Author Topic: Trojan found and Quarantined  (Read 1703 times)

Foggy

Trojan found and Quarantined
« on: February 13, 2012, 09:07:34 PM »
I play an online RPG game called Torn. I was playing the other night and clicked on a players profile and got a pop up warning saying the site was infected. Can't remember exactly what it said but I did save this message from it.

Infection Details

URL:   hxtp://chris.sharenow.com/A276FCF/sig2.j...
Process:   file://C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\...
Infection:   html:RedirME-inf [Trj]
Warn your friends to avoid this website

I got the message twice from that same player profile and reported it to the "Bugs and Issues" forum the staff run. They did not find that players profile infected. I figured that if it was infected the Trojan had been blocked and thought nothing else of it. A day or two later I noticed my browser was running real sluggish and heard the computer sounding like it was real busy and I wasn't dooing anything to tax the computer...I got suspicious and did a boot scan and Avast found html:RedirME-inf [Trj] in my temporary internet files. I chose the option to quarantine all infected files.

My questions:
1) Can Trojan attachments be placed in an online game to be picked up by other players that are targeted for the Trojan?  As well as only place a limited supply of such Trojans.

2) Since my boot scan found it on my computer does that eliminate the possibility it was a false positive?

3) I have noticed after finding the Trojan that now I have problems at times loading pages on line and can remedy it by flushing the DNS. Could that Trojan have corrupter or sabotaged my IP configuration settings?  If so how do I correct them?

Thanks...I did not see any other thread asking similar questions. Thanks for any help anyone can provide.
« Last Edit: February 13, 2012, 09:10:53 PM by Milos »

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: Trojan found and Quarantined
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 09:57:29 PM »
first...the forum have a virus and worms section   ;)

1: Malicious files can be placed almost anywhere
2: no
3: if you suspect you have a infection, i suggest you let Essexboy have a look inside

Follow this guide and attach all logs....not copy and paste
http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

The url you posted only give me   Invalid hostname.    when i try to scan it ?