Author Topic: "Some Files Could Not Be Scanned" - What does this mean?  (Read 3764 times)

ruthjewell

"Some Files Could Not Be Scanned" - What does this mean?
« on: February 18, 2012, 02:10:55 PM »
The last couple times I've tried to run virus scans with Avast! I've been getting this message, both times with different files. I have no idea what it means and Googling around doesn't seem to help, so... well, the end result is I'm really worried something might be going wrong with my computer.

Scan Run 17/2/12:
C:\Users\All Users - Error: The system cannot find the path specified (3)

Scan Run 18/2/12:
c:\programdata\microsoft\windows defender\definition updates\...\mpengine.dll - Error: The system cannot find the path specified (3)

I've been using Avast! for two or three years now, on several different machines, and have never encountered this message or had any problems with scans skipping files before. I can't help but feel worried about what may be causing this to happen all of a sudden. What's going on and how can I fix it?

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
Re: "Some Files Could Not Be Scanned" - What does this mean?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2012, 02:15:34 PM »
It just avast reporting a scan error.....and it is normal
Files that can not be scanned, are just that.....it does not mean they are infected

In your case it can not find the file.....this is usually gone if You reboot and scan again

As You see the last file belongs to windefender update......so defender have probably removed the file after unpacking the update file......i am guessing here.  ::)

And if You searc the forum for your topic title....You should find lots of cases
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 02:29:38 PM by Pondus »