Author Topic: 17 Dial-up "Connect" prompts to download files from Avast?  (Read 4506 times)

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
17 Dial-up "Connect" prompts to download files from Avast?
« on: July 13, 2012, 06:27:03 PM »
Every now and then Avast will send 17 download prompts one after another (I counted them this time and saved each one after the 4th prompt).  I "cancel" each one because I've found that if I choose to "connect" on a prompt my computer slows down drastically and will usually eventually end up freezing up and I have to reboot at least once to get back to normal.

I asked this question about 3 months ago but did not get any explanation. Can anyone PLEASE explain what the NEW download prompts are?

I have done the following:

1. I only connect to the Internet using a Dial-up is CHECKED (always had this setting this way)

2. I have turned OFF ALL "Cloud Services". (suggested to me back then)

3. Turned OFF "Community Features". (suggested to me back then)

4. I have left ON the top"Community"  option called "Participate in the Avast! community".

Should I TURN THIS OFF AS WELL? (#4 above)

I have attached the prompts once again (prompt 4-17).  As we can see each of the 17 prompts will be for me to "connect" for "Avast.###download.com" where the "###" will be a different 3 digit number each time.

Questions:

1. Why all the prompts (which I have to "cancel" to avoid problems)?

2. What can I do to avoid these prompts?
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 06:42:20 PM by lakrsrool »
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
Re: 17 Dial-up "Connect" prompts to download files from Avast?
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2012, 06:31:32 PM »
I am restricted to 3 attachments apparently.

Here are 3 more of the total of 17 Connect Prompts I recently got from Avast to download files one after another when I logged onto my computer (of course not connected, not Dialed-In, to the Internet). Once again as we can see each of the 17 prompts will be for me to "connect" for "Avast.###download.com" where the "###" will be a different 3 digit number each time. one after another until they finally stop after a total of 17 prompts for  different downloads apparently.

I'll leave it at these 6 prompts as this should suffice to get the point across about the total of 17 prompts that I had to "cancel".

THANKS FOR ANY HELP IN ADVANCE!!!
« Last Edit: July 13, 2012, 06:44:24 PM by lakrsrool »
Processor: i3 2.53 GHz 4 GIG RAM, OS: WIN 7, Connection: High Speed, Virus/Malware Protection: Avast-2015, SpywareBlaster, Windows Firewall & Defender. Email: Outlook 2010 w/ POP Peeper Email Notifiers.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2012, 03:45:01 PM »
Hope any of the programmers could help because we, users, don't know much about this new problem.
The best things in life are free.

Offline lakrsrool

• Advanced Poster
  • Get the Picture !
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2012, 06:36:49 PM »
Hope any of the programmers could help because we, users, don't know much about this new problem.

It would be nice if someone had an answer.... but I guess not.... as my post drifts off to the second page with ZERO explanations....

... It's frankly VERY ODD to get 17 individual prompts to "connect" for what appears to be "different" Avast downloads all in succession one after the other with 5 second intervals inbetween each prompt and then even MORE ODD that there are absolutely ZERO explanations for this!!!....   But I guess that's the way of things unfortunately....

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2012, 02:03:23 PM »
what is your avast! version?
Quality is also a feature.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2012, 03:17:24 PM »
In his signature Lukas, "Avast-7 Home" so avast 7 free.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline lukas.hasik

• Avast team
  • Advanced Poster
  • Product manager of Avast Security for Windows
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 06:26:21 PM »
@DaviR - ok, let me be more specific - avast build number? ;) There are now following official releases 7.0.1407, .1426, .1451, .1456
Quality is also a feature.

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2012, 07:57:42 PM »
Digging into some of his recent posts (Yesterday at 08:03:41) it appears to be 7.0.1456:
<snip>
Type of device (netbook, multicore desktop etc): Both a HP Pavilion G series Laptop and HP Presario SR1710NX desktop
Type and version of Avast: Version 7.0.1456
Operating system and version: Windows 7 and Windows XP service pack 3
Firefox version (e.g fx13 or fx14 or ESR): Version 13.0.1
<snip>
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2012, 03:30:33 PM »
When this window appears (while it's still on the screen) - would you be able to create dumps of avast! processes (i.e. AvastSvc.exe and AvastUI.exe), pack them and upload them to our FTP? (They might not be small though...)
It's probably needed to disable avast! self-defense first, and just for sure I'd disable the Behavior Shield temporarily.
In Windows 7, you can create a dump simply from the Task Manager by rightclicking the process.