Author Topic: Considering acquiring EasyPass; Have a couple of questions...  (Read 10938 times)

Offline kls490

• Queen of the house
Considering acquiring EasyPass; Have a couple of questions...
« on: February 04, 2012, 08:03:20 PM »
Good afternoon everyone,

I have been reading through the description of EasyPass, as well as, some of the FAQ's, etc, and I have a couple of questions.

1.  If I am interpreting what I read correctly, it seems EasyPass is storing sensitive info via Avast's online servers.  Given all the numerous reports which seem to be surfacing every other month regarding databases/sites, such as, Steam, Bank of America, and even the Federal Government's being hacked into and millions of people's personal/sensitive data being stolen or otherwise compromised as a result...just HOW secure is my info going to be, if I decide to purchase EP?

It would seem to me that my info would be more secure NOT being in the "cloud", so-to-speak.

2.  How does the product renewal process work?  (i.e. does Avast send an advance email regarding renewal [with the option to not renew]...or do they just go and charge your account)?

Thank you for your time and information!
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 09:00:29 PM by spc3rd »
kls490

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Gargamel360

Re: Considering acquiring EasyPass; Have a couple of questions...
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 08:47:55 PM »
It would seem to me that my info would be more secure NOT being in the "cloud", so-to-speak.
This is a matter of opinion/preference, its debatable which is safer.

Its like comparing saving your money at a bank vs. keeping it in a hard safe at home.

There are reasons the "bank"(server) is safer....there is more security built in than you have at "home"(your PC)....at least there usually is, unless you are extremely paranoid  ;)....the legal repercussions for a break-in/robbery are greater as well.  But you give up control, it requires a level of trust, and the "bank"(server), despite being safer, presents a much juicier target for criminals, maximum payoff for a single attempt.

There is the convenience factor also, without a doubt cloud-tech is convenient, and just like banks slowly eroded home savings methods, the Cloud will do the same, it will soon be considered a stone-age approach to do things the old way. 

Offline kls490

• Queen of the house
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 09:00:05 PM »
Thanks very much for the enlightenment, Asyn and Gargame1360!

Maybe I am a little "over-security-minded.  It just seems like I keep reading increasing numbers of items in various forums about the perils associated with "cloud computing"...which raises significant concerns for me.

Regards,
kls490

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 09:01:09 PM »

You're welcome.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Gargamel360

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2012, 09:06:09 PM »
Np  ;)

and....
Maybe I am a little "over-security-minded.  
....that is not bad....if more people even took the time to even think like this, let alone ask about it and learn, the Web would be a safer place.