Author Topic: Is this a fake Avast update or download?  (Read 33601 times)

skeptical1

Re: Is this a fake Avast update or download?
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2012, 03:22:40 PM »
This is not "fixed" yet. It just happened to me. In my opinion, it is a marketing gimmick using a false flag warning, because when you click on "show details", it takes you to a page that tries to get you to upgrade to the paid version. Otherwise, why would they block their own URL?

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2012, 03:25:22 PM »
This is not "fixed" yet.

It should be fixed. Any screenshot..?
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

skeptical1

« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2012, 03:37:12 PM »
This is not "fixed" yet.

It should be fixed. Any screenshot..?

No screenshot. The popup disappears after a several seconds. I stand by my original opinion that it's a marketing gimmick. I scanned the URL "download117.avcast.com" at urlvoid.com, and it came back clean.

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #33 on: February 19, 2012, 03:49:15 PM »
Win11 Home [x64] 23H2 @ Windows Defender | FF ESR |
My oldest darling: W2k Pro SP4 & UR1 @ avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1497 | Palemoon & K-Meleon [BOTH MODIFIED for W2k] |

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #34 on: February 19, 2012, 03:52:25 PM »
This is indeed a FP and it was already fixed in the latest defs.

FYI, It was an IP address block (as opposed to a domain name block); the reason for it was that the same IP address was obviously used for some malicious purposes in the past (before it got allocated by the hosting provider to our server).

Pretty interesting, sort of like you buy a house and then a bunch of thugs knock on your door because the previous owner owed them some money. :)

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

scottinaz

« Reply #35 on: February 19, 2012, 03:55:11 PM »

FYI, It was an IP address block (as opposed to a domain name block); the reason for it was that the same IP address was obviously used for some malicious purposes in the past (before it got allocated by the hosting provider to our server).

Pretty interesting, sort of like you buy a house and then a bunch of thugs knock on your door because the previous owner owed them some money. :)

Cheers
Vlk

LOL, Perfect Analogy !

Offline =SKY=

• Super Poster
« Reply #36 on: February 19, 2012, 04:08:48 PM »
VlK, NOW I'm relaxed! ;)
Thank you for the information!

Lol... ;D
Win11 Home [x64] 23H2 @ Windows Defender | FF ESR |
My oldest darling: W2k Pro SP4 & UR1 @ avast! Free Antivirus 8.0.1497 | Palemoon & K-Meleon [BOTH MODIFIED for W2k] |

skeptical1

« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2012, 04:44:42 PM »

Cheers
Vlk

Thanks Vlk. That sounds plausible. Isn't there some way the hosting provider could scan the IP addresses it allocates with avast before they re-use them? It sounds like it would be an easy way to prevent false positives.

drew316

« Reply #38 on: February 19, 2012, 06:54:48 PM »
Re:  "Im not sure if I can mention it, delete if so, but if you are over worried, then you could always try a scan with other software that can be installed alongside avast, such as malwarebytes."

The avast guy on the phone lectured me that malwarebytes cannot be on the same computer as avast, even if mb is not running or is just a left-over registry key after it is uninstalled, and would cause such a popup malfunction. (It was all about how I had messed up my system somehow to cause this; I think they are trained incorrectly to blame the user?) But that is what he said about mb.

anonymous001

« Reply #39 on: February 19, 2012, 07:00:59 PM »
Re:  "Im not sure if I can mention it, delete if so, but if you are over worried, then you could always try a scan with other software that can be installed alongside avast, such as malwarebytes."

The avast guy on the phone lectured me that malwarebytes cannot be on the same computer as avast, even if mb is not running or is just a left-over registry key after it is uninstalled, and would cause such a popup malfunction. (It was all about how I had messed up my system somehow to cause this; I think they are trained incorrectly to blame the user?) But that is what he said about mb.

Unless there was some misunderstanding, the avast! support also said that the Web Shield wouldn't be functional with the free version of avast!

I tested shortly thereafter, and it seems to work with the free version of avast!

Just throwing that out there.

Thank you for the updates, less to worry about (just installed avast! on a freshly formatted computer yesterday when this malware warning notice popped onto the screen.)

Cheers!

Gargamel360

« Reply #40 on: February 19, 2012, 07:05:24 PM »
Re:  "Im not sure if I can mention it, delete if so, but if you are over worried, then you could always try a scan with other software that can be installed alongside avast, such as malwarebytes."  The avast guy on the phone lectured me that malwarebytes cannot be on the same computer as avast, even if mb is not running or is just a left-over registry key after it is uninstalled, and would cause such a popup malfunction. (It was all about how I had messed up my system somehow to cause this; I think they are trained incorrectly to blame the user?) But that is what he said about mb.
Unless there was some misunderstanding, the avast! support also said that the Web Shield wouldn't be functional with the free version of avast!  I tested shortly thereafter, and it seems to work with the free version of avast!
Just throwing that out there.  Thank you for the updates, less to worry about (just installed avast! on a freshly formatted computer yesterday when this malware warning notice popped onto the screen.)   Cheers!
Yeah, you probably talked to iYogi, thats just how smart ( :P ) they are.  Either way, both those statements are false.