Author Topic: Avast IM Shield & SECUNIA; Is Secunia causing recording of many items?  (Read 9898 times)

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
Re: Avast IM Shield & SECUNIA; Is Secunia causing recording of many items?
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2012, 06:10:14 AM »
Who doesn't need flash?

Also if you aren't in the habit of keeping it up to date you might be more likely to try to update it when trying to view something online and get prompted by 'unknown' parties to download an update... which often is malware just saying.

I think maybe?  flash is not part of the original topic, but I will still cover it as this was brought up, as it appears my flash version is insecure.

Secunia PSI scans a system and compares what it finds to a database Secunia maintains.  It is not uncommon for Secunia to be behind for a day or two after a security update release for a program, so even if I updated as soon as the flash OEM release came out (I did) it is still not going to show for a bit. 

It takes a bit of time to implement and deploy.  Ergo, what YoKenny saw and is seeing.

The point of the .gif file was to show that Microsoft still has not fixed a known vulnerability in IE dating from February 2007, and since Secunia, by default, uses IE to transmit these IM messages back and forth, that there may be an unknown or undiscovered exploit waiting to be found by a malicious person.

As it is I use IE only for monthly Windows updates.

As for the flash part, I'd like to think I'm savvy, but even the best and the brightest can be caught unawares.

If I remember correctly, the topic was about Avast! and Secunia originally.  I was just trying to provide more in-depth insight as to what might be going on.  I hope that is okay.
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Saulius

Re: Avast IM Shield & SECUNIA; Is Secunia causing recording of many items?
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2012, 06:47:16 AM »
As for the flash part, I'd like to think I'm savvy, but even the best and the brightest can be caught unawares.

If I remember correctly, the topic was about Avast! and Secunia originally.  I was just trying to provide more in-depth insight as to what might be going on.  I hope that is okay.

Sure is OK, but I'm just suggesting that it isn't good to leave flash behind date for said accidental reason, but alas not everyone is as savvy as you Mchain mkay. Hence that preventative measure with flash and for many other program updating maintenance is the purpose of Secunia PSI, despite the potential IE exploit vulnerability.

More in-depth insight is always a good thing, cheers.