Author Topic: Cant find a way to Register :'(  (Read 9071 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Cant find a way to Register :'(
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2012, 05:26:05 PM »
NEVER install more then one AV. Running multiple av can/will create all kind of windows errors and false positive detections
This is not true anymore :)
avast can be installed as a second opinion (compatible mode).
But, really, who will like to have avast only as second? ;)
The best things in life are free.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2012, 05:39:52 PM »
In general terms it is still correct, but there exceptions, unless the AV is specifically designed to maintain compatibility (now like avast7).

Though if you have avast why would you want another AV ;D
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

seekingTruth

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2012, 06:43:21 PM »
Hiya all,
I read the forum, it has some related stuff but most of it isn't true.
You can have 2 AV's side by side working quiet happily.
Its sad that certain AV's aren't compatible with each other which you find out quickly, such as with Avast, but now i know how i have Avast , AVG & PC Tools AV all running at the same time, all doing their thing they do differently, with no crashes or errors.
Its a tad slower but that's to be expected, and i can live with it till i get rid off all the infections.

Who would profit from everyone thinking you can run ONLY ONE AV?  :P
« Last Edit: February 10, 2012, 06:49:25 PM by seekingTruth »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2012, 07:00:12 PM »
You can have 2 AV's side by side working quiet happily.
Go ahead, sooner or later, issues and troubles. You've been warned...
When any of them fight for the file the other could be blocked. If both try to get the file, the infection could pass.
Two antivirus would be ever worse than a good one.
The best things in life are free.

ady4um

« Reply #34 on: February 11, 2012, 12:10:44 AM »
I have to say, I "feel" I have been wasting my time. Not that it matters much whatever I feel or if my time was wasted.

We are giving suggestions, and only after 20 something posts we now get to know that there are more than 1 RESIDENT antivirus working?

Well, you can have them all, but the protection and detection of malware won't be better, but worse. Your system may not crash, but the effectivity of the only relevant goal to have a resident antivirus is reduced to almost nothing.

I'm going to stop wasting my time now. Have a nice adventure with those mixed resident security tools.

seekingTruth

« Reply #35 on: February 11, 2012, 04:42:02 AM »
Hiya ady4um and all,
At the start with my main PC i had already removed the existing AV from the system, i was told about remnants causing trouble towards the end of the discussion. AT the beginning AVG had been removed, but after getting away from the merry go round at the beginning and being pointed to a remnant as a possible problem i looked again and found it in the files system so i assume it was still in the registry as well so i did a clean up of AVG and suddenly Avast worked, ty :D

What i do find interesting is, since this started ive downloaded and tested several AV's. If i load Avast, Comodo, PCTools, Avira, Bitdefender etc, none of them complain or warn about another AV being on the PC, the only one that does a pre-load test is AVG.

So for me it was frustrating going round n round at the start of the discussion, but at the end we finally identified the problem and the solution, again i thank you for your time and effort.
seek.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2012, 05:39:31 AM »
 seekingTruth, what the others have mentioned about running multiple av's is all to true so im glad that you have finally solved your problem, if you are wanting some extra security to run alongside of avast then malwarebytes is highly recommended.