Author Topic: getting rid of powersearch toolbar  (Read 16662 times)

Swindmill

Re:getting rid of powersearch toolbar
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2004, 03:14:08 AM »
How do I run spybot at boot time?  avast has the options in the menu, but I cannot find it in spybot

inthewildteam

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2004, 04:18:26 AM »
Further to Technical,

if you are using M.E. or XP disable system restore, delete your (I.E) browser cache and any "tmp" files reboot into safe mode and do a full scan including archives.  Reboot again and follow the malware removal links.

Yes it will take some time, better to be safe than sorry!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2004, 06:10:29 PM »
How do I run spybot at boot time?  avast has the options in the menu, but I cannot find it in spybot

Into its settings, the configuration of automation on 'startup', it's in the middle of the others settings.
The best things in life are free.

lee16

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2004, 07:39:18 PM »
Swindmill

Also if this entry is still there it can be removed (below)
O2 - BHO: DriveLetterAccess - {5CA3D70E-1895-11CF-8E15-001234567890} - C:\WINDOWS\system32\dla\tfswshx.dll

But i am mostly worried about 'C:\WINDOWS\system32\ssisvr32.exe' , see why below (quoted from a website).

Process File: service.exe  

'Process File: service.exe
Process Name: Worm.Win32.Raleka virus.  

Description: service.exe is a process which is registered as the Worm.Win32.Raleka virus. This Trojan allows attackers to access your computer, stealing passwords and personal data. It is a registered security risk and should be removed immediately. Please see additional details regarding this process

Author: na
Part of: Worm.Win32.Raleka virus

System Process: No
Application: No
Background Process: Yes
Uses Network: Yes
Uses Internet: No
Hardware Related: No

Virus: Yes  
Trojan: No
Spyware: No
Security Risk (0-5):  4 '

Mabey a thorough scan with scan inside archives with avast will detect this, also make sure avast it up-to-date before you start the scan.

If avast does not detect it please send the file in a passworded file to virus@avast.com, includ the password to open the file and a short description in the email.

--lee

Swindmill

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2004, 09:23:17 PM »
I did a thorough scan including archived files and it didn't come up with anything.   I can send the file mentioned in the above post, but I'm not sure what a password protected file is, or how to make one.  If someone can give me a short how-to, I'll send it.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #20 on: December 02, 2004, 12:12:35 AM »
If you have WinZip (free trial available), create zip file of the file you want to send. You can then password protect that archive (zip file). Options > Password... once you select that you get the window to enter a password, see image below.

Many other zip programs are also capable of password protecting an archive, you will need to check the help file with  your zip program of choice.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2004, 06:04:02 PM »
You can use 7zip: www.7-zip.org
More effective (higher compression rates, freeware, password protect files, etc.)  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Swindmill

« Reply #22 on: December 03, 2004, 12:24:53 AM »
      C:\WINDOWS\system32\ssisvr32.exe

I found this in the system 32 folder and it says that it is Secure Exam which is the program I use for taking tests at school.  It locks me out of the rest of the computer when in the program (it's purpose).  This is also to the program that causes my computer to lock up (at least more than it normally does).  It locked up 8 times in 3 hours monday, and it is still locking up after all the viruses I've deleted in the last couple days.   Anyways, I'm not sure what that file is, but it says its Secure Exam.   ???
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 12:26:27 AM by Swindmill »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2004, 02:46:40 AM »
If it is indeed a legitimate of that "school test application" than it sure is a ver weird place to put a exe. Normally .exe are in the folder you installed the application in.

Can you tell me more about that application? If so, I will look into it. But I need more info about it. At least a place where to look for more information about it, and preferably a download site. (even if it is a trial)

Who created it?
Who distributes it?
Does it have a website for more info?

Swindmill

« Reply #24 on: December 03, 2004, 02:54:21 AM »
http://www.softwaresecure.com/

That is the website for the company that is responsible for the software.  I couldn't find a download for the software itself, though.   I'll keep looking.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #25 on: December 03, 2004, 03:02:01 AM »
Blah :(

No download, not even a email address on that site. Or I must have missed it. tel.nr. Only free for those who live in the US. And they call that support? :-\
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 12:35:12 PM by Eddy »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #26 on: December 03, 2004, 11:54:42 AM »
Blah :(

No download, not even a email address on that site. Or I must have missed it. tel.nr. Only free for those who live in the UK. And they call that support? :-\

This is not a UK number it is a Cambridge, MA, USA free phone number

As you say support is poor, but two questions in the FAQ section may be relevant.
What happens when a student's computer crashes in the middle of the exam?
What should students do if their computer freezes during an exam?

Since these are in the FAQ section it may be that this is a regular occurrence to make it into the FAQs.

They also mention if people are experiencing problems.

It is strongly recommended that students using Securexam notify the Technical Help Desk or their Faculty member to report problems and get technical support.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Swindmill

« Reply #27 on: December 03, 2004, 01:41:24 PM »
If I were to unistall the secure exam program from the control panel, should the exe file from the system32 folder uninstall as well?

I downloaded the program from our school's website (password protected, so I can't provide a link).  Could that have caused any problems, as opposed to installing from a disk?

UPDATE:  I uninstalled the program, and when I first hit remove from the control panel, a popup said that a file that was locked needed to be removed and to either ignore it and leave it there, retry, or reboot and retry.  I selected retry and it removed it.  It was that .exe file in the system32 folder.  I went and checked the folder and it was gone.  I'm not sure what significance this has, but i thought I'd let you guys know.

EDIT:  If I can right click download link and save link as, or send link I will do that.  I'm not sure if that works or not, though.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 04:32:36 PM by Swindmill »