Author Topic: Is this a fake Avast update or download?  (Read 33481 times)

Somethngcreative

Re: Is this a fake Avast update or download?
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2012, 04:05:09 AM »
I got this today and called them since the forum was not accessible and I was concerned that Avast had been compromised in its own server or something using its own internet connection.

He did a remote look on my computer and insisted it is not Avast but some problem from faulty Windows or some remnant of some other, incompatible program like a registry key left from a long uninstalled Norton that came with the computer.  He said it would be fixed if I paid a windows service tech every couple months to service the computer.  So after 15 or a while minutes that is what he kept saying caused this, or using ccleaner, various things like that so that Avast could not function properly because of a faulty Windows or something from a 3rd party software and thus gave the message others have reported here.

I am not convinced this is the correct cause, but it is what was told to me by the Avast rep on the phone.

Hmm.. I doubt that's the case since Avast Internet Security was the only Anti-virus program that I've ever installed on my new laptop, other than Malwarebytes Pro.

I don't know much about computer but this sounds like a faulty server on their part, maybe it couldn't connect that's why it  was blocked? Nevertheless, it's weird that it's all coming from download117.

thedarkness667

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2012, 04:11:10 AM »

Last blocked connection: http://download117.avast.com/iavs5x/prod-ais.vpx

The link its blocking above seems to be its own update website, so it sounds like its either a bug within the program itself thatll be fixed in future, or a database/server problem. Even if their own systems holding the update data WERE infected (highly unlikely) ...remind yourself of one thing-AVAST notified you, and blocked it anyway! :) so you are safe. A temporary bug or not, it doesnt make you 100% confident about how reliable the program is in general regarding blocking suspect webpages or web data that could well be completely safe. I like avast, its detection rate is good, and I have no issues when using it with other software, so heres hoping its fixed soon. Who knows, perhaps its a minor problem and something on their own site is causing a false positive reaction
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 04:20:18 AM by thedarkness667 »

unfair.cece.it

« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2012, 04:11:52 AM »
just for feedback i got this message too and i know another people who got it too ..

edit: btw is just server down http://www.downforeveryoneorjustme.com/http://download117.avast.com/
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 04:18:00 AM by unfair.cece.it »

thedarkness667

« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2012, 04:25:03 AM »
Im hoping theyll be a notification of some sort within the next 12 hrs (if there hasnt been already) acknowledging the problem, as theres bound to be a few over worried users out there reacting to this

What I dont like about avast ... is that it tells me that it "blocked me" from visiting the suspect link, yet...
 it has a fairly large dark red warning box in the top right actually stating "Infection details"...
which will suggest to many customers that they already have the infection, when the truth is that the program is merely telling them that it has not let them visit the site, so they are completely safe. Perhaps a less harsh red box and change of wording to make things clearer might help lessen the over worry from some users  8)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 04:34:50 AM by thedarkness667 »

Offline EmoHobo

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2012, 04:27:10 AM »
But what about me?  I never got this message and I even tried manually updating a few minutes ago just to see.  Why do some people not suffer of this?

unfair.cece.it

« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2012, 04:31:23 AM »
But what about me?  I never got this message and I even tried manually updating a few minutes ago just to see.  Why do some people not suffer of this?

I dont know how avast select which update server to use , but if program selects another server all works ..

Offline EmoHobo

« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2012, 04:32:25 AM »
So maybe just one server was down and it turned up an error somehow due to it.

thedarkness667

« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2012, 04:41:36 AM »
Im not sure if I can mention it, delete if so, but if you are over worried, then you could always try a scan with other software that can be installed alongside avast, such as malwarebytes. Its good freeware, does not conflict with avast, and I use it as my secondary anti-malware program (if one plays up, I can scan the system using the other) http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_free

Im sure the warnings everyone is experiencing at the moment are likely not to be anything to worry about, and will be fixed soon enough
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 04:45:39 AM by thedarkness667 »

beruco

« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2012, 05:44:16 AM »
I have de same problem with the adress http://download117.avast.com/iavs5x/vps_32-72b-72a.vpx.

Nobneb

« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2012, 08:39:55 AM »
 >:(  just got exactly the same pop up and update warning with infection....5 minute ago just after I switched on my laptop!!

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2012, 08:50:00 AM »
Try updating avast through the UI  if you can't try download this update manually file  from http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/vpsupd.exe (direct link for avast version 5 and 6 users)

Edit: I think avast fixed the problem because i just went to the link avast was blocking from download117.avast.com and i didn't get the virus alert popup.
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2012, 08:54:30 AM »
Hi forum friends,

Assume this has been fixed,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

Offline Anacunga

« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2012, 10:07:39 AM »
Hey Folks, isn't it that kind of "minor issues" showing that AVAST IS REALLY WORKING as it should? I assume that for any reason the update-url got into the list of malicious urls so that AVAST's own update got into trouble and being detected as malware. Sure, is not nice - but with the next update (just following) it was fixed and all is again fine ... :)

Btw: this is harmless - and brings people to really read what the errors avast is reporting are. I remember a similar, but worse kind of problem that really was a bigger issue: once some years ago at night (one'o'clock or else central european time) EVERY running program was considered as malware. If you had set AVAST to automatically delete it you were stuck - but if you did set to ask, you could see what happened. The problem was reported here in the forum - and gone within some one or two hours.

Better that way (to be slightly too strong) than letting through real malware - so AVAST IS REALLY WORKING - and still the best!

scottinaz

« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2012, 02:42:36 PM »
I got this today and called them since the forum was not accessible and I was concerned that Avast had been compromised in its own server or something using its own internet connection.

He did a remote look on my computer and insisted it is not Avast but some problem from faulty Windows or some remnant of some other, incompatible program like a registry key left from a long uninstalled Norton that came with the computer.  He said it would be fixed if I paid a windows service tech every couple months to service the computer.  So after 15 or a while minutes that is what he kept saying caused this, or using ccleaner, various things like that so that Avast could not function properly because of a faulty Windows or something from a 3rd party software and thus gave the message others have reported here.

I am not convinced this is the correct cause, but it is what was told to me by the Avast rep on the phone.
Iyogi doesn't know what they are talking about, I wouldn't trust them.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2012, 02:53:30 PM »

Iyogi doesn't know what they are talking about, I wouldn't trust them.

+1
Ignore iYogi, when they try to sell you some additional stuff..!!!
You always get the best advice for free here. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0