Author Topic: Bug report - Install to sub folder of Applications folder  (Read 2703 times)

pcsupport

Bug report - Install to sub folder of Applications folder
« on: February 28, 2012, 06:54:12 PM »
The latest beta (36227) won't allow me to run it from a sub folder of Applications.

I have all of my user applications stored in subfolders and want to be able to run avast from there.

If other applications can allow it then why not avast?

Offline mity

• Avast team
Re: Bug report - Install to sub folder of Applications folder
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2012, 11:09:24 PM »
It is for two very important purposes required for antivirus:
  • It works as a prevention from installing multiple instances of avast! (which could differ in version). During the 1st run, the main avast! GUI app. installs many components to various parts of the system to provide the protection and it would be really bad to reinstall those depending on what instance has been run the latest time, as well as using mismatching GUI version and the other components as installed by the other instance.
  • It allows making an (almost) automatic update of program on background (well, we hope to provide this in next update) -- the updater will just find the main GUI app on a solid path making the update process much easier.

pcsupport

Re: Bug report - Install to sub folder of Applications folder
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2012, 11:37:00 AM »
A bit of decent coding within the application could easily solve all of your reasons why it can't run from anywhere other than the Applications folder.

I'm sure the avast team can easily do it :)