Author Topic: Avast updating  (Read 9740 times)

a61_a61

Avast updating
« on: November 30, 2004, 04:40:23 PM »
I had a problem updating Avast on my desktop from 4.5.523 to 4.5.542, and finally got it to Update from Add/Remove Programs -> avast antivirus -> Change/Remove -> Update.  See http://forum.avast.com/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=9256;start=15

Went to my Notebook and noticed the same problem with updating. Avast would not update except through Add/Remove Programs -> avast antivirus -> Change/Remove -> Update.

I noticed that clicking on the Update now links does nothing at all.  Anyone know why this happens?  Also is Avast supposed to give some knid of message when clicking on these links?
a61
« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 04:41:59 PM by a61 »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Avast updating
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2004, 04:46:40 PM »
Any errors in Avast's log file?
Have you tried a repair?

a61_a61

« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2004, 04:54:32 PM »
No errors in Errors log, but on the Notice log 16th and 17th there are messages that there is a new version of Avast which I did get.

I haven't tried a repair.

Also is Avast supposed to give some knid of message when clicking on these links?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 04:56:45 PM by a61 »

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2004, 05:41:16 PM »
Also is Avast supposed to give some knid of message when clicking on these links?

No - as the titles says, it should start the program/VPS update (just like when you select the "Update" option from menu). It may take a while (a few seconds) before the dialog appears...

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2004, 05:54:25 PM »
It may take a while (a few seconds) before the dialog appears...

No dialog here...  ::) ???
The best things in life are free.

a61_a61

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2004, 07:34:53 PM »
I just did an update from the menu shown below.
Even if I have the current version of the program or virus db a window comes up showing me the information.

However even with the 4.5.546 version doing an update from the Update Window doesn't work, nor does it give  dialog information as it does when choosing from the menu.

Repair doesn't fix this.

a61
« Last Edit: November 30, 2004, 07:38:21 PM by a61 »

techie101

« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2004, 02:28:38 AM »
a61,

What firewall are you using?

Make sure that you do not have an Avast request for connection blocked.

Sygate users have reported that it changes the settings without user input.

Zone Alarm sometimes "forgets" the settings you give it and does not same them.

Only a suggestion.

Good luck.

a61_a61

« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2004, 01:04:58 PM »
One computer has ZoneAlarm, and the other has Sygate. Both will check for updates if you right click the avast icon in the tray and choose Updating/iAVS or Program Update. After checking for updates a "Summary" windows opens giving you information about the update choice you made.

This method also works Add/Remove Programs -> avast antivirus -> Change/Remove -> Update.

This third method does not work, clicking "Update now" doesn't check avast at all.
Program settings/Update (basic)/Update now.

Did you check yours by the third method to see if it checks for updates?  It's hard to understand why I have two computers both acting the same way, and no one else does.

a61

rosso_acido

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2004, 08:31:18 PM »
This third method does not work, clicking "Update now" doesn't check avast at all.

I've noticed just the same thing on my system (Win 98 SE with the latest Avast updates/upgrades)... I'm not using Zone Alarm or Sygate. :-\

Both the other update methods seem to work fine, though.

R. ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2004, 12:21:04 PM »

I've noticed just the same thing on my system (Win 98 SE with the latest Avast updates/upgrades)... I'm not using Zone Alarm or Sygate. :-\

Both the other update methods seem to work fine, though.

R. ???

The same here with Windows XP SP2  :'(

a61_a61

« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2004, 12:46:22 PM »
I just updated to the 4.5.549 to see if it was fixed and it's stil the same.  Avast will not check for updates if you try Program settings/Update (basic)/Update now.

I wonder if others have checked their Avast to see if theirs works?  I would like to know if this is common.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2004, 12:52:12 PM »
It's working fine here. No problem at all.

Have a look HERE

ps: have you people noticed that the Inews is working again?
« Last Edit: December 03, 2004, 12:59:40 PM by Eddy »

a61_a61

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2004, 01:17:01 PM »
If the Avast program is Started first and you go to Settings/Update (basic)/Update now...it works.  Avast has to be started first.

Try this route and see if it checks.
Right click the Avast tray icon, choose Program settings/Update (basic)/Update now. I know there is the other updating methods, but why this way doesn't is strange.

I did notice the news working :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2004, 03:34:56 PM »
Correction: now it's working to me with 4.5.549  ;)

Offline MikeBCda

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2004, 07:10:51 PM »
No problems here -- I finally gave up waiting for that random-delay ask-when-available thing last night, and a manual update check (from the icon menu) pulled in 549 just fine.

I don't use any firewall, other than the XP SP2 "wannabe", but from what I've seen here so far there doesn't seem to be any real pattern to relating the update problems to a particular firewall, or even lack of one.
Intel Atom D2700, 2 gig RAM, Win 7 x64 SP1 & IE-11, Firefox 51.0
(default). 320 gig HD, 15Mb DSL, Win firewall, Avast 12.3.2280 free, SpywareBlaster, MBAM Prem., Crypto-Prevent