Author Topic: Am VERY new to this, need help..  (Read 4653 times)

Leanne

Am VERY new to this, need help..
« on: December 05, 2004, 02:57:18 AM »
Okay, it might sound like the dumbest question to any of you but it is one I really need help with please. I have avast 4.5, and after doing a thorough scan I get the message that it could not scan a file(s). At least one file is ALWAYS there. This one..
C:\_RESTORE\ARCHIVE\FS45.CAB\...\unp4871160
What does this mean? And is there a way to scan this file(s) as I cannot scan them afterwards, nor move them or repair or anything, as it gives me the warning that a problem has occurred whilest trying to. Thank you in advance.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Am VERY new to this, need help..
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2004, 03:07:19 AM »
Disable system restore, reboot and the problem is solved.

inthewildteam

« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2004, 03:07:41 AM »
Welcome to the forum

If you're using m.e. or xp disable system restore reboot and scan again.

Let us know what happens then.

Leanne

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2004, 07:35:02 AM »
Okay, I disabled System Restore and then scanned and all files were scanned. Thank you very much for the advice it worked!  ;D

I am pretty sure I have to enable System Restore again, but I will ask 1st if I have to or not, do I? (see I told you I was VERY new to this) If I enable it, will the same thing (the 'could not scan this file') come up again next time I scan?  :-\

And just for curiosity's sake... does the fact that it couldnt scan a file in the archives of system restore mean that a previously deleted virus stayed in the system restore archive?  ???

galooma

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2004, 08:08:50 AM »
yes, but by turning off ststem restore ,you automatically dump all your restore points infeced or not .and in answer to your second question yes you should re-activate it again now  ;D ;D

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2004, 10:31:54 AM »
System restore never worked like MS ment it. It is pretty useless for restoring a system after problems. For system restore to work reasonable you need to reserve a lot of diskspace for it.

And what if the drive breaks down? You still won't have nothing. Better is just to let it be disabled and use a image of a newly installed/setup system and incremental backups of the rest.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2004, 01:08:08 PM »
System restore never worked like MS ment it. It is pretty useless for restoring a system after problems. For system restore to work reasonable you need to reserve a lot of diskspace for it.

Norton GoBack is an application that handles the system restore like it must be.
I could never use the MS tools worthfully... When you need it, it won't do anything you need  :P

And what if the drive breaks down? You still won't have nothing. Better is just to let it be disabled and use a image of a newly installed/setup system and incremental backups of the rest.

Yeah, the best solution: backup.
The best things in life are free.

Offline SUSZANNAH

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • There We Are Then
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2004, 02:33:19 AM »
Had system restore on my pc , scans took longer and longer, found out I had 42000 files, disabled it and have  had no problems since, hope this help you decide whether to re-enable or not  :)