Author Topic: windows 98 se-XP  (Read 5962 times)

Neron

windows 98 se-XP
« on: December 01, 2004, 03:06:51 PM »
Hi all!!!I was just thinking if there is any way to save my avast installation,becouse i'm going on XP.I'm not 100% sure but i think taht i just have to donload it again.Am i right?
Thanks to everybody!! ::) :) ;) :D ;D

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:windows 98 se-XP
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2004, 03:07:48 PM »
You have to reinstall Avast again. No other way.

And don't do a upgrade from 98, but a full, clean install of XP.
This will avoid many problems.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2004, 03:08:31 PM by Eddy »

Neron

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2004, 03:08:03 PM »
oh and i'm going to full format(Drvies D and C)so...

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2004, 03:09:25 PM »
Don't forget to put Avast and a firewall on it after installing and before going online!

Neron

« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2004, 03:22:36 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion but after the firewall problem(Installed kerio firewall and after the restart the windows just didn't started so the only way to start the windows was with safe mode)i think if this isn't a problem(besouse i now there are many problems with SP2 and other programs)to install SP2 with the windows firewall.I don't konow if it's a good firewall but...The only think i now is that windows firewall is cheking only the incoming traffik and not the out going

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2004, 03:26:08 PM »
besouse i now there are many problems with SP2 and other programs
Not exactly true. Many so called "problems" are caused by the users who do not look at what changes SP2 has brings and not make theirselfs familiar with them.

Another group of "problems" is caused by user who do upgrade their OS, but keep using old and obsolete applications that where written for dos based OS's like Windows 9x / me and not for NT based ones.

And remember, you are doing a clean installation. So the earlier problems you hade with Kerio are likely gone. But whatever you do, use a firewall before going online. You can use the SP2 firewall as a temporary solution, till you have a better one.

Neron

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2004, 03:35:37 PM »
SO.............You are saying that windows firewall isn't a good solution and i MUST install other firewall software even if i'm not keeping important data.
If so i will go to a programmer(a friend of my father) and tell him to help my with SP2 and other firewall installation not to screw up the things.(When i told him about the firewall accident he didn't know way did this happened ??? ::) 8)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2004, 03:47:54 PM »
SO.............You are saying that windows firewall isn't a good solution and i [/b]MUST install other firewall software even if i'm not keeping important data.
If you have important data on your system or not is not an issue. I'm sure you don't like it when someone messes with your system and you can't use it anymore.

Windows firewall only protects inbound, not outbound. I believe that people not only must prevent their systems from getting infected, but also if for some reason it still happens, they also must try to prevent the infection from spreading further. And that is where the outbound checking is for.

If so i will go to a programmer(a friend of my father) and tell him to help my with SP2 and other firewall installation not to screw up the things.
Don't worry too much. As I said before, this is a clean installation. And it is not likely you will get those problems again.

And another thing. After installing XP, install the motherboard drivers first, before anything else.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2004, 03:50:09 PM by Eddy »

Neron

« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2004, 04:10:43 PM »
What is mother board drivers.I just want to know.I'm not going to install the XP.I don't have the knowlege to do it.So don't worry.He knows what he is doing ;)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2004, 04:18:18 PM »
MOTHERBOARD
A motherboard is the physical arrangement in a computer that contains the computer's basic circuitry and components. On the typical motherboard, the circuitry is imprinted or affixed to the surface of a firm planar surface and usually manufactured in a single step. The most common motherboard design in desktop computers today is the AT, based on the IBM AT motherboard. A more recent motherboard specification, ATX, improves on the AT design. In both the AT and ATX designs, the computer components included in the motherboard are:
The microprocessor
(Optionally) coprocessors
Memory
basic input/output system (BIOS)
Expansion slot
Interconnecting circuitry

Additional components can be added to a motherboard through its expansion slot. The electronic interface between the motherboard and the smaller boards or cards in the expansion slots is called the bus.

DRIVERS
The drivers are softwares needed to run a hardware such as the printer, the monitor, or the scanner properly. The drivers also usually come pre-installed in your new computer. When you run your computer the first time, you may have to configure the correct driver for your brand and model of hardware, such as the printer. But if you buy say, a new printer later, you may have to get a new driver for your new printer from the printer manufacturer. The manufacturer may send you the new driver in the form of floppy disk(s), or you may have to download the driver from the manufacturer's web site. Sometimes the new driver comes packed with the new device in the form of a floppy disk. You just have to install it. Sometimes even for your old device, a better driver may be available from that device's manufacturer. Check the device manufacturer's web site for the latest information.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2004, 04:18:38 PM by Eddy »

techie101

« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2004, 05:15:12 PM »
Neron,

If you are going to use Kerio, then I suggest that you download

Avast for Kerio from the Avast site.

www.avast.com

look under Programs.

This was designed to overcome some of the ills of using Avast with Kerio.

Works great.

Good luck.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2004, 06:28:41 PM »
Save my avast installation

If you tweked your avast installation, it will be good if you save your avast4.ini file to compare with the new one.  ;)
The best things in life are free.

Neron

« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2004, 03:55:23 PM »
And is avast antivirus software detected from Windows XP SP2?

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2004, 04:04:26 PM »
Yes, no problem.

Neron

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2004, 04:08:29 PM »
Thanks!!!