ichise »

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #52 on: December 29, 2014, 09:37:58 PM »
NoScript and RequestPolicy in firefox are belonging together like the two faces of old Janus.
The twin-extention security you cannot do without  ;D and DavidR can assure I am right here.
Together with ABP and avast Online they could be "Swiatowid" security (four faced watching S-E-N-W)

polonus
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 09:40:44 PM by polonus »
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Avast Eagle

« Reply #53 on: December 29, 2014, 11:00:40 PM »
Been testing it and works great, one more good extra for firefox xD
thanks again DavidR for sharing this info on your Sig.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 11:04:28 PM by Ichise »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #54 on: December 29, 2014, 11:22:08 PM »
Hi DavidR been a while since i posted in the forums,
that RequestPolicy you have on your Sig sounds another nice extra for Firefox that i didn't hear before
does it work well together with NoScript+Addblockplus?

All three of them work just fine together - the only issue some have (not me) with RequestPolicy (RP) is it is some what more high maintenance. This is because many sites now have a huge number of third party sites that they access and automatically this access with RP, that access is blocked.

You have to allow access to sites (not to all) displayed - but over time this doesn't become too much hassle as you get a very good idea what 3rd party sites to allow or some of the images and layout might be missing/disorganised.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline gvb73

« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2015, 04:11:05 PM »
Hello,

I changed provider so I want to modify my e-mail address in my profile but apparently the editing is disabled.

Can this be enabled please?

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2015, 04:23:21 PM »
Hello,

I changed provider so I want to modify my e-mail address in my profile but apparently the editing is disabled.

Can this be enabled please?

This really should be in the my.avast.com sub-forum https://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=62.0

Your email address is tied to your my.avast.com account, logging on there will allow you to add a new email address to the Manage Emails part of the settings. This will need to be validated, once validated you can then set it as the default, which will then have changed in the forum profile settings.

If you need any further assistance, please create a new topic in the my.avast.com forum link above.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

REDACTED

« Reply #57 on: October 03, 2015, 11:08:47 PM »
I have a question, since I'm new here. The username from the profile is public or not? Because it shouldn't be (for data privacy), but I'm not sure since when I click on somebody's profile I get a "You are not allowed to access this section" error. I don't know if I can't see profiles because I'm new, or nobody can see them.

The IP and more are also shown for me, but not for anybody else. I'm wondering if I'm the only one who can see them. Thanks!

LE: Why after posting we are redirected to the area where we posted, and we are not still on that specific topic? :)
« Last Edit: October 03, 2015, 11:10:29 PM by d4m4g3 »

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #58 on: October 03, 2015, 11:17:45 PM »
I have a question, since I'm new here. The username from the profile is public or not? Because it shouldn't be (for data privacy), but I'm not sure since when I click on somebody's profile I get a "You are not allowed to access this section" error. I don't know if I can't see profiles because I'm new, or nobody can see them.

The IP and more are also shown for me, but not for anybody else. I'm wondering if I'm the only one who can see them. Thanks!

LE: Why after posting we are redirected to the area where we posted, and we are not still on that specific topic? :)
You see your IP and the Mods can but the average user doesn't have access to that information.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #59 on: October 04, 2015, 01:15:40 AM »
<snip>

What you see in your posts is the Display name, not the user name (so it isn't public), only users who are logged in can view a very restricted sub-set of your profile information.

Because you are also very new, you have restrictions on what you can view, even in your own profile until you are no longer a newbie.