Author Topic: Avast hangs when scanning MS Streets & Trips  (Read 9130 times)

X

Re:Avast hangs when scanning MS Streets & Trips
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2004, 09:17:42 PM »
Nope still did it.  Ugh!  This is frustrating.  

I'm inclined to just go back to using AVG, it worked fine and didn't bog down my system so much and I didn't have this problem.  I only switched because they don't have IM scanning integrated.  I like Avast but not if I have to look for each tiny file it's going to hang on.  

Sorry, I'm just really frustrated here.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2004, 09:27:10 PM »
Well, this certainly isn't a normal situation; I'd say it hasn't happend before - sorry for the troubles :-\

Anyway, what does it mean "still did it"? I meant to scan the new folder with this single file inside... to see if it's the one.
OK, how many files are there in the Data folder? Would it be possible to copy them to another folder one by one and scan it each time?
Or, does the lockup happens even of you select "Scan Data" from the context menu of the folder? If yes, it's certainly a faster method for scanning the particular files...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2004, 09:27:41 PM by igor »

X

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2004, 09:49:59 PM »
Ok, here's what I've done.  

I don't use MS streets and Trips anyway so I just uninstalled it.  I will re-scan again and see if the scan completes now that the offending program is gone.

I really do want to thank you for your help, and hopefully I have not offended you or anyone else by becoming frustrated.  .  Hopefully this will take care of the problem and I will not need to ask for more help.  But if my re-scan doesn't run smoothly, to quote Ahrnold "I'll be back".   ;)

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2004, 09:58:19 PM »
What version of MS Streets and Trips was it? We'd really like to fix the problem... maybe we could get the file somewhere.

X

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2004, 10:08:57 PM »
It was old I got it with my WinME computer and transferred it when I got my new WinXP system.  But as I said I didn't use it much anyway.  Who needs that when you've got mapquest and those other free map sites?  Sorry, didn't think to look at the version before I uninstalled it.  

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2004, 10:22:13 PM »
It seems to be a problem with only the old(er?) version of Streets & Maps.

If I remember correctly the data map has all the maps for the cities, countries and such and is pretty large. Could it be that it just looks like Avast is not scanning further?

X

« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2004, 10:37:14 PM »
I suppose it could be but I left it running all night long (11pm - 9am) and it was still not done and was still stuck on or scanning that one file.  I suspect it was stuck because I am evaluating different anit-viruses and it is now Avast's turn.  None of the other programs I had previously had this problem or took so long to scan this file.  And the scans were for identical drives and folders so....?  

I do like the support I get here and the IM coverage avast provides.  

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2004, 12:35:01 AM »
Both me and Pavel actually happen to own a license for Streets and Tips (a new version though).

I'll try to scan the entire CD as soon as I get to the office tomorrow.

thanks
Vlk

If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

conazus

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2004, 01:09:58 AM »
Both me and Pavel actually happen to own a license for Streets and Tips (a new version though).

I'll try to scan the entire CD as soon as I get to the office tomorrow.

thanks
Vlk

I have Streets and Trips installed on 3 systems here. .      2 with Win98SE and one laptop that has XP SP2 on it.     I scanned all three and specifically the data folders and got no stall at all with the scan.